S/O: Advice you're glad you didn't take

Praying Colonel

DIS Veteran
What advice were you given that you didn't take and you're glad you didn't?

When I was in the Navy I had a guy tell me to buy a sailboat, live on it and put the BAH toward the sailboat payment. After 3 years I'd have a paid-off sailboat, courtesy of the Government.

9 months after I arrived at my first duty station--in fact, 30 years ago this very day--Hurricane Hugo came through Puerto Rico. After it was over you could look down at the harbor and see the masts of all the sailboats sticking out of the water.

Last edited:
Don't try to be an artist, they starve. Go to secretarial school so you'll always have a job.

I no longer work in the art world, just create for fun, but I got to have my dream job for over a decade, so. Not knocking secretaries/assistants in any way, but I personally would *not* have been happy.

Don't move in with your boyfriend. He will NEVER marry you. "Why buy the cow when he can get the milk for free?"

Lived with him for 2 years before we got married. We will celebrate 20 years of marriage next year. He bought the cow!! (and I hate that saying too. I am cow. :sad2: WTH?!)

Don't marry him. Long-distance relationships never work. Especially with Marines.

Celebrated 24 years last month. I think we're doing alright. Lol

"Don't get married again, remember how the last one went?"

So, so glad I didn't listen to that bull hockey.

What advice were you given that you didn't take and you're glad you didn't?

When I was in the Navy I had a guy tell me to buy a sailboat, live on it and put the BAH toward the sailboat payment. After 3 years I'd have a paid-off sailboat, courtesy of the Government.

9 months after I arrived at my first duty station--in fact, 30 years ago this very day--Hurricane Hugo came through Puerto Rico. After it was over you could look down at the harbor and see the masts of all the sailboats sticking out of the water.
Wouldn't insurance have covered it?

The day before my wedding, my mom said, "Don't do it. Don't marry him. If you do, I'll pay for your divorce."

Next year will be our 25th wedding anniversary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!