Rushed at Remy?

meremac

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

We just got off the Disney Dream last Friday. It was my 6th Disney Cruise, and it was amazing as always...except for one thing: our experience at Remy. DH and I have never dined there before, so we were really looking forward to it. We decided to spring for the wine pairing, so it was a very expensive meal. We made sure our server knew that our kids are older and were totally occupied, so we had absolutely nowhere to be and we wanted to take our time. From the very first course, however, the opposite happened. I took a few bites and stopped to finish my conversation with DH. Our server immediately appeared and asked if I didn't like my food. I said I loved it, but I reiterated that I wanted to take my time. This happened over and over again. We would barely finish the last bite of one course before the other one materialized. Sometimes, the food arrived significantly before the wine did...so it just sat there getting cold while we waited for the sommelier. The entire meal took about 1.5 hours from start to finish, shorter than some of our meals in the Main Dining Room. It absolutely wasn't a wash: the food was phenomenal, and the service was very attentive (just a little TOO attentive). With a $500 bill (with gratuity), we were just hoping for a longer experience. Is this normal at Remy?

I’ve dined there four times. They keep the courses coming at a steady pace, for sure, but I don’t know if I’ve ever felt like I was being “rushed”.

Likewise, I’ve never had them ask if we didn’t like our food because we were eating too slow.

I guess everyone has different expectations... for DH and I, 1.5 hours would be a "long meal"....... I'm certain they have some sort of expectations for how long your mean should last, since they have other reservations/guests that will be arriving at their appointed time. If everyone opted to "take their time," they would not be able to seat other guests with ressies.

I guess everyone has different expectations... for DH and I, 1.5 hours would be a "long meal"....... I'm certain they have some sort of expectations for how long your mean should last, since they have other reservations/guests that will be arriving at their appointed time. If everyone opted to "take their time," they would not be able to seat other guests with ressies.

I would agree with this, except there were only two other parties in the restaurant. There were at least a dozen empty tables. The wine pairing at Palo for usually takes us between 2-2.5 hours, so I guess I was expecting something similar. Edit: Our dinner was scheduled for 6:40pm, and our schedule said 6:40pm-9:40pm, so I assumed it would take most of that time.

I’ve dined there four times. They keep the courses coming at a steady pace, for sure, but I don’t know if I’ve ever felt like I was being “rushed”.

Likewise, I’ve never had them ask if we didn’t like our food because we were eating too slow.

I thought that was really strange. DH was laughing because it had literally been two minutes since our last bite. We were just sipping our wine and finishing a conversation. Have you done the wine pairing at Remy before? Is it normal for the food to arrive before the wine so it just sits on the table in front of you until the sommelier arrives? I'd really like to try this again on our next cruise, but I won't do that if this is the norm.

Last edited:
I thought that was really strange. DH was laughing because it had literally been two minutes since our last bite. We were just sipping our wine and finishing a conversation. Have you done the wine pairing at Remy before? Is it normal for the food to arrive before the wine so it just sits on the table in front of you until the sommelier arrives? I'd really like to try this again on our next cruise, but I won't do that if this is the norm.

It sounds like either you and your husband eat really slow, or something was happening that day that caused your serving team to be “off.”

I cannot recall any sizable gap of time between a course and its accompanying wine.

It sounds like either you and your husband eat really slow, or something was happening that day that caused your serving team to be “off.”

I cannot recall any sizable gap of time between a course and its accompanying wine.

Thanks. It felt off but I couldn't be sure since I've never eaten there before. And it's hard to understand why since there were a total of three parties in the restaurant. Honestly, we really don't eat that slow lol. But that many courses should take some time. When I got up to use the restroom, I overheard one of the other couples saying that it felt like the servers just wanted to be finished early (or something along those lines). During their cheese course, I noticed that the sommelier actually had to flag down the servers to give that table some bread (the servers just didn't bring any with the cheese). I'll chalk this up to a one-off and try it again next time!

When I got up to use the restroom, I overheard one of the other couples saying that it felt like the servers just wanted to be finished early (or something along those lines).

I’m honestly thinking that may have been it. Which is a shame, given what you paid for that meal. 😕

I’m sorry you had this experience. That seems really off their usual. We’ve had dinner at Remy 11 times (7 on the Fantasy and 4 on the Dream), and our dinners generally take about 3 hours. In our experiences, the servers always strive to time the presentation of each course perfectly, although we have had a wine pairing off on a couple of occasions when the sommelier was really busy, but even so it was only a slight delay in getting the wine. I’m especially surprised, because I believe Benoit is currently the maitre d’ on the Dream, and in our experience he runs a very tight operation, closely supervising the servers and ensuring that everything is as close to perfect as possible.

We’ve had dinner there without wine pairing and it took Well over 2 hours. Sounds like something was off and maybe because it was slow the servers tried to get it over as quickly as possible. I would hVe definitely asked for the maitre d’ and asked that service slow down.

Our dinner was in the 2+hour category as well. And the service was perfection (Dream). They must have been having a really bad night. Shame given how much it costs to eat there.

That really seems off. And it said to know that it wasn't a cheap dinner. Maybe it was an overnight stay, so the crew wants to go out? sounds silly, but just thinking out loud.
We had a wonderful dinner when dining in Remy. If I am not mistaken it took 2 - 2.5 hours. I do hope it doesn't stop you from trying again. It truly is quite amazing!

I'm sorry you were there on an off night. I'd love to do this but I think it would be too weird as a solo, sticking with Brunch instead.

I'm sorry you were there on an off night. I'd love to do this but I think it would be too weird as a solo, sticking with Brunch instead.
You should of course do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but we’ve seen solo diners at Remy dinner in the past. If it’s something you think you’d really enjoy, I think the staff would do their best to make it a comfortable experience for you.

You should of course do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but we’ve seen solo diners at Remy dinner in the past. If it’s something you think you’d really enjoy, I think the staff would do their best to make it a comfortable experience for you.
oh I am sure the servers would be lovely! I have never really dined solo before but booked both brunches because I think the atmopsheres will be less romantic during the day with daylight and being able to see out - hoping for a window table both times! It's already out of my comfort zone a bit to do the brunches!

I debated strongly about dinner but since I am traveling with my son I decided we'd do shows and dinners together as I'm not expecting to see all that much of him during the day (he's 11 and already much less attached to mommy than he used to be :sad:)

This will be our first cruise and I am wondering if we should book Remy or Palo or should we just go with the flow and just learn the ship this first time and eat where they assign us?

This will be our first cruise and I am wondering if we should book Remy or Palo or should we just go with the flow and just learn the ship this first time and eat where they assign us?

I did Palo brunch with my SIL on our first cruise and it was really nice. (The server was great). We're in the pre-pre-planning stages of a summer 2021 cruise (there are 12 of us in the party) - and my SIL already told my other SIL, she had to come with us this time.

Does the DCL website show pricing for brunch and dinner at Remy and Palo? Does Remy have brunch offerings as well?

Does the DCL website show pricing for brunch and dinner at Remy and Palo? Does Remy have brunch offerings as well?

Palo Dinner and Brunch are both $40
Remy Brunch is $75
Remy Dinner is $125

We did the brunch with champagne pairings and everything was timed perfectly, and it was a little under 2 hours, so I would have expected dinner would be longer. Going to chock it up to an off night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!