S/O were you paid for chores as a kid?

Marchand63

DIS Veteran
I was. We had no allowance but my Mom & Dad would leave a weekly list of things to be done around the house, inside & out. We would be paid upon completion.

Biggest one I did, painted our beach house one summer. Scraped the clapboard & painted the house Barnyard red. I got $150 a week. Put in 30-35 hours a week . I was rich lol!!! Yeah now, darn my parents got the house painted under minimum wage.

2nd blizzard of 78 in MA, shoveled snow for hours at $5 an hour.

Gotta say my Dad taught the value of hard work as a lawyers kid who could have been spoiled. Both my parents were Depression kids, no spoiling in house.

Nope and I didn't have a regular allowance either. I was given spending money as-needed and I actually made out great because my DDad was an incredibly soft-touch. OTOH, there was absolutely no question about whether or not I was going to do chores and any household tasks or errands I was asked to, just as a matter of course. My parents would have both laughed in my face if I'd suggested I should be paid for it.

No allowance here , one of six kids they couldn’t afford it. We got what we needed when needed. I started babysitting when I was 13 ...think I made $5.00 for a full evening on Friday night. Then had to save up my money to buy my first pair of jeans or real running shoes instead of flat white ones that they could afford for us three girls.

No chores but we did help around the house when we saw fit.

In high school I got $5/week as allowance. I also did a lot of household chores. My mom hated to clean. We probably did more house work than she did. I got a job working in a local movie theater at the end of junior year through end of senior year. Then I got better paying job. Once I got a job, no more allowance (obviously).

No allowance here , one of six kids they couldn’t afford it. We got what we needed when needed. I started babysitting when I was 13 ...think I made $5.00 for a full evening on Friday night. Then had to save up my money to buy my first pair of jeans or real running shoes instead of flat white ones that they could afford for us three girls.

No chores but we did help around the house when we saw fit.

I think I got $2 LMAO

Sort of. When I lived with my mom, she gave me an allowance for doing chores. Every day, I was expected to sweep, do the dishes, empty trash, and do laundry. Once per week, dust the house, vacuum, mop, and clean the bathroom. The amount of allowance varied between $1-$10. I was a saver, and she'd usually wait until I had a little saved up, then "borrow" it back for gas for cigarettes. Yeah, most of the time, I didn't see any of it again, but that's okay because she didn't have to give me any in the first place. Still always thought it was weird to give it when she likely knew she'd be asking for it back again.

When I was 14, I moved in with my dad. There wasn't an allowance or anything, and I still had chores to do, although not as many. I did work for him, my brother, or my uncle at times, sometimes for pay, other times not, as well as other part-time jobs until I started working full-time at 17.

No allowance and no going out if my chores weren't done. They were small tasks, but my least favorite was pulling weeds. I don't do it now.

I got an allowance that was not tied to any chores- I know I used to cut the grass and weed here or there but that was about it- my mother did not work so anything around the house was basically her job to do.

I was not paid for doing chores.

In second grade my parents started giving me an allowance of a dollar a week (not tied to chores) but they kept forgetting to have cash or to give it to me and gave up on the idea after about 6 months.
I didn't really go out with friends where we could spend money, or have the chance to go to a store to buy myself things until I was old enough to be earning money babysitting, etc anyway. And I was good about saving my tooth fairy money and birthday money from grandma when I was small.

We had to do chores/help around the house, but we never had allowances. That being said, before we were working outside the home for money (around age 12-13), if we occasionally went to the movies with friends we were given money for that. But overall I don’t seem to recall any of us asking for money much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter