Ruth's Chris ???

:scared1: That is insane. Is he meeting with people who consider themselves to be "at that level" or are they just taking full advantage of their company policies? If it's the former, his company should recognize that fact and up his allowance, if the dinners are mandatory. If it's the latter, well, I'd be suggesting less expensive restaurants if it were me.

Sounds like maybe a public employee. Many times our Chiefs of Staff and General Counsels have to dine with CEO's and such. Its against the law to have them accept a dinner over a certain dollar amount and unfortunately, when you're trying to woo someone to do business with your state, Longhorn just isn't going to cut it, so the public employee just pays out of pocket. We do have a form that you can request a special exemptions, but the hoops and signatures required are ridiculous. That's my guess....

Sounds like maybe a public employee. Many times our Chiefs of Staff and General Counsels have to dine with CEO's and such. Its against the law to have them accept a dinner over a certain dollar amount and unfortunately, when you're trying to woo someone to do business with your state, Longhorn just isn't going to cut it, so the public employee just pays out of pocket. We do have a form that you can request a special exemptions, but the hoops and signatures required are ridiculous. That's my guess....
In that case wouldn’t the ones doing the “wooing”, presumably the state officials, be picking up the whole tab? A little off topic I guess, but I’m just trying to understand your example.

We used to LOVE it. Not really any more. The prices have gone up and the quality has gone down. The last time we ate at one (a few weeks ago), we said never again.

I am not sure anyone is wooing anyone in DH's case. If anything it is the industry people wooing him, not the other way around. But I am sure they have no idea he only gets a $26 per diem/dinner rate. And he is definitely not allowed to have them pick up the bill. As far as I know there is no way to get reimbursed for more. He just sucks it up. Sometimes he will get fast food, so not near $26 so eventually, after many travels, lol it may even out, depending on how many of the fancy dinners he does in a year. He gets so much per day and the $26 is just for dinner, smaller amount for breakfast and lunch and usually does not eat 3 meals, so I guess could add the breakfast and dinner amount to make it look not as bad. Though today is not a full travel day so he may only get the dinner $, not sure.

While the original is closed, the ones here are still very good IMO. Although my dad swore the original was the best ever. But maybe it’s like the Popeyes thing. I hear the Popeyes “abroad” aren’t as good as the ones here. Idk never eaten at either one outside of here.

Its TRUE about Popeyes! LOL

We eat at Popeyes every time we go to New Orleans or Slidell. Its just better. I have no idea why.

In that case wouldn’t the ones doing the “wooing”, presumably the state officials, be picking up the whole tab? A little off topic I guess, but I’m just trying to understand your example.

No. Its as easy as that. We don't wooo over a meal, the wooing is done in our office, the meal comes into play when its a "closing" meal. worked in 2 governor's offices and for 4 agency directors. The state is a different animal. When we woooo, the wooo'ee flies in on their own dime too. We offer tax incentives, that's our give.

You guys are fancy..we don’t have one here. We do have an IHOP and a Popeyes though lol
None around me either. I don't have IHOP or Popeyes either. Applebees, Chili's, or Red Lobster is all I have available. And I couldn't afford the $47 or $51 for a steak anyways. That's half my grocery budget.

It advertises corn fed beef. I have a freezer full of home grown rotationally grazed grass fed beef that my kids have watched being born, named, petted, and fed every one of them. I'll stick with that.

None around me either. I don't have IHOP or Popeyes either. Applebees, Chili's, or Red Lobster is all I have available. And I couldn't afford the $47 or $51 for a steak anyways. That's half my grocery budget.

It advertises corn fed beef. I have a freezer full of home grown rotationally grazed grass fed beef that my kids have watched being born, named, petted, and fed every one of them. I'll stick with that.
:thumbsup2 Totally. I'm actually surprised to see the Canadian locations of Ruth's Chris serves corn-fed USDA prime. Corn is not a feed-crop here and beef raised on it is very odd to our taste.

I've been once, for lunch after my college graduation. It was good, but there was some major sticker shock (and I wasn't even the one paying). I like our local Portuguese restaurant where I can cook my own steak on a hot rock for $20-27 (NY strip or filet) including soup/salad and sides.

I know this is going to sound weird, but we go there for Thanksgiving dinner every year. They have a delicious turkey dinner with a salad, turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry, one side (creamed spinach, yam casserole, or potatoes au gratin) and dessert. It's very reasonably priced compared to other Thanksgiving dinners out and they send you home with a whole separate meal of "leftovers" that is prepared for everyone regardless of what you eat off your own plate.
If you usually eat out for Thanksgiving, give it a try!

DH is on business travel tomorrow and already knows he has a dinner at Ruth's Chris with some people he is meeting. I am sure the people who picked the restaurant are on expense accounts, but DH is on per diem. That $26 doesn't go very far with these types of places. Happens to him often though. He knows I get irritated when I see the bill for just him at these types of places, so he has already prepared me. I can be prepared and irritated though. lol

Whatever isn't covered might be tax deductible but at 50%. I've recently done consulting work and know that when I'm on business and the client doesn't cover an expense, I can deduct it on my own taxes. However, I primarily work out of a home office and I'm not sure if employees are different.

No. Its as easy as that. We don't wooo over a meal, the wooing is done in our office, the meal comes into play when its a "closing" meal. worked in 2 governor's offices and for 4 agency directors. The state is a different animal. When we woooo, the wooo'ee flies in on their own dime too. We offer tax incentives, that's our give.
Probably there are rules about that, especially with public agencies. I think there used to be a limit though for many public agencies, but then reports that government workers were essentially accepting bribes put an end to that.

The oddest thing I remember was when a coworker of mine told me that he went to see a show in Las Vegas paid for by the client. Usually it's the vendor paying for entertainment expenses.

:thumbsup2 Totally. I'm actually surprised to see the Canadian locations of Ruth's Chris serves corn-fed USDA prime. Corn is not a feed-crop here and beef raised on it is very odd to our taste.

I think they're generally still grazing on grass, but "finished" on corn or some other grain to make the meat more fatty/marbled. I'm OK with either type. We have plenty of grass-fed cattle ranches, but also the big ones with a feedlot like Harris Ranch in the Central Valley.

I remember seeing some TV show where the premise was of tribesmen from a South Pacific island coming to the US on a cultural mission. Some of them knew about farming practices. Their first host was a Montana cattle rancher. He showed them how he fed them dry hay in winter when there was a lack of grass to graze on. One tribesman noted that "They'll die if that's all they eat." where the rancher replied, "That's why we feed them antibiotics."

We've only been once, we don't have them where we live so we tried them the night before our last cruise in March (in San Diego). Service was excellent, food was decent, but overall we found it very overpriced for what it was. I wouldn't go again.

I’ve only been once, and it was awesome. It was all expensed, so that definitely helped, but I did enjoy the food. One of our corporate muckety-mucks was in town, and he got us our own room, and he was one of those work hard-play hard guys, so he ordered great wines and tons of appetizers for the group. I got the double filet, and it was so cool when it came out sizzling in butter on the plate. And it cut like butter too. Then we had a variety of great desserts. I can’t remember who rolled me out of there. Yep. Pretty awesome.

Omg. I’d be a vegetarian. Lol. No way i could do that. To eat meat it has to come on a styrofoam package!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter