Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

Groundhog Half Marathon

This was my 4th consecutive year running this race. You never know what kind of conditions you are going to get in February in Michigan. The race takes place in Millenium Park in Grand Rapids. It's run on paved trails and normally they do not plow or groom the trails, but because we had at least 18 inches of snow this week, they at least plowed somewhat for us (thankfully). The half is 3 loops around and the full is 6 loops. They also have a Friday night 1/6 marathon (1 loop) which I've never done, but would like to try it one of these years (it's in the dark and you are required to wear a headlamp).

I got there early to pick up my bib, hoodie, & buff and then hung out in the heated tent to wait for my friend Angie. I bought her a matching groundhog hat like mine and gave it to her for Xmas.
97131040-2D87-4DF2-B605-D9A59EBC993B.jpeg

Soon they were kicking us out of the toasty tent and herding us to the start line. The temperature was 19 degrees at the start and rose to near 30 by the time I was finished. This felt balmy compared to the polar vortex of the previous days.

The start/finish line is on a bridge over a marsh:
47A132F7-360D-44F9-97AE-2DEABEE842FF.jpeg

Loop 1:
It was cold standing there waiting for the start, so I was happy to get moving. That first mile was a bit crowded on the course and I quickly lost Angie, but she always starts too fast, so I was pretty sure I'd catch up with her later. My plan was to run at EB pace (10:47) but with the snow pack being so hard on my ankles, I knew right away that I was going to have to go slower, so I settled into an easy, comfortable pace.

During mile 2 I passed a guy who was attempting to break a Guinness World record for running a marathon wearing the most T-shirts (he had 60 T-shirts on)! Totally weird and funny looking, I'm so mad I didn't get a picture!

I did get some pictures of the pretty sunrise though.
437DD8B4-E3A7-4C8A-A2E4-8F086002F307.jpeg
F7286FDB-815F-4F4C-98AB-0898F1DA402F.jpeg

Loop 2:
I caught up with Angie at an aid station at the start of the loop. We were both feeling pretty good, but we both commented about the uneven terrain being rough on the ankles, so we did our best to stay on the very edge of the trail where it was flatter. I chatted briefly with a woman wearing a Minnie sparkle skirt about Disney races - always fun to run into fellow runDisney fans.

Slow & steady, taking in the scenery.
017F0DC6-97FE-4AB2-9CD5-E64D224650C4.jpeg
79BFC835-8187-49A4-B82F-FF08E15DA67C.jpeg

Loop 3:
I heard someone shout my name and turned to see my cousin - he was finishing and I was just starting my 3rd loop - obviously he is way faster than me. We run a lot of the same races but often miss each other because he doesn't stick around afterward. It's nice to know crazy runs in the family.

So every year during loop 3 I start questioning my sanity. By mile 11, everything was hurting. We briefly considered walking for a bit, but then decided we would get cold again, so we just forged ahead, one foot in front of the other.

We did stop for a selfie:
37F96238-A2F2-4BBC-A6BF-860F7D0B3D6D.jpeg

Then on mile 12 we met and chatted with an amazing women. She was 61 years old and running her 441st marathon!!! And, she had a stroke in 2015, had to learn how to talk again, but got right back to running as soon as she could. I believe she said she is writing a book. Later, I found this article about her:

https://triblive.com/news/projects/...uffering-stroke-this-marathoner-stays-on-pace

Such an inspiration! Talking to her about perseverance was exactly what I needed to hear to get to the finish.

Chip time was 2:35:02.
We received a HUGE bonus medal for running the GR Marathon and the Grounghog! It's a bottle opener too!

983A3B70-922F-4C10-9A4D-C7D5F04C7274.jpeg
1943A787-2799-42EF-86C2-826EBB3B9AB8.jpeg

4CAF91F7-03A4-4BAF-94AD-21E2B73940A2.jpeg

Great race report! And yes you are crazy! Most people are hiding under the covers in that weather! Isn't it funny how super-duper freezing weather for a few days can make a warm up to just regular freezing weather feel balmy. Congrats and those medals are worth it I'm sure.

Love your report and all your awesome photos. The groundhog hats are great. You are a tougher woman than me to run in those conditions!! Congrats.

Great race report! And yes you are crazy! Most people are hiding under the covers in that weather! Isn't it funny how super-duper freezing weather for a few days can make a warm up to just regular freezing weather feel balmy. Congrats and those medals are worth it I'm sure.

The hardest part is just getting out the door in that kind of weather! Once I'm moving, I'm fine. I did take the longest, hottest shower ever when I got home!

Love your report and all your awesome photos. The groundhog hats are great. You are a tougher woman than me to run in those conditions!! Congrats.

Thank you! And all of the people we met who were running the full marathon are way tougher than me...:crazy2:

Way to go on the race. Did you use anything like Yak Trax on that surface? I'm thinking if I end up running long on snow packed roads, it might be a good idea to have something. (She says AFTER doing this last week)

Way to go on the race. Did you use anything like Yak Trax on that surface? I'm thinking if I end up running long on snow packed roads, it might be a good idea to have something. (She says AFTER doing this last week)

Yes, I did use Yak Trax. I definitely think they help. In the past I have also drilled hex screws in the bottom of my shoes, which works well too.

Congrats!! I want to make a cold backside joke, but I won’t :)

That challenge medal is amazing. And you guys were amazing for running on those snowy paths.

My NC self can’t fathom running in that! But I’m also from a state that panics where there is the potential of snow and ice. Those photos are gorgeous!

Great race! That looks both pretty to run and rough for sure on the ankles.

During mile 2 I passed a guy who was attempting to break a Guinness World record for running a marathon wearing the most T-shirts (he had 60 T-shirts on)! Totally weird and funny looking, I'm so mad I didn't get a picture!
Oh my gosh how funny and weird. How could he even move, hahaha!

She was 61 years old and running her 441st marathon!!!
Oh wow, that's insane and inspiring! I'm sure she was fun to chat with.

Oh my gosh how funny and weird. How could he even move, hahaha!

I found a pic of the guy with all the shirts on the GH facebook page:
EC5C489D-684E-4637-9904-0204C9511D36.jpeg

I guess he was a DNF. Tough course and I'm not sure where he was from or why he chose this race, but a bummer he didn't finish. I suppose he probably needed to pick a cold marathon so he didn't overheat under all of those shirts?

Week 5 Training update (a little late)

So it was a crappy week training-wise and otherwise. The Groundhog went well, but the week started out rough with many challenges. Kids had all week off from school and my commutes to work were awful, all due to the polar vortex and snow. Chris had an awful cold and pretty much slept all week.

Monday: A snowstorm hit overnight a dumped about 6 inches of snow, so all I did was help my sons shovel.

Tuesday: 4 miles @EA (treadmill) - Spoiler alert, this is the only workout I completed in its entirety all week.
More snow - about 7 inches.

Wednesday: Was supposed to be 5.6 miles with speed work but I woke up super late. :sad2: I don't know if I turned the alarm off without knowing it, or if I had never set it, but anyway, I got on the treadmill and only had time for 2 miles w/ strides.

More snow - about 3 inches.

Thursday: my yoga class was cancelled due to weather, so I did some yoga at home (50 min.).

More snow - about 2 inches.

Friday: I usually do 40 min on the elliptical but it started making this horrible clunking noise about 15 minutes in, so I abandoned that and walked on the treadmill for a bit. Chris thinks he can fix the clunking on the elliptical, so hopefully that will be functional again by Friday.

Saturday: GH 13.1

Sunday: Was supposed to be 3 miles @EA, but I only did 2 miles on the treadmill because I was really sore and stiff in weird places from the race, so I did about 25 minutes of yoga after that.

So I'm hopeful this week will go better all around.

Here's one more picture of the Groundhog that I found on their FB page - it's my favorite!
E0D38059-7233-4ABF-9BCB-B5E1AA693C97.jpeg

Even with the challenges, you still did something everyday so that's a win in my book! I'm so very over winter and we're expecting ice tomorrow so it looks like winter isn't over me quite yet.

Great job in your race as well! Winter races can be such a crap shoot but sounds like you got the best you could hope for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter