Running On Empty

I hummed and hawed for several weeks until I did not feel guilty anymore and splurged on the 945. I have never spent that much money on a watch before!

This was the first time I used the interval section on the watch. I will look into the website to see if I can program it to what I am after.

Yea, look into the Garmin Connect "workout" feature. I find it fairly easy to program the workouts.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.19.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 10.19.42 AM.png

OK, I am now excited!

I spent the last few days reading, re-reading, and then reading again the "How I write a custom training plan" thread. I admit, I am nowhere near fluent in this, and now I have a true appreciation for the effort and detail @DopeyBadger puts into the custom plans. ...Simply amazing...

With the little nudge in the right direction last week after I posted that terrible plan I came up with, I believe I am now more in line with a plan that will hopefully get me ready for Dopey and keep me away from the over-training I have been doing for the past 21 weeks.

I will describe and comment along the way and please let me know if you think I have made an error or feel I should tweak the plan.

Paces:
The first rabbit hole I went down was the equivalency/ pacing calculations. I read through several threads and articles and tried to figure out which method was being used for the paces posted earlier in this thread. Was it McMillan or Rigel or something else entirely? I settled in on Rigel. I then built a spreadsheet using the T2 = T1 x (D2/D1)^r formula. I populated the various distances and had a table that appears to match the results above pretty closely by using that 5k run I was happy with as the basis for all the numbers. There were some of the values that did not line up, so I just typed in the values for EA, EB, LR, and Lactate. For giggles, I plugged in distances until I could get the Recovery pace provided. It worked out to and equivalent distance of 1,590.71 miles. :rolleyes1

Here are my tables:

The values above are used as look up values for the rest of the training plan I built. That way, if I make a change to my 5k pace, it will flow through the training plan without me having to tweak a million fields. In addition to the standard pace values, I added the +/- 3% columns for the range I should stay in for each of the runs.

Intervals:
Before this week I was afraid of doing anything besides a standard run. Pointing me in this direction opened my eyes to what I should be doing. I took the recommended 8 intervals above and put them into a table.

These are also used as a lookup in the training plan. I added some field to the end of the table to estimate the range for time and distance for each interval.

Why did I make this a lookup table as well? Well, I was reading the "How I write a custom training plan" and came cross a comment in the Q&A section that made me laugh..."I don't have someone run "mile PR" pace for 120 seconds because that's a killer workout."

...Wait a minute...that is what Billy is having me do this week and next week with interval 1! I am running faster than mile pace for 1:54! :oops:

The plan:
Followed the pattern outlined:
  • Days off will be Mondays and Wednesdays...will have 5 days per week of running.
  • Populated Dopey week.
  • Followed the pattern from taper back three weeks for the Saturday and Sunday runs: 60+60 min, 90+90 min, 90+150 min, 90+90 min, 90+150 min, 90+90 min, 90+140 min, 90+90 min, 90+130 min, 90+90 min,... all the way back to week one (90+70 min). The Sundays will alternate between LR and EB and the Saturdays will alternate between EB and EA.
  • I put in a column called "Wk Time 30%" so I could calculate what the weekly time on the road I should shoot for. This is calculated by saying that the Sunday run is the LR and the LR is 30% of all weekly time on the road.
  • I then calculate 80% of the time on road for EA/EB/LR and 20% for hard runs (M Tempo and Intervals)
  • I then populate Thursday as the remaining easy run with an Easy A run. The pace is populated by a lookup formula and the time is calculated as 80% easy time minus Sunday time minus Saturday time. (As Saturday and Sunday are considered always easy/lr runs).
  • I then put in the 8 tempo runs on Tuesdays starting from week one. I repeat the intervals once I get through all of them.
  • I use the entire interval time (including warm up) as a hard run. The values are populated from the intervals table lookup.
  • I take the 20% hard runs time calculated minus the Tuesday interval time to get a M Tempo time for Friday. Some of the Friday's at the beginning of the program did not work out well. They were too short. Therefore I am considering dropping the ones that are under 20 minutes. That will give me an extra day of rest for a couple of weeks. The other option is to just increase the Tempo run to 30 minutes and call it a day.

Here is the table:

I have added extra rows and calculations to fill in actual values after I do the runs. That way I can see how closely I am following the recommendations.

I also had to bump up two of my Saturday EB runs to 1:40:00 because without that, the EA on Thursday would have been more than 2:30:00.

Concerns:
  • Will maxing out at 8:20:00 and an estimated 46.26 miles be enough per week?
  • Will not going longer than an estimated 14 miles in any run be long enough to get me through a marathon on Sunday? (I know...I read that the back to back days are simulating the back half of the marathon, but for a Dopey, are they simulating the back half of a 48.6?)
  • Should I stick to the same 8 intervals 2.5 times or should I change it up after I get through the first set?

Let me know your thoughts and if I am back on track. Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

EA, EB, LR, and Lactate.

So the calculator I use is a mesh of Riegel, Daniels, and Hansons. The EA, EB and LR come from Hansons. I broke down their calculator and determined that the EA, EB, and LR paces were related to what the calculator spit out for M Tempo. So EA is M Tempo + 20%, EB is MT + 12%, LR is MT + 9%, and WU is MT + 28%.

The LT calculation is complicated and simple. The simple one is that it should be roughly your race pace at 60 min. I can't share the more complicated formula because it infringes on Daniels proprietary calculation. Suffice to say I cracked it very close to match what he outputs.

...Wait a minute...that is what Billy is having me do this week and next week with interval 1! I am running faster than mile pace for 1:54! :oops:

Again though, it's because I don't believe your 5k race pace is really your 5k race pace. The original workout was written as 8x400m at 5k pace. However, then you did 8 reps in and around 1:54 with 2 min rest. That workout tells me with a high degree of confidence that that is not your mile pace. Which is why I suggested aiming for the 1:54 in a repeat workout. Hard, but not impossible. It's all about reading and interpreting the data outside of the theoretical stuff.

I take the 20% hard runs time calculated minus the Tuesday interval time to get a M Tempo time for Friday. Some of the Friday's at the beginning of the program did not work out well. They were too short. Therefore I am considering dropping the ones that are under 20 minutes. That will give me an extra day of rest for a couple of weeks. The other option is to just increase the Tempo run to 30 minutes and call it a day.
I then calculate 80% of the time on road for EA/EB/LR and 20% for hard runs (M Tempo and Intervals)

It's important to remember that the 20% should be seen as a guiderail and not a hard number. So some weeks you may have 15% hard or 25% hard. Again it's just about balance and sometimes you'll move around that number.

I have added extra rows and calculations to fill in actual values after I do the runs. That way I can see how closely I am following the recommendations.

I also had to bump up two of my Saturday EB runs to 1:40:00 because without that, the EA on Thursday would have been more than 2:30:00.

So easy days are capped at 60 min. So you don't want to be doing 150 min at EA pace as an easy day. You can do a moderately easy day (like 90 min EB), but that should be probably be once per week at most on a 5 day plan with 2 SOS workouts. So the question then is how do I balance the 30% with not allowing that Thursday run to be so long. Add in distance/duration to the Tuesday and Friday workouts instead. I would move the Friday Tempo workout to Thursday instead and make the Friday workout the EA. Then I'd add mileage in the form of WU/CD to the Tuesday and Friday SOS workouts. I would aim to cap the total time of Tuesday to 90-100 min and the total time of Thursday Tempo at 120 min. The WU/CD can be split evenly, or if you want to make it more difficult you can shift the WU to be more and CD to be less.

Will maxing out at 8:20:00 and an estimated 46.26 miles be enough per week?

Yes. My data from the hundreds of plans says that doing at least 6 hours is around my cutoff for Dopey. You can certainly do more, but I get hesitant with less.

Will not going longer than an estimated 14 miles in any run be long enough to get me through a marathon on Sunday? (I know...I read that the back to back days are simulating the back half of the marathon, but for a Dopey, are they simulating the back half of a 48.6?)

Yes, it will be enough. I've seen less distance be successful for plenty of others given the rest of the cumulative training.

Should I stick to the same 8 intervals 2.5 times or should I change it up after I get through the first set?

No. Stick to a single block for no more than 6-8 weeks. 22 weeks is a long time. So I'd consider breaking the blocks into 3 parts. The first part should be only easy. The second part the 5k pacing. The third part something around HM Tempo or M Tempo - 10sec with longer intervals.

Thank you for being patient and explaining.

Thank you for the insight about how the calculations work. The engineer in me needs to know the inner workings.

My Interval comment about running too fast was suppose to be an attempt at humour...not sure it worked :rolleyes1

What does SOS stand for?

When you are doing a run on Saturday to allow Sunday's workout to simulate the back half of a Marathon, do you keep it as an Easy A/B? Or do you turn it back into something else? Looks like I am doing alternating weeks like this right now:
Break, Intervals, Break, Tempo, EA, EB, LR
Break, Intervals, Break, Tempo,EA, EA, EB

I will do some more reading to understand how the intervals are classified better before building that up.

Thanks again, I will stop bothering you soon 😁

My Interval comment about running too fast was suppose to be an attempt at humour...not sure it worked :rolleyes1

No worries. I took it both ways and made sure to give the info if it was the other way.

What does SOS stand for?

SOS = Something of substance. So not an easy day.

When you are doing a run on Saturday to allow Sunday's workout to simulate the back half of a Marathon, do you keep it as an Easy A/B? Or do you turn it back into something else? Looks like I am doing alternating weeks like this right now:
Break, Intervals, Break, Tempo,EA, EA, EB

In the "off/down" week you can still do a Saturday EB and Sunday LR. The key is that the duration of the Sunday LR on the "off" week is always kept lower than your high week. It takes a while to recover from a >120 min workout unless it's balanced like the Elites do (which almost none of us could handle that type of workload). So you can still do

every week. It's just important to manipulate the duration cap on a week to week basis for the LR to ensure it's truly a "off/down" week. I usually keep those at 90 min or less.

But I don't ever change the Saturday EB run (prior to the Sunday LR) as anything other than EA or EB. I don't do for instance a Sat Tempo + Sun LR. The Tempo on Thursday is enough as it is.

Concerns:
Will not going longer than an estimated 14 miles in any run be long enough to get me through a marathon on Sunday? (I know...I read that the back to back days are simulating the back half of the marathon, but for a Dopey, are they simulating the back half of a 48.6?)

To chime in on this. I used a @DopeyBadger plan for my first marathon as part of dopey in 2019. I am slow and did run/walk. My longest training run was 10.5 miles. I did not have any problems completing the marathon even in the heat

To chime in on this. I used a @DopeyBadger plan for my first marathon as part of dopey in 2019. I am slow and did run/walk. My longest training run was 10.5 miles. I did not have any problems completing the marathon even in the heat
Thank you for chiming in! And congratulations for Dopey 2019!

It is funny how the mind works...In my head I still had the idea that I need to at least run the race distances before I got to the actual event. There have been many examples of where this is not the case.

I have jumped in with both feet now and will put in the work on a @DopeyBadger plan!

Dog Days Are Over
by Florence + the Machine

Happiness, hit her like a train on a track
Coming towards her, stuck still no turning back
She hid around corners and she hid under beds
She killed it with kisses and from it she fled
With every bubble she sank with a drink
And washed it away down the kitchen sink

The dog days are over
The dog days are done
The horses are coming so you better run

Run fast for your mother run fast for your father
Run for your children for your sisters and brothers
Leave all your love and your longing behind you
Can't carry it with you if you want to survive

The dog days are over
The dog days are done
Can't you hear the horses
'Cause here they come

And I never wanted anything from you
Except everything you had
And what was left after that too, oh.

Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back
Struck from a great height
By someone who should know better than that

The dog days are over
The dog days are done
Can you hear the horses
'Cause here they come

Run fast for your mother and fast for your father
Run for your children for your sisters and brothers
Leave all your love and your loving behind you
Can't carry it with you if you want to survive

The dog days are over
The dog days are done
Can you hear the horses
'Cause here they come

The dog days are over
The dog days are done
Can you hear the horses
'Cause here they come
The dog days are over
The dog days are done
The horses are coming
So you better run

Week 22 of 43 (Scratch that)
Week 1 of 22
We are 145 days from the starting line!

I have started counting my weeks over. I was on the wrong path for preparing for Dopey and made a huge change this week based on all the wisdom of @DopeyBadger. (Thanks for being patient with me as I figured out how this all works). Because of the "New" plan, we will just count the weeks based on this new plan. Everything before was just base building!

I think the lyrics above are pertinent. "The dog days are over...the dog days are done..."

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 21.71 miles
  • Running Time = 3:47:49
  • Weights: Chest, Shoulders, Back twice (Monday and Friday) - Arms twice (Tuesday and Saturday) - Legs none ( >:( )
Breakdown:

Monday
  • No running - weights only.
Tuesday
  • Intervals - 0.5mi WU - 8x400m@5k-2m RI
  • 7:02/9:47-7:03/9:28-7:09/9:43-7:38/9:54-7:41/10:01-7:43/10:08-7:37/10:36-7:19/10:03
  • Failed at this one. Went out too fast for the first few intervals and slowed down on the back end.
  • Went by feel. That will change next week when I try again. I now have my watch programmed to not only have the distance/time, but I will have the pace warnings programmed in to hopefully keep me steady.
  • Weights - Arms
Wednesday
  • Off
Thursday
  • Easy A run
  • Time = 0:26:40
  • Pace = 11:43
  • Dist = 2.28 miles
Friday
  • M Tempo
  • Time = 0:10:01
  • Pace = 9:38
  • Dist = 1.04 miles
  • Thursday and Friday will switch starting next week. This was a short run based on the calculations. It will get longer as we progress through the weeks.
  • Weights - Chest, Shoulders, Back
Saturday
  • Easy B run
  • Time = 1:30:06
  • Pace = 10:49
  • Dist = 8.33 miles
  • Weights - Arms
Sunday
  • Long run
  • Time = 1:10:03
  • Pace = 10:52
  • Dist = 6.45 miles
  • Ran into my DS when I got down to 28 minutes left. Ran the last 28 minutes with him.
Overall thoughts this week:
  • I appreciate all the help to get me off the ridiculous plan I had before and set me straight.
  • I am going to need a week or two to settle into the new pacing. TRUST THE PROCESS!
  • I enjoyed the "Easy" runs. Need to make sure I keep them in the slow range.
  • I am a little worried now that non-essential travel across the border has been extended again until Sept 21.
I hope everyone's training is going well. Have a wonderful week!

Second attempt at Intervals:

0.5mi WU - 8x400m@5k-2m RI

Pacing I was shooting for:
  • WU/Recovery = 12:13min/mile - 12:58min/mile
  • 400m = 7:13min/mile - 7:40min/mile ( or 1:48min- 1:55min per interval)
Here is the outcome:
  • WU = 12:10 - ✅
  • INT 1 = 7:34 (1:52.8)- ✅
  • RI1 = 12:10 - ✅
  • INT 2 = 7:17 (1:48.6) - ✅
  • RI 2 = 13:18 - ❌
  • INT 3 = 7:16 (1:48.5) - ✅
  • RI 3 = 12:25 - ✅
  • INT 4 = 7:35 (1:53.2) - ✅
  • RI 4 = 12:27 - ✅
  • INT 5 = 7:29 (1:51.6) - ✅
  • RI 5 = 12:37 - ✅
  • INT 6 = 7:21 (1:49.6) - ✅
  • RI 6 = 12:22 - ✅
  • INT 7 = 7:24 (1:50.4) - ✅
  • RI 7 = 13:40 - ❌ (The temperature was making it hard to recover, implemented a 1min walk, 1min Recovery pace)
  • INT 8 = 7:12 (1:47.3) - ✅ or ❌ (just missed the range on the fast side. Since it was the last lap, I might have tried to finish strong. And what is 07 seconds between friends.
  • RI 8 = 13:44 - ❌ (The temperature was making it hard to recover, implemented a 1min walk, 1min Recovery pace)
  • 0.01 extra on the recovery to make sure Strava picks it up - 12:04 pace
Total Time = 0:36:54
Total Distance = 3.75 miles
Average HR = 153
Max HR = 178

Graph of Target and actual Paces...

How did it feel?
It was a really warm day. Garmin registered 98.5F - 102.2F. That made it really tough to try and keep up the pace. I did not think I would be able to keep up the aggressive pace and make sure I landed in the time window. +/-3.5 seconds is real narrow! I think I did pretty good except for the Recovery misses...I am willing to give myself a pass.

I honestly did not think I could do that pace. And I am super worried about upping the distance to 800m once we get to interval #4!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
How did it feel?
It was a really warm day. Garmin registered 98.5F - 102.2F. That made it really tough to try and keep up the pace. I did not think I would be able to keep up the aggressive pace and make sure I landed in the time window. +/-3.5 seconds is real narrow! I think I did pretty good except for the Recovery misses...I am willing to give myself a pass.

Two things. It was probably a bit too fast. I'm suggesting something around a 1:54. So a +/- would be something like 1:51-1:57. So I'd say 2 in and 6 too fast. A good phrase to keep in mind is, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Maybe it's the right pace, but even being slightly too fast on the pace will build up from week to week and dig a bigger hole.

Second, what was the difference in temp+dew between the first workout and the second one? It's important to realize that the paces we set up will be adjusted based on T+D. So for example, if the first workout was in the 50s and the second in 100s, then you should definitely plan for the second workout to be slower. If you push it harder to hit the paces, then you start to work in an area physiologically that was originally intended. I use the following to adjust pacing as a starting point:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 7.08.19 PM.png

Two things. It was probably a bit too fast. I'm suggesting something around a 1:54. So a +/- would be something like 1:51-1:57. So I'd say 2 in and 6 too fast. A good phrase to keep in mind is, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Maybe it's the right pace, but even being slightly too fast on the pace will build up from week to week and dig a bigger hole.
OK...

I think I had it in my head that I should be doing it at my corrected 400m pace. Using the Rigel formula, that worked out to 07:26/mi. When I put a +/- 3% range on that, it works out to 7:13-7:40. If I then take that range over the 400m distance (0.25 miles) that makes it 1:48 to 1:55.

Looking at 1:54, that is a 7:36 pace. And the range has to be even tighter? Wow that is tough. So are you using the 600m pace for the 400m distance? I calculate that to be 7:37.

Second, what was the difference in temp+dew between the first workout and the second one? It's important to realize that the paces we set up will be adjusted based on T+D. So for example, if the first workout was in the 50s and the second in 100s, then you should definitely plan for the second workout to be slower. If you push it harder to hit the paces, then you start to work in an area physiologically that was originally intended. I use the following to adjust pacing as a starting point:

T+D today around run time was 104.9 (30.3C temp+ 10.2C dew)
T+D last Tuesday was 86.18 (20.1C temp + 10C dew)

I live in a pretty dry climate. Some consider this location to be a northern desert.

OK...

I think I had it in my head that I should be doing it at my corrected 400m pace. Using the Rigel formula, that worked out to 07:26/mi. When I put a +/- 3% range on that, it works out to 7:13-7:40. If I then take that range over the 400m distance (0.25 miles) that makes it 1:48 to 1:55.

Looking at 1:54, that is a 7:36 pace. And the range has to be even tighter? Wow that is tough. So are you using the 600m pace for the 400m distance? I calculate that to be 7:37.

No, the workout is 8x400m at 5k pace. Not 8x400m at 400m pace. So if we go back to your pace chart:

5k pace is 8:39. So 400m reps of 5k pace would be 2:09 per rep. But after the first workout, I evaluated the data and said 8:39 isn't true 5k race pace despite that's what you recently did. So I suggested doing reps of 1:54 min (7:38 min/mile pace). The fact that you're anywhere close to 400m race pace on 8x400m reps tells you that's not even close to your 400m race pace.

As for a 6 second window on 5k reps. That's fairly large. Let's say your goal was 1:51 instead of 1:54. You would have hit 7/8 reps on the previous workout.

T+D today around run time was 104.9 (30.3C temp+ 10.2C dew)
T+D last Tuesday was 86.18 (20.1C temp + 10C dew)

Those calcs use F instead of C.

86.5+50.36 = 136
68.18+50 = 118

So that's a 1% adjustment vs 3% adjustment. So it would be expected that yesterday would have been about 2% slower than the workout last week.

Thanks for explaining and being patient with me. It takes a whie for thinks to sink in...Eventually I will get it.

I updated my paces to match the 7:38 min/mile for 5k and update the tolerance to be +/-2.5%. Here are my updated numbers.

...and the updated workout numbers:

I will modify my runs this week to match these new numbers. I will also adjust for (T+D).

Those numbers reset my Interval to the 1:51-1:57 over 400m.

I was reading an article last night that mentioned Tempo runs should be approximately 25s-30s slower than your 5k race pace. What are your thoughts on that? Right now it looks like we are using marathon pace for the tempo runs...and I am OK with it. I am not out to break any world records.

Thank you again for the support.

Thanks for explaining and being patient with me. It takes a whie for thinks to sink in...Eventually I will get it.

I updated my paces to match the 7:38 min/mile for 5k and update the tolerance to be +/-2.5%. Here are my updated numbers.

...and the updated workout numbers:

I will modify my runs this week to match these new numbers. I will also adjust for (T+D).

Those numbers reset my Interval to the 1:51-1:57 over 400m.

All looks good to me. Now, would you agree that a 10:25 min/mile pace feels ridiculously easy? Would you agree that a pace around a 9:27 min/mile is where you just start to notice your breathing? These are reinforcements as to whether the paces above match the efforts desired for those types of paces.

One thing I'll add is that I'm more of a "prove it" type coach. So I don't like to adjust pacing unless I've seen verifiable proof. So I wouldn't necessarily say you can run a 23:43 5k or 1:49 HM. But rather you're in that range somewhere and when you get actual race data you can hone in on that exact value.

I was reading an article last night that mentioned Tempo runs should be approximately 25s-30s slower than your 5k race pace. What are your thoughts on that? Right now it looks like we are using marathon pace for the tempo runs...and I am OK with it. I am not out to break any world records.

So the word "tempo" is defined a thousand different ways be a thousand different coaches. So it's tricky to use that word from one plan to the next. In the context of "marathon tempo" we're defining the pace (8:41) as the pace at which we believe in a best case fully trained scenario you could run a marathon in. Or, in another sense it's roughly your 99% aerobic pace. So look at the workouts from an effort/physiological sense rather than a "word defined" sense. Three different people could suggest the following workouts:

A - 5 x 1 mile @ Tempo w/ 90 sec resting interval. Tempo is defined as 5K pace + 30 seconds.
B - 5 x 1 mile @ 15k Tempo w/ 90 sec resting interval. Tempo is defined as 15k race pace.
C - 5 x 1 mile @ Lactate Threshold w/ 90 sec resting interval. Lactate Threshold is defined as the race pace at which you could hold for 60 min.

While the words are different in each of these workouts, the workout themselves are almost identical:

A - 5 x 1 mile @ (7:38 + 30 = 8:08 pace) w/ 90 sec resting interval
B - 5 x 1 mile @ (8:09 pace) w/ 90 sec resting interval
C - 5 x 1 mile @ (8:04 pace) w/ 90 sec resting interval

So from a sense of what your body will perceive the workout as, the words are irrelevant.

So I would look at what the workout the article is suggesting you do with the 5k pace + 25-30 s. Are they asking you to do reps of 1 mile, 3 miles, 5 miles, or something sustained like 60 min, 75 min, 90 min? That'll truly determine what the purpose and adaptation from the workout will be. And whether it's defined as a workout like one could do for 10k, HM, or M race paces.

For example, Marathon Tempo workouts can either be sustained or interval reps. I don't like to schedule more than 90 min of sustained M Tempo pace. So for some people that might be 10 miles. For others that might be 6 miles. Maybe we'll do a M Tempo workout like 3 x 3 miles, or 3 x 5 miles, or 4 x 2 miles. Or 5+3+1 miles. M Tempo can also be used in advanced plans as a resting interval pace in over/unders.

...Now, would you agree that a 10:25 min/mile pace feels ridiculously easy? ...Would you agree that a pace around a 9:27 min/mile is where you just start to notice your breathing? These are reinforcements as to whether the paces above match the efforts desired for those types of paces.
Yep.👍

...Would you agree that a pace around a 9:27 min/mile is where you just start to notice your breathing?
Yep, Yep.👍👍 I was doing the runs last week and did feel that they might be too slow, but decided to trust the process. I will see how I feel with the updated numbers this week.

As for the fast HM and 5k numbers...I am sure they would be possible, but I have come to realise I am not in that good of shape to sustain those paces for that long. The speed/hard work is new for me and it will take time for me to adapt.

Thanks for the explanation about the tempo numbers! I don't need to pursue it any further. Was just curious.

Run for Cover
by Gabrielle Aplin

There's a whisper in my chest
It's telling me
The best is yet to come
Hiding in the night
Shadows speak
Telling me to run

We had our chance, but it's over now
We gave it all to the lost and found

The house is burning
Better run for cover
Run for cover
Run for cover
Wheels keep turning
And I'm going under
Going under
I've already packed my promises
They're waiting by the door
The house is burning
Better run for cover
Run for cover
Run for cover

Try to turn away
Got tangled in the past
It's overgrown
I look up to the sky
Try to spread my wings
But that bird's already flown

I'm reaching out for the higher ground
But we gave it all to the lost and found

The house is burning
Better run for cover
Run for cover
Run for cover
Wheels keep turning
And I'm going under
Going under
The house is burning
Better run for cover
Run for cover

We are dreams of foolish gold
Live recklessly with our hearts
And with hands too hard to hold
You wrapped me into your arms
You wrapped me into your arms

The house is burning
Better run for cover
Run for cover
Run for cover

The house is burning
Better run for cover
Run for cover
Run for cover
Wheels keep turning
And I'm going under
Going under
The house is burning
Better run for cover
Run for cover
Run for cover

Week 2 of 22
We are 137 days from the starting line!

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 31.12 miles
  • Running Time = 5:01:02
  • Weights: Chest, Shoulders, Back twice (Monday and Friday) - Arms twice (Tuesday and Saturday) - Legs none ( 521159 )
Breakdown:

Monday
Tuesday
  • 7:34/12:10-7:17/13:18-7:16/12:25-7:35/12:27-7:29/12:37-7:21/12:22-7:24/13:40-7:12/13:44
  • WIll adjust again next week. Used wrong pace and did not include any T+D correction.
  • Weights - Arms
Wednesday
  • Off
Thursday
  • M Tempo
  • Time = 0:23:32
  • Pace = 0:8:53
  • Dist = 3.74 miles
Friday
  • EA
  • Time = 1:00:12
  • Pace = 10:23
  • Dist = 5.8 miles
Saturday
  • EB
  • Time = 1:30:11
  • Pace = 9:39
  • Dist = 9.34 miles
  • Weights - Arms
Sunday
  • LR
  • Time = 1:30:13
  • Pace = 9:24
  • Dist = 9.59 miles
  • WIll go out with my DD tonight to do here C25k run.
  • Started making T+D corrections on Thursday. That seemed to help.
  • Will dial-in my Intervals next week.
  • Got two pairs of New Balance 840v4s to start prepping for MW!

Third attempt at interval number one. I am trying to narrow in on the pace recommended.
  • 01-8x400m@5k-2m RI
  • T+D corrected pacing (7:52) +/- 2.5% range = 1:55 - 2:01 over 400 meters
  • total time 37:16
  • total distance 3.91mi
  • 0.5mi Warm-up - 11:10 pace
  • 1:49.5/2:00 ❌
  • 1:57.1/2:00✅
  • 1:56.5/2:00✅
  • 1:57.6/2:00✅
  • 1:59.1/2:00✅
  • 1:59.1/2:00✅
  • 2:00.5/2:00✅
  • 1:57.2/2:00✅

Runaway
by Del Shannon

As I walk along, I wonder
A what went wrong whit our love
A love that was so strong
And as I still walk on
I think of the thing's we've done
Together, while our hearts were young
I'm a walkin' in the rain
Tears are fallin' and I feel a pain
A wishin' you were here by me
To end this misery
And I wonder, I wa wa wa wa wonder
Why a why why why why why
She ran away
And I wonder where she will stay
My little runaway
My run run run run runaway
I'm a walking in the rain
Tears are fallin' and I feel a pain
A wishin' you were here by me
To end this misery
And I wonder, I wa wa wa wa wonder
Why a why why why why why
She ran away
And I wonder where she will stay
My little runaway
A run run run run
Runaway

Week 3 of 22
We are 127 days from the starting line!

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 28.73 miles
  • Running Time = 4:34:11
  • Weights: Chest, Shoulders, Back twice (Monday and Friday) - Arms twice (Tuesday and Saturday) - Legs none
Breakdown:

Monday
Tuesday
  • Total time: 37:16 Total Distance 3.91 mi.
  • T+D corrected pace = 7:52 or 1:55 - 2:01 over 400 meters
  • 1:49.5/2:00 - 1:57.1/2:00 - 1:56.5/2:00 - 1:57.6/2:00 - 1:59.1/2:00 - 1:59.1/2:00 - 2:00.5/2:00 - 1:57.2/2:00
  • Much better. Felt hard but manageable. Unlike the previous attempts, I felt strong in all intervals. I think I will move on to Interval two next week.
  • Weights - Arms
Wednesday
  • Off
Thursday
  • M Tempo
  • Time = 0:23:07
  • Pace = 0:8:36
  • Dist = 2.69 miles
  • Only 5% T+D correction (still ended up under the suggested pace by 5 seconds...need to fix that)
Friday
  • EA
  • Time = 0:43:32
  • Pace = 10:19
  • Dist = 4.22 miles
  • Only 5% T+D correction (still ended up under the suggested pace by 6 seconds...need to fix that)
Saturday
  • EB
  • Time = 1:30:09
  • Pace = 9:34
  • Dist = 9.42 miles
  • No T+D correction (I hope it is not an early winter here! Below suggested pace by 9 seconds)
  • Weights - Arms
Sunday
  • LR
  • Time = 1:20:07
  • Pace = 9:26
  • Dist = 8.49 miles
  • No T+D correction (I hope it is not an early winter here! Below suggested pace by 1 second)
  • Intervals felt good. Time to move to the 10 intervals instead of 8. This will be the last week I can do it at the track. School starts next week and I do not feel comfortable running on school grounds when the kids are back in school. Will try and find a flat area to do these.
  • I am loving my two new pairs of shoes. The first couple of runs felt different on my feet, but I think they are broken in now.
  • Sunday's run felt good and comfortable. Immediately after the run I quickly ate a Larabar with 10 oz of water and my DS and I headed over to Grandma's house to install a new garage door opener. I let DS run with the installation and just helped and corrected when needed. Took us about 5 hours to remove, assemble, install, test, redo the sensors, and finish (success!). Didn't realize we hadn't really ate or drank all day. Also noticed my legs are sore from all the bending, lifting and ladder climbing today. Need to get those leg workouts back on my schedule!
  • I do not want an early winter this year. Mentally it is tough to get out on the road in a blizzard, put on three layers of clothes and change my running gate on all the ice patches.
This weeks preview:

I finally moved off of the first training interval given to me [8x400m@5k-2m RI] and moved to the second one [10x400m@5k-2m RI] . I also moved away from the track I have been running on and moved to a path location that has a loop in it.
  • T+D corrected pacing (7:52) +/- 2.5% range = 1:55 - 2:01 over 400 meters
  • total time 45:14
  • total distance 4.8 mi
  • 0.5 mi Warm-up - 11:10 pace {actual was 10:55...on the low end of the range}
  1. 1:53.6/2:00 ❌
  2. 1:56.6/2:00 ✅
  3. 1:58.0/2:00 ✅
  4. 2:00.4/2:00 ✅
  5. 1:56.1/2:00 ✅
  6. 2:01.1/2:00 ❌
  7. 1:57.7/2:00 ✅
  8. 1:58.0/2:00 ✅
  9. 2:02.1/2:00 ❌
  10. 1:55.7/2:00 ✅
I was all over the place today. Was hunting for the pace, but could not get it dialed-in. My fitness felt fine during the run and could have done more intervals if required. I think I am ready to progress to the 3rd and 4th intervals over the next two weeks. It will be interesting if I can keep the pace over double the distance.

Runnin' (Lose It All)
by Naughty Boy

These four lonely walls have changed the way I feel
The way I feel
I'm standing still
And nothing else matters now, you're not here
So where are you?
I've been callin' you
I'm missin' you

Where else can I go? Where else can I go?
Chasin' you, chasin' you
Memories turn to dust
Please don't bury us, I got you
I got you

Runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin'
Runnin', runnin', runnin'
Ain't runnin' from myself no more
Together we'll win it all
I ain't runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin'
I'm ready to face it all
If I lose myself, I lose it all

I've outrun the fears that chased
They're standin' still
I'm runnin' still
I'm runnin' still
And every voice that cried inside my head, forever drives
Forever drives
I've killed the lights, oh

Where else can I go?
And where else can I go?
Chasing you, chasing you oh

Runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin'
Together we'll win it all
I ain't runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin'
I'm ready to face it all

Week 4 of 22
We are 121 days from the starting line!

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 32.23 miles
  • Running Time = 5:05:33
  • Weights: Chest, Shoulders, Back twice (Monday and Friday) - Arms twice (Tuesday and Saturday) - Legs twice (Wednesday and Sunday)
Breakdown:

Monday
Tuesday
  • Intervals - 0.5mi WU - 10x400m@5k-2m RI
  • Total time: 45:14 Total Distance 4.80 mi.
  • T+D corrected pace = 7:52 or 1:55 - 2:01 over 400 meters
  • 1:53.6/2:00, 1:56.6/2:00, 1:58.0/2:00, 2:00.4/2:00, 1:56.1/2:00, 2:01.1/2:00, 1:57.7/2:00, 1:58.0/2:00, 2:02.1/2:00, 1:55.7/2:00
  • Moved away from the school track and onto the paths. Felt like I was hunting around the pace. Effort felt fine. Feeling stronger.
  • Weights - Arms
Wednesday
  • Weights - Legs. Finally brought them back into my cross training.
Thursday
  • M Tempo
  • Time = 0:23:07
  • Pace = 0:8:28
  • Dist = 2.73 miles
  • 0.5% T+D correction. Ended at the fast limit of the range (8:28 - 8:54)
Friday
  • EA
  • Time = 1:00:06
  • Pace = 10:14
  • Dist = 5.87 miles
  • 1.0% T+D correction (10:15-10:47). Ended on the fast limit again...slow down!
Saturday
  • EB
  • Time = 1:30:09
  • Pace = 9:37
  • Dist = 9.37 miles
  • 1.5% T+D correction (9:37 - 10:07). It was a hot one for me.
  • Weights - Arms
Sunday
  • LR
  • Time = 1:30:06
  • Pace = 9:31
  • Dist = 9.46 miles
  • No T+D correction (9:13 - 9:42). It is suppose to snow tonight!❄🌨
  • Weights - Legs.
  • Ran mostly on the fast edge of the pace range. That was the wrong choice. By the end of the week I felt worn out. I noticed my HR for similar runs last week were about 5-6 bpm higher. Need to check myself. The load is only going to get larger.
Next week:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter