Running Fuel During a Run

JohnFilipoff

GoofyDad
Looking for running fuel options, during a run. Needs to be portable via a pocket or run belt. What do you use?

I've used GU for a while now. It's always a sticky mess and I can only stomach half at a time, meaning I'm dealing with a half open pack during the run. On long runs I have to manage 3-4 packs.

Was looking at Gatorade chews or liquid. Seems the chews get so so reviews and with the liquids it seems like a lot of ounces need to be consumed to get the carbs needed per hour.

I carry a belt / hydration pack during training. It holds two bottles plus a zip pouch in front. Usually during races I leave the belt behind and use water stations as needed, unless it's a super hot day then I bring the belt.

I carry a belt, too. For runs longer than 8 miles, I have one belt bottle with tailwind, the other with water. If I'm doing a half, I'll carry a hydration vest with water and still bring the small bottle of tailwind. I also like to chew clifbloks. You probably don't need both (tailwind is supposed to be a complete fueling source), but I like them. Something about having a snack to chew on in the middle of the race helps.

I do a combination of things. In the summer especially I drink a ton of water and I will run with my Camelbak Dart (now sold as the Octane Dart). In the fall I can do about 8 miles without liquid. In a race, unless it's over 80F or so I won't carry the pack because water stations are fine.

For fuel I've tried a ton of things, I find GU doesn't work as well for me consistency wise. I really like Hammer Gel for the consistency and my ability to stomach more than a quarter of the packet. It's still sticky though.

While I've used chews (not specifically Gatorade) I find that they have a varying consistency and I like some better than others. Some can be sticky as well but not nearly as much as any kind of gel.

My favorites for things to fuel with are Skratch Gummies since they taste great and are usually easier to chew. Sports Beans are my runner up.

Everyone is different though, some people don't like to chew while running and won't do any kind of chew, while others like myself prefer it. Overall, I would suggest trying out a few things and see what you like.

I've never liked gels so I've done a couple of different things: Chews (mainly Stinger or Clif), Stinger Waffles, and Sports Beans. I mainly do the beans as they are the easiest for me to eat and don't upset my stomach (plus they taste good). I also really like the waffles (esp the cinnamon one) but those can be harder to carry and eat; I'll do these as a pre-race snack sometimes. I don't use a belt or anything during races so I just stick the beans in a small pocket or something where it won't bounce around and drink the fluids on course.

I've never liked gels so I've done a couple of different things: Chews (mainly Stinger or Clif), Stinger Waffles, and Sports Beans. I mainly do the beans as they are the easiest for me to eat and don't upset my stomach (plus they taste good). I also really like the waffles (esp the cinnamon one) but those can be harder to carry and eat; I'll do these as a pre-race snack sometimes. I don't use a belt or anything during races so I just stick the beans in a small pocket or something where it won't bounce around and drink the fluids on course.

That's pretty spot-on. They taste great, but it's hard to navigate chewing the whole thing during a race. Planning on popping one right before I take off during the Dark Side on Sunday.

Looking for running fuel options, during a run. Needs to be portable via a pocket or run belt. What do you use?

I've used GU for a while now. It's always a sticky mess and I can only stomach half at a time, meaning I'm dealing with a half open pack during the run. On long runs I have to manage 3-4 packs.

Was looking at Gatorade chews or liquid. Seems the chews get so so reviews and with the liquids it seems like a lot of ounces need to be consumed to get the carbs needed per hour.

I carry a belt / hydration pack during training. It holds two bottles plus a zip pouch in front. Usually during races I leave the belt behind and use water stations as needed, unless it's a super hot day then I bring the belt.

I had issues with gels upsetting my stomach until I tried Huma gels. They’ve been awesome and actually taste really good. I’ve used 6-7 of them for a marathon without any stomach upset.

I've really enjoyed the Scratch Labs Fruit Drops Energy chews, they are the easiest on my stomach. Just make sure to open the pack before your fingers get too sweaty! :rotfl2:

Thanks for everyone's advice, I've been using the sport beans for the past couple of weeks. I seem to like them better than the GU I was using. The only hang up is make sure you open them before you begin. It's tough to maintain pace and wrestle with the pack with sweaty hands.

I started out with GU and then beans and chews. Since I found Tailwind, that is all I need. I don't bring anything else and just mix it into my water or gatorade. I use Tailwind on anything half marathon or longer and have had great success with just that.

I second what others have said! I love the Honey Stinger waffles before a run (eat mine with my toast for breakfast). During runs, I carry a water bottle for anything over an hour and use Huma gels and Honey Stinger chews as my fuel. I love the Apple Cinnamon Huma gels, Vanilla/Chocolate Honey Stinger waffles, and fruit punch Honey Stinger chews!

I’m a big fan of Huma gels too and my go to is the strawberry flavor. I enjoy the consistency of the gel and it doesn’t shoot thru my system too fast!

I tend to eat one every 4-5 miles for runs longer than 1 hour. I usually hold a half-eaten packet of Huma for about 3-5 min as I slowly eat it while drinking water with it as well. It does get sticky but I’ll spray some water on my hands after I’m done with it.

I haven’t formulated a plan for my marathon though. Do I carry 5 of them at the start? Should I take the fuel given at the water stops? I’m still thinking it through...

For long runs and races I always use Skratch electrolyte drink. I use a filbert and carry one or two bottles in that. Works nicely. I do use GUs but like others,usually have sticky hands as a result. I love Stinger and Blox chews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter