Running the WDW Resorts

DH and I did a SSR and then through DS run early one morning. There were a good many cast members out there driving "golf carts" and working to prepare DS for a new day, and about half-way through, we got stopped by security and kicked out because DS wasn't open yet. So be sure to check the opening time before you go. If you get there right at "rope drop" you can probably run without having security stop you and before the crowd gathers. I believe @Wendy98 has also been kicked out!

Yep, kicked out in January. It was probably around 7 am. Again, such a waste since it would be so nice--no crowds, flat, well-lit, and safe. And I would have most like bought a coffee and treat when I was done.

Reactions: BFD
What a great thread - thanks for posting this info!!! I'm heading to Saratoga Springs Friday, and hope to be able to do some running there! I also hope to run Fort Wilderness.

Just a quick index of this thread:

Scroll down in this post for Port Orleans
Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness: Running the WDW Resorts
Polynesian/Grand Floridian: Running the WDW Resorts

A week or two ago, I had the idea to start running the Disney World resort paths, just to make my weekend runs a little more fun. I live about 20 minutes away, so it's pretty easy to just head over for an hour or two, especially early in the morning before traffic gets bad. So, I decided to start a thread here and post some photos and information for anyone else thinking about running any of the resort paths.

I found a list and maps of most of the resorts here: http://allears.net/btp/running.htm

I asked about it in another thread, and someone suggested Port Orleans as a good one, so I decided to start there. Here's the map for the Port Orleans running trail: http://allears.net/acc/ResortMaps/port-orleans-french-quarter-map.pdf

full

I wanted to do about 3 miles, and most of the resort paths aren't more than a mile or so. Port Orleans is 1.7 miles if you run from the beginning all the way through and back (red dotted line). The loop around Riverside (blue line) by itself is 1 mile. So I decided to start at the beginning of the trail, run the Riverside loop twice, then back to where I started for a total of 2.7 miles. You could probably add more distance by taking one of the bridges to Ol' Man Island and running the loop around it, but I didn't try that so I'm not sure what that's like.

If you're driving there just for the run, you want to enter at the French Quarter entrance. But if you do like me and accidentally pass it and end up entering at Riverside, it's fine, you can still get to where you want to be from there. Follow the signs to the South Quarter to park, and head over to Building 1.

As suggested in the other thread, I told the nice lady at the gate that I was there to get some beignets, (which was 100% true so not technically a lie) and she let me in with no questions asked and directed me where to go.

The trail starts around the side of Building 1. It's really not clearly marked, so you have to familiarize yourself with the map a little to know what you're looking for. Here's where you start:

View attachment 301928

I got there around 8am on a Sunday, and I wouldn't want to get there much later than that. It was a little foggy to start with, which to me, for some reason, made it seem like the perfect day to run Port Orleans. Something about the river and the Spanish moss on the trees, I guess.

It really is a beautiful path.

View attachment 301929

View attachment 301930

View attachment 301931

View attachment 301932

I only saw a couple of signs indicating there was a running trail throughout the whole thing, so I kept having to stop and refer to the map I had on my phone to make sure I was going the right way. But it is fairly straightforward, and after the first time around, very simple. You basically just stay alongside the river. It's mostly level with only a couple of gentle uphills around the bridges.

The only part I didn't love was where you have to run through the lobby/food court area in the Riverside loop, but that's only because there's obviously a lot more people walking around there. Just follow it around for a short distance, and when you get past the waterwheel, you're back on the regular path.

View attachment 301933

A few minutes in, I saw signs about a Fun Run happening at the same time that I didn't know anything about, so I felt kindof dumb for not checking this out beforehand and trying to get in on it.

View attachment 301934

When I got home, I looked it up. Apparently, this happens every Sunday. It's a $15 fee to run a 1.5 mile course (but you can run an extra loop if you want), and you get 3 free beignets and a "medal" (a plastic medallion on Mardi Gras beads) at the end. I may do it next time. You can run it the way I did for free of course, and you can get 3 beignets for less than $5 at the food court (Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory.) But I guess with the $15 fee, you also get the beads, a bib, and a button. So, some nice keepsakes, if you're into that kind of thing.

Here's a schedule of events for the resort: http://www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php

The payoff:

View attachment 301935

The courtyard outside the food court is a nice place to sit and relax for a bit. Just remember about the beignets: the powdered sugar is like sand at the beach. It gets everywhere and you'll probably be finding it in weird places for weeks to come.

The food court also has water and sports drinks, in addition to lots of options for breakfast, if you need anything like that after your run.

Since I missed signing up for the official race and didn't get a medal, I decided to make my own at the penny press machine.

View attachment 301936

Overall, it was very pleasant, and I will be happy to do it again at some point. Just get started as early as you can to avoid the crowds.

Next week, I'm thinking about trying Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness and back. My plan at this point is to do a new one each week, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice, please feel free.

After all of this input, I'm really anxious to run Saratoga/Disney Springs. Even if they won't let me run through where the shops and everything are, maybe I could park at DS and run over through SS and back. There's usually a security guard standing there at the entrance, I may ask him about it next time I go. Thanks for all the comments. :)

I tried coming across the bridge from the Hilton one morning and there was a guard there stopping people and not letting them into Disney springs.
You might be able to park in the watermelon parking lot and run from there to SSR and/or OKW without running through the shopping area.DisneySprings.GIF

I tried coming across the bridge from the Hilton one morning and there was a guard there stopping people and not letting them into Disney springs.
You might be able to park in the watermelon parking lot and run from there to SSR and/or OKW without running through the shopping area.View attachment 305330

This is really helpful, thank you for the map. I was looking at the SS running map last week and wondering if I could park in the lime garage and run over through the Landing area, I think...I don't have it right in front of me at the moment but I think you may be right about the strawberry lot being the best choice.

I may try to do it this weekend, but I'm not sure yet. I'm taking a few days off to let my knee heal a little after the 5K I did Saturday. If I can keep it short and easy, I may give it a try.

Btw, I made a quick stop by Disney Springs Friday afternoon, around 5ish I guess, and I saw a guy running past me. I turned to watch him and he kept running. He wasn't just in a hurry to get somewhere, he was going for a run. So I thought that was interesting. I'd never try it that time of day, especially on a Friday. I assume at some point, someone asked him to stop. If they could catch him.

I just got back from Saratoga Springs - I loved running there!!! I did a four miler, a five miler, and a 10 miler, and it was never boring. I'm hoping I can run there in the future even if I'm not staying there. As BFD suggested I think I could park at Disney Springs and walk over the bridge to SS. I was tempted to run over to Disney Springs but wasn't sure it would be a good place to run since it's so crowded. The paths at SS were so convenient I was content to do all my running on them.

Just a quick update. I haven't forgotten or lost interest. Three weeks ago, I ran my first official race, so I didn't do any of the resorts that weekend. After that, I took a week off to let my knee heal, because it was really bothering me a lot. Then, I took a spur of the moment trip out of town for a week.

Last Saturday, I was on my way to run Saratoga Springs, and I was about two stoplights away from Disney Springs when the truck in front of me backed into me. So then I had to deal with police, insurance, getting my car towed, etc. Needless to say, the run got postponed until after I got home.

I signed up for another race on April 8, and this weekend I'm going to run that course just to check it out before the race.

So, as of now, my plan is to get back into the resorts in mid April. I still have a lot of them that I haven't done yet, and I also want to go back and do some of the ones I have already done again. So I will be back. :)

I had the opportunity to run Carribean Beach to AOA this week and Saratogo/OKW/to Disney Springs. Unfortunately my applewatch tracked both runs like treadmill runs so I don't have the maps. I'll put together what I did below.

This was my path around Carribean beach. There is a sidewalk along Cayman Way that takes you down and into the Cast Parking lot. I was only on Cayman way for about 50-100 yards and that was right before I crossed to AOA. Since my room was near Martinique my total run was about 3.8 miles (although since my apply watch decided to track using a pedometer not GPS that distance could be off a bit. It was about 6 when I ran so it was a little dark

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 9.12.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 9.12.00 AM.png

IMG_4722 copy.jpg

Since it was dark the only thing I managed to take a pic of was the POP century New Balance Sign
IMG_4662.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 9.12.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 9.12.46 AM.png
    511.7 KB · Views: 0
This morning I ran around Saratoga. First off in the picture above from the Strawberry Parking lot to Saratoga that path will take you on the Golf Cart path. I don't know that you can actually run on it.

For Saratoga I wanted to try and map out a couple of different things.

Here's the Saratoga New Balance sign. I had to take it from a weird Angle because the sun was so bright.
IMG_4717.jpg

To get to the Nature trail that runs to Old Key West. There are two options. The Trail is not really well marked either way.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 9.47.30 AM.png

The path by the check in area is the easiest. Go past the golf carts then Follow the sign to the boat launch
IMG_4710.jpg

When that will put you on a path to the golf course at this point you can share the path with the Golf carts. But when you cross the bridge runners are supposed to turn right. (If you go to the left it takes you past some of the Golf course to the Strawberry Parking lot at Disney Springs)
IMG_4707.jpg

If you follow this trail it will take you all the way into OKW. Where the trail drops you in OKW, if you go straight ahead it will take you to Peninsular Drive which is the main road in OKW.

I also ran around the Surrey/Longer running route in Saratoga. All told it was a little over 5 miles. You could easily get more in OKW.

IMG_4683.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4717 (1).jpg
    IMG_4717 (1).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 3
This is awesome! I have been really curious about Caribbean Beach, we stayed there for a few days last summer just as the construction was getting going, and I was wondering if it was worth it to try to go there for a run before they finish. I've also heard the new Spyglass restaurant there has some really solid breakfast options, which I definitely want to check out. I really like the idea of attaching it to AOA/Pop Century. I may try that too.

I'm also a little more intrigued by your Saratoga Springs pictures...I wasn't sure if I was ready to go try that again since last time was such a disaster. I was trying to think of a different one to do this week, and halfway considering just doing the beignet run at Port Orleans. But it looks really nice, and now I'm torn for what to do next. The maps are a huge help. I probably won't want to do 5 miles, I'll probably keep it to around 3. But I would probably just separate OKW and do that some other time.

I had the opportunity to run Carribean Beach to AOA this week and Saratogo/OKW/to Disney Springs. Unfortunately my applewatch tracked both runs like treadmill runs so I don't have the maps. I'll put together what I did below.

This was my path around Carribean beach. There is a sidewalk along Cayman Way that takes you down and into the Cast Parking lot. I was only on Cayman way for about 50-100 yards and that was right before I crossed to AOA. Since my room was near Martinique my total run was about 3.8 miles (although since my apply watch decided to track using a pedometer not GPS that distance could be off a bit. It was about 6 when I ran so it was a little dark

View attachment 314659 View attachment 314660

View attachment 314656

Since it was dark the only thing I managed to take a pic of was the POP century New Balance Sign
View attachment 314671

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter