Running to the Great Wide Somewhere.

bovie

Mouseketeer
So, after getting sucked in reading training logs while I should be sleeping, I've decided to make one of my own. I've run a total of four half marathons: one in 2013, Princess 2017, Wine and Dine 2018, and Princess 2018. My PR was at Wine and Dine, 2:44:01. I started working with @DopeyBadger (he's amazing!) during Princess this year, but I had a lot going on work wise and wasn't really able to follow the plan. I also ran the 5K and 10K during that weekend, and my time was quite a bit slower. I have plans to run a half in late May, and I'm gunning for a PR there- wishing for 2:40, but we'll see. I really want to run the Disney full marathon in 2019, so that's my mid- range goal.

My biggest obstacle, like most I imagine, is finding the time to run. I work a relatively intense job with frequently long and sometimes erratic hours, and I often struggle to run as much as I want. I figure posting here will give my accountability and perhaps provide some extra support. If nothing else, I've learned a ton about running by lurking around and posting (very) occasionally.

All that said, I just started my @DopeyBadger plan for the Great American River Run in Memphis in May.

Runs scheduled for this week:

Tuesday EA 2 miles @ EA
Complete! Did it on a treadmill so keeping pace was easy. My easy pace is 15:05 (yep, I'm slow), so it's easy to go too fast outdoors. I very much prefer running outside, but it was nearly dark when I left work, so the treadmill it was.

Thursday TEMPO 1 mile WU + 1.5 miles @ Tempo + 0.5 mile CD
Saturday EA 3 miles @ EA + Strides
Sunday Long Run 4 miles @ Long Run

I hope everyone else's running is going well, and I looking forward to posting here with y'all!

I'm excited to follow along with your training! I did my first attempt at a full marathon at Disney in 2018 and I didn't finish but I'm going to try again this year with a Dopey Badger plan and hopefully that will help :)

Tempo run today! Was meant to be yesterday, but work stuff got in the way. The plan was for 0.5 miles WU/ CD (16:00) with 1.5 miles in the middle (12:15). The results

0.5 @ 15:44
1.5 @ 11:38 (11:30 for the first mile, 11:52 for the second 0.5)
0.5 @ 16:33 (I walked the first half of this because I thought my walking pace was close to this. Not so much- it was quite a bit slower. I jogged the last quarter mile)

Overall, I'm reasonably pleased. I got ready to run and the Garmin was dead, so I depended on the Runkeeper app for pace. It doesn't seem as accurate, and I had to set it as a different workout for each section. I think my pace would've been more on point with that to help. It was hard to tell if i was going too fast or slow. Guess it's better to be a touch fast?

Guess it's better to be a touch fast?

Honestly, it's better to be too slow if the slowdown isn't caused by a fatigue fade. Being too fast puts you at risk for changing the adaptations from the workout. It's early though so don't sweat it. Nice to be too fast a few times... :thumbsup2

Honestly, it's better to be too slow if the slowdown isn't caused by a fatigue fade. Being too fast puts you at risk for changing the adaptations from the workout. It's early though so don't sweat it. Nice to be too fast a few times... :thumbsup2

Okay, I will remember that for next time. So much of this is counterintuitive!

My mom is in town and she went for a walk yesterday during my easy run. She was so confused as to why I had to run slow on purpose! That said, goal for yesterday was three miles at my EA pace, 15:05. For some reason, my Garmin connect isn't showing me splits for this one, but my average pace for the three miles was 14:58. I'm 95% sure that all three miles were within a couple seconds of that. Today was the first time I've actually sent a planned run to my watch instead of just looking down to check my pace as I went. Once I got in the groove, maybe a quarter mile in, it was pretty easy to lock in that pace I needed.

Okay, I will remember that for next time. So much of this is counterintuitive!

My mom is in town and she went for a walk yesterday during my easy run. She was so confused as to why I had to run slow on purpose! That said, goal for yesterday was three miles at my EA pace, 15:05. For some reason, my Garmin connect isn't showing me splits for this one, but my average pace for the three miles was 14:58. I'm 95% sure that all three miles were within a couple seconds of that. Today was the first time I've actually sent a planned run to my watch instead of just looking down to check my pace as I went. Once I got in the groove, maybe a quarter mile in, it was pretty easy to lock in that pace I needed.

If you set it to do a planned run (like 3 miles), then it counts that as a lap. On some watches it supersedes the 1 mile lap split function. For those, I usually write a plan on Garmin Connect that has 3 x 1 mile. That way it's still three miles, but also still gives you intermediate splits.

If you set it to do a planned run (like 3 miles), then it counts that as a lap. On some watches it supersedes the 1 mile lap split function. For those, I usually write a plan on Garmin Connect that has 3 x 1 mile. That way it's still three miles, but also still gives you intermediate splits.

Ah, I tried this and it worked. Thanks!

Hit my long run (not actually long at this point in the cycle today. Goal was 13:40 and I hit the intervals at 13:33, 13:44, 13:38, and 13:32. I kept feeling myself want to pull away faster, but the Garmin beeped and slowed me down.

All in all, I hit all four runs this week. Yes, 3/4 were on Fri/ Sat/ Sun, so not ideal for recovery, but at least I got it done. I'm happy.

Working a lot this week, but proud of myself for running anyway. I was scheduled to do my tempo run Thursday night but wound up working late. I got up before five Friday morning and did it on the treadmill before work. Super easy to hit pace on the treadmill; it's like cheating. Hopefully the gym treadmill is reasonably accurate! Worked a 24h call Friday and just made it home. Call was unusually light, and I got like three hours of sleep, which is unheard of. Still need to squeeze in a five mile long run before the weekend is over- probably either after a nap today or after tomorrow's workday.

I'm trying to show myself it's possible to work a lot and keep running. I love what I do, and I love to run. I know there will definitely be weeks where I'm better off resting than running, but I want to hit the pavement when I can and not make excuses.

I didn't pull off my five mile long run this weekend, but I did do it today (Monday). Gym was closed by the time I left work yesterday. I got done at a reasonable time today, and it was much nicer to run outside anyway. Haven't synced Garmin to see my splits yet, but I think I was reasonably close, maybe a touch fast. I feel like I should be able to do my planned 3m @ EA tomorrow and get synced back with the plan.

I have a cold this week and I've felt moderately crummy. I skipped my easy run on Tuesday in the hopes that it would get better. Can't say that I'm all that improved, but I did my tempo run today. It was beautiful outside. I had a hard time slowing down, even on the tempo portion. Haven't synced the Garmin yet, but I think I was closer to 11:55 than 12:15. My WU/ CD pace is 16:00, and it's hard to go that slow and still be running. Next week I do 2.5 miles at tempo, so I'm sure that will be harder than today's 1.5. Overall loving this plan @DopeyBadger! Drank some chocolate milk after too:).

Took call Friday, worked a regular day today, and ran after work. Four miles at LR (13:40). Hit them at 13:35, 13:39, 13:27, and 13:30. I'm happy.

Tried for three miles at EB today, 14:08. Wound up averaging 13:43. I had entered the workout in Garmin a long time ago, before i figured out how to split each mile into a segment. I really struggled to slow down today. @DopeyBadger, at what point during the training cycle would you consider reevaluating and changing paces? Not saying we should, just curious.

Tried for three miles at EB today, 14:08. Wound up averaging 13:43. I had entered the workout in Garmin a long time ago, before i figured out how to split each mile into a segment. I really struggled to slow down today. @DopeyBadger, at what point during the training cycle would you consider reevaluating and changing paces? Not saying we should, just curious.

That's pretty close (14:08 vs 13:43), so I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Generally we change paces if:

A) You prove it in a race.
B) I get some indications in training.

How have the Tempo workouts been going thus far? Have you been doing almost 100% of the scheduled mileage? I'm really wary of changing any paces within 8 weeks to racing because of the bodies adaptation scheme. You're at 7 weeks to go, so we're unlikely to change anything until after the HM.

Tempo workouts have been fine- actually had to work to slow down- but they get longer tomorrow, so I'm sure it'll be harder. I've been doing just about 100%. Think I missed one when I had a cold last week. I'm happy with not changing things now; I was just curious. I still have a lot of work to do in terms of learning how to run at a ace without having to spend the whole time slowing down when the Garmin beeps. Thanks for your help as always!

New longer tempo run today! Goal was 2.5 m at 12:15 with 0.5 m WU/ CD at 16:00.

Results:
0.5 at 15:41
1.0 at 12:02
1.0 at 12:09
0.5 at 12:09
0.5 at 15:14

I feel pretty good about this one. It felt nice to run hard. I had something on my mind and ran the first chunk with no music without even realizing it (this never happens for me). Even so, I feel solid, not completely depleted.

Looking forward to two weekend runs this weekend!

Not working this weekend. Enjoyed a lazy day today- read almost a whole book and snuggled with the pup. Ran four at EA in the rain this evening. It was hard to leave the warm couch for the wet! Goal 15:05; I hit them at 14:50, 15:01, 15:20, and 14:50. Looking forward to long run tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!