RV camping with 8

mathhouse88

Earning My Ears
Hey, campers!

We're planning to be at Fort Wilderness in May at a preferred site with our family of 8 (kids are 16, 12, 8, 6, 4, 2). We do have a golf cart rented, but it's just your typical 4-seater (we got a good deal on this cart rental from the company we are using for the RV...don't want to fork out an extra $400ish to rent another from Disney). My main concern at this point is figuring out the best way to get to the main bus stop each morning. We're big rope-drop people, and I love figuring out all the logistics. I know that we'll be ideally located for the MK boat, but on our other parks days, what do you all recommend? Our older three are proficient enough bike riders to bike to the bus stop, but we'd have to invest in lights for their bikes, etc if we go that route. At this point we're considering doing two ride shifts in the cart each morning (with the second group potentially heading out on foot to save time), but I have no clue as to the layout of cart paths/how they intersect with walking paths...also no clue how long a one way trip might take from preferred RV loops to the main bus stop.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

You could always take the internal bus up to the front to catch the buses to the other parks. There is an internal bus stop at/near the entrance of every loop.

Or, one group could take the golf cart and the other ride the internal bus up front. The walking/bike paths generally follow the road.

You could always take the internal bus up to the front to catch the buses to the other parks. There is an internal bus stop at/near the entrance of every loop.

Or, one group could take the golf cart and the other ride the internal bus up front. The walking/bike paths generally follow the road.

Yes, I meant to ask about the internal buses. How early do they usually start...and how reliable are they?

And thanks for the feedback! I hadn't thought of that combo. Might work out perfectly that a bus comes as group #2 is waiting for their turn.

when ours turned 16 we couldn't keep them out of the cart, one year our oldest DD and family met us at FW and stayed in a cabin and our 16 yo son would shuttle us to depot, then go pick up his sister and family, i'm sure your 16yo would love the drive time

Yes, I meant to ask about the internal buses. How early do they usually start...and how reliable are they?

Pretty sure the internal buses run from an hour before park opening until a couple of hours past closing.

If you find that the buses between the parks are pretty packed, what I would do since you're in a Preferred spot, is take the internal bus to the front in the morning and return by hopping to MK via Monorail--if possible. Then take the boat back from MK (or you could catch the boat from the Contemporary, too). The Preferred loops are all down by the marina and an easy walk back to your campsite.

I'd definitely bring those bikes for the Bigs. Adding lights is pretty cheap, too. They'll probably want to go check out the pools and explore a bit. There's an arcade down by the Settlement, too.

I have experience with this, but with one less kid. We have five. We never rented a cart. We would have needed two and it just didn't seem practical. We always used the internal bus system since I'm cheap and always went with the full sites. The walk to the bus has always been short for us. It was never really an issue. Several times we lucked out and had a bus stop right by our site. Honestly the plus of traveling with a large family is you are used to waiting on things. It just in general takes longer to get places. So I say forego the cart rental and use the internal buses. Or if you really want a cart get two. Good luck! It's a wonderful campground.

Pretty sure the internal buses run from an hour before park opening until a couple of hours past closing.

If you find that the buses between the parks are pretty packed, what I would do since you're in a Preferred spot, is take the internal bus to the front in the morning and return by hopping to MK via Monorail--if possible. Then take the boat back from MK (or you could catch the boat from the Contemporary, too). The Preferred loops are all down by the marina and an easy walk back to your campsite.

I'd definitely bring those bikes for the Bigs. Adding lights is pretty cheap, too. They'll probably want to go check out the pools and explore a bit. There's an arcade down by the Settlement, too.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm definitely planning on traveling back via the MK/Contemporary boat whenever possible...fun and convenient!

I'm going to put my husband on the task of fitting three bikes in/on our van. ;)

I have experience with this, but with one less kid. We have five. We never rented a cart. We would have needed two and it just didn't seem practical. We always used the internal bus system since I'm cheap and always went with the full sites. The walk to the bus has always been short for us. It was never really an issue. Several times we lucked out and had a bus stop right by our site. Honestly the plus of traveling with a large family is you are used to waiting on things. It just in general takes longer to get places. So I say forego the cart rental and use the internal buses. Or if you really want a cart get two. Good luck! It's a wonderful campground.

Sounds like we have a lot of similarities...I'm also very cheap! We ended up getting the one cart because the company we used (Meacham's) was having a February booking deal where you could get 25% off an RV reservation if you added a cart...so it basically became a little cheaper to add the cart. Crazy!

Last edited:
Sounds like we have a lot of similarities...I'm also very cheap! We ended up getting the one cart because the company we used (Meacham's) was having a February booking deal where you could get 25% off an RV reservation if you added a cart...so it basically became a little cheaper to add the cart. Crazy!

You've got older ones so at least you have one to stay with kids in shuttling. It won't add that much time and it'll be fun. Defintely worth getting it if it lowered the price of your rental.

Another thing you will love is the bath houses. It was so nice for everyone to be able to get ready at the same time, a big plus for large families. They are super clean. We rarely ever have had to wait for showers.Showering in the trailer was never really an option because of so many people.

You've got older ones so at least you have one to stay with kids in shuttling. It won't add that much time and it'll be fun. Defintely worth getting it if it lowered the price of your rental.

Another thing you will love is the bath houses. It was so nice for everyone to be able to get ready at the same time, a big plus for large families. They are super clean. We rarely ever have had to wait for showers.Showering in the trailer was never really an option because of so many people.

Yes! I'm excited to have that option. I'm betting at least my 6'3" husband and the teenagers will prefer showering at the comfort stations.

I camp in the Preferred sites often and when I do I drive to the non-MK parks.

You can do the bus ride (both external and/or internal) but to reliably make rope drop at those parks, the bus network internally does not run as often in the morning as they do during the course of the day. IMO there might be one or at most two external bus leaving the Fort that might get you there especially if they have an early opening (say 8am). If you can use the bikes/cart to get to the Outpost Bus Depot (up at the main parking lot) and avoid waiting for an internal bus then that's better IMO. Probably be at Outpost an hour before rope drop to catch an external bus to get you to the park in time. But driving is SO much nicer.

You can put 3 kids on a golf cart with 2 adults as long as everyone is seated - "butts in seats" is the phrase I use. The older three can ride their bikes up to the Outpost and probably enjoy feeling independent from mom and dad. Also golf carts run on the road and are supposed to pull over if they back up cars but that rule is often not followed.

There are not internal bus stops at EVERY loop but within short walking distance of a loop entrance. 300 (Preferred and popular with pet owners because it's close to the dog park) has a stop shared with 500 across Big Pine Trail. But the other two Preferred loops 100 & 200 (and 400 across the road) don't have a stop - you have to walk a short distance to the Settlement Bus Depot to catch a purple, orange, or yellow bus.

It's probably 3-5 minute cart roll from 100/200 where I like to stay to get to the Outpost Bus depot one-way in case you end up shuttling people back and forth at time. It's a mile or so.

We love the Preferred Loops. You can hear the boat whistles and even the Trails End porch music when staying at the far end of 100 nearest the lake. 100 is my favorite.

Bama Ed

I camp in the Preferred sites often and when I do I drive to the non-MK parks.

You can do the bus ride (both external and/or internal) but to reliably make rope drop at those parks, the bus network internally does not run as often in the morning as they do during the course of the day. IMO there might be one or at most two external bus leaving the Fort that might get you there especially if they have an early opening (say 8am). If you can use the bikes/cart to get to the Outpost Bus Depot (up at the main parking lot) and avoid waiting for an internal bus then that's better IMO. Probably be at Outpost an hour before rope drop to catch an external bus to get you to the park in time. But driving is SO much nicer.

You can put 3 kids on a golf cart with 2 adults as long as everyone is seated - "butts in seats" is the phrase I use. The older three can ride their bikes up to the Outpost and probably enjoy feeling independent from mom and dad. Also golf carts run on the road and are supposed to pull over if they back up cars but that rule is often not followed.

There are not internal bus stops at EVERY loop but within short walking distance of a loop entrance. 300 (Preferred and popular with pet owners because it's close to the dog park) has a stop shared with 500 across Big Pine Trail. But the other two Preferred loops 100 & 200 (and 400 across the road) don't have a stop - you have to walk a short distance to the Settlement Bus Depot to catch a purple, orange, or yellow bus.

It's probably 3-5 minute cart roll from 100/200 where I like to stay to get to the Outpost Bus depot one-way in case you end up shuttling people back and forth at time. It's a mile or so.

We love the Preferred Loops. You can hear the boat whistles and even the Trails End porch music when staying at the far end of 100 nearest the lake. 100 is my favorite.

Bama Ed

Thanks so much! This is all fantastic info...exactly what I needed! I'll definitely be requesting loop 100 or 200.

You're going to love it and buy a camper when you get home so you can come back and not have to rent :p
Oh! All bikers need helmets and lights at night.

We packed 6 of us in our 4 seater golf cart though: 3 in back, 3 in front (the 2 YO sat between hubby and I very cozily...so you can make that happen and let the olders take bikes. We did not mind waiting on the internal busses, I think they came every 15 minutes and we were able to RD when we wanted.

My husband will NOT drive to parks after driving from Texas. I am going to have to majorly convince him if ROTR is still as packed (and I am sure it still will be 15 months from now). He loves the busses, my kids love the busses. I enjoy them except late at night when everyone is squished into the busses.

You're going to love it and buy a camper when you get home so you can come back and not have to rent :p
Oh! All bikers need helmets and lights at night.

We packed 6 of us in our 4 seater golf cart though: 3 in back, 3 in front (the 2 YO sat between hubby and I very cozily...so you can make that happen and let the olders take bikes. We did not mind waiting on the internal busses, I think they came every 15 minutes and we were able to RD when we wanted.

My husband will NOT drive to parks after driving from Texas. I am going to have to majorly convince him if ROTR is still as packed (and I am sure it still will be 15 months from now). He loves the busses, my kids love the busses. I enjoy them except late at night when everyone is squished into the busses.

Haha! I don't think I'll ever convince my husband to go for an RV...this trip would have to be *literal* magic for that to happen. ;)

I agree that we can probably squeeze the two of us plus the younger 3 on the cart (plus our folded stroller on the "foot rest" at the back because the boys' legs are short enough)...we might look like the Griswolds, but that won't be anything new. :hyper:

We'll be driving from Virginia, so I do tend to agree about driving to the parks. I love sticking with Disney transportation so there's no break in the magic. But it's good we'll have options! They do, however, need to get some "super sized" Minnie vans. :jumping1:

Tbh , if your are driving down , i would drive to all the parks eccept MK. It was atually easy, fast, and after a long day of walking, it was prefered. I had a small cooler with us , filled with drinks. So after being exhausted, hit the car . Had ac was happy to sit and have a water. The ride was easy and we were back at the campsite fast. If you have smaller kids and up for rope drop , you might not even be at the parks that late. Stop on the way back for a cheaper dinner somewhere. Done! Have fun.

@Sjm9911 What was the walking time to the parking lot? Was it similar to walking to the bus stop, or a bit further?

We always found walking to the car to feel shorter. When you walk to the bus you then have to stand and wait. When walking to the car you know you're going to get in it and leave. It's why when we have a car we drive everywhere except to MK. Plus staying at the Fort once you get there then you have to switch from the main bus to the internal bus. Buses don't bug me going to the parks but at the end of the night it's exhausting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter