S/o do you consider streaming to be watching tv

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
do you consider the streaming channels watching tv I do and bonus no commercials and I do have to worry about my Dvr filling up but a current thread made me question it

90% of the time when I'm streaming I'm streaming to my TV. So, yes, I consider it watching TV.

Yes I should have been more clear I started streaming to my tv over the summer but I forgot that phones and tablets count one of the biggest advantages to making the big move is I can watch all tv where ever there is internet or I can download it before hand

Hm, interesting. I do say "I'm watching TV" if I'm viewing a show or movie or ball game on the TV screen. The source doesn't matter, really: what's the difference between viewing video coming in through a cable box or an Apple TV? Or whether that video arrives in my home over wi-fi or an ethernet cable or a fiber-optic cable? It's all playing through the TV.

Now, if I'm watching a show or movie or ball game on my iPad or iPhone, I don't think I'd call it "watching TV." I'd probably say "I'm watching a movie," or "I'm watching Game of Thrones."

We cut the cable awhile back, and we only get a couple channels over the antenna. When we watch TV, 90 percent of the time we're either casting YouTube or streaming Netflix. We still call it "watching TV!" :thumbsup2

90% of the time when I'm streaming I'm streaming to my TV. So, yes, I consider it watching TV.
We got a Smart TV last year and my wife refuses to allow me to stream anything other than Netflix on it. She is terrified the TV will get a virus.
I did stream part of a baseball game yesterday on MLBTV, only because for some reason it was blacked out on my satellite dish. But that WAS on my computer with virus protection.
I don't consider it watching TV, just because the rating services won't let a TV station county viewers on line in the rating calculations.

We got a Smart TV last year and my wife refuses to allow me to stream anything other than Netflix on it. She is terrified the TV will get a virus.
I did stream part of a baseball game yesterday on MLBTV, only because for some reason it was blacked out on my satellite dish. But that WAS on my computer with virus protection.
I don't consider it watching TV, just because the rating services won't let a TV station county viewers on line in the rating calculations.
Can you get a virus on a TV? We've streamed using Blu Ray players and Roku but now use my TiVo and an Apple TV. I will occasionally stream to my PC directly from whatever site if my kids have my TV tied up. I've never considered streaming on any device a threat. Generally that happens when you're downloading or clicking pop ups that then download. Streaming isn't downloading anything really.

I stream movies from Netflix and Amazon on the TV, but also onto my Kindle, iPad and Nextbook as well.

One thing I really love is being able to download a few movies on my devices so that I can watch a movie when we're up north as we don't have good internet service there.

I recognize it's not counted in traditional ratings.
But when I'm streaming and someone asks me what I'm, doing, i'd say Watching TV

Unless I'm streaming something like Twitch. Then I'd say I'm watching Twitch

I stream movies from Netflix and Amazon on the TV, but also onto my Kindle, iPad and Nextbook as well.

One thing I really love is being able to download a few movies on my devices so that I can watch a movie when we're up north as we don't have good internet service there.
Isn't that the greatest thing since sliced bread? Before any trip or long wait I load up my iPad with movies, TV, books and magazines. Love being able to catch up on Days at the gym when I'm on the treadmill.

Depends on what you mean by "streaming". I can watch a live feed of an event or the standard local broadcast via my satellite service provider's app/website, although that's basically going through my satellite box. On top of that I can often access games through a particular channel using my username/password of my sat service provider. For instance, I can watch my local ABC affiliate feed through the ABC app. I can also watch baseball games through the NBC Sports app. However, with those two there strangely are no regular ads. When it goes to the normal ad break, the screen just goes to a static graphic that says to wait for the break to be over. I think the "payment" for those services come from a cable/satellite retransmission fee to local broadcasters. We occasionally have problems when they can't come to an agreement on a contract and something like our local NBC affiliate is no longer shown on DirecTV.

The on-demand stuff is another matter. Even then what I see is typically ad supported, even if it's not the same ads that showed during the national and/or local feeds on over the air or cable TV.

But yeah - it's watching TV.

Most of my streaming is done on my Roku, which is hooked up to the TV in the living room. I definitely consider that watching TV. When I'm doing cardio at the gym, I often stream to my phone, and I think of that as "watching TV" as well.

I do quite a few surveys and some ask about watching TV. We do not have regular cable or dish, just a Roku and AppleTV. We watch lots of movies and some series. These surveys often do not differentiate and they start asking about the commercials we have seen! I consider sitting in front of the TV to be watching TV whether or not it includes any series with commercials or not.

Last edited:
Sometimes I will watch netflix on my tablet before I fall asleep. I never really thought of it but I would probably say I was watching TV.

I use a Kindle but I still say read a book.

Anything I watch on a TV is considered watching TV to me. The only time I stream on my phone, is if I'm out, when my team of choice is playing. I still record the game to view later on my TV. I consider watching anything on my computer or phone streaming, which doesn't do it for me. I need the big screen. I don't see me ever giving up cable or satellite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter