S/O... When, approximately, does your school year end?

leebee

DIS Veteran
I started the "When do your kids go back to school?" thread. Several school systems have been back in school since late July, and the question was asked- "When did school end?" Good question- because I can't imagine having had to go back to school in JULY!!! I guess it's also interesting to know where you are located.

I live just outside of Bangor, ME, and the kids go back to school on August 30th, 2017. Maine requires a 175 day school year as the minimum. We are usually scheduled to get out of school sometime around June 10th, but it really depends on the number of snow days we have in the winter, as we have to make those up in June. This past year the students got out of school on June 16, 2017. There is some wiggle-room here, as different school systems might have had a different number of snow days to make up in the spring.

First day of school is the day after labour day and the last day is the last Thursday in June.

Ours ends the week or so before Christmas, (Primary) or earlier (secondary)! (Starts again the first week of Feb, or the very end of Jan)

Central Ohio. My kids go back tomorrow, and get out the week before Memorial Day.

Until a few years ago, our schedule used to be a lot more like yours -- go back later in August (but never after Labor Day) and get out in early-ish June depending on snow days. They changed it so now first semester ends before Winter Break, Spring Break falls between 3rd and 4th quarter, and AP classes don't have too much of the year left after AP exams which are given nationwide in May.

The school I work at shortened our school year. My kids come back sept. 5 and are out the Friday before Memorial Day. Teachers year was shortened too. I actually go back as a teacher AFTER my daughter starts school in our home district.

I started the "When do your kids go back to school?" thread. Several school systems have been back in school since late July, and the question was asked- "When did school end?" Good question- because I can't imagine having had to go back to school in JULY!!! I guess it's also interesting to know where you are located.

I live just outside of Bangor, ME, and the kids go back to school on August 30th, 2017. Maine requires a 175 day school year as the minimum. We are usually scheduled to get out of school sometime around June 10th, but it really depends on the number of snow days we have in the winter, as we have to make those up in June. This past year the students got out of school on June 16, 2017. There is some wiggle-room here, as different school systems might have had a different number of snow days to make up in the spring.

Must we discuss such sad topics on such a glorious day as this???
:sad::furious: :badpc:
June 6th.

mid-June, students get out after the first full week of June, teachers/staff get out the week after that.

Our kids went back Aug 2 and get out the week before Memorial Day. They also get a week in October, a week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks for Spring Break.

Don't even get me started on the whole snow day thing. I lived my entire life in PA. Sure, we had snow days. But it took real amounts of snow, and even then we'd have off one day...maybe two if it was a nasty Nor'easter. Been in Atlanta for 3 years now and it drives me bananas how paranoid they are. True stories... They cancelled school because the forecast for said there was a "chance" of a snow shower. I kid you not. Turns out it was cloudy that day, not a flake fell. This past winter, we had one day where we had 1/2" of snow, followed by a tiny bit of sleet. They cancelled school that day. I think it was a bit silly, but OK, I can live with it because the 1/2" actually did stick to the ground. But school was then cancelled for 2 days after. Seriously?!?! All the snow had melted, except for a patch or two where the road was covered/shaded by trees. I was beyond speechless they'd cancel school. I know they aren't equipped to deal with snow here, but that's dramatic overkill. Yes, I know about the "horrific" storm here 4 years ago (which in itself was a joke), but c'mon....

Sigh...I digress. Our school lets out in late May.

We are Aug. 3 to the Friday before Memorial Day. We have 2 or 3 built in snow days. If we get more snow days than that, we will go after Memorial Day. The past two years, we have not used any snow days, so we have had 2 days extra at Spring Break.

The school district we live in started August 10, and ends June 5.
42 years ago when I was a student in that district, we always started the day after Labor day, and got out the third week of June.
What changes prompted the schedule change?
>First semester ends (and final exams) now are before Christmas break, instead of 3 weeks after.
> They take Thanksgiving WEEK off, we used to just get Thursday and Friday
>They take President's Day WEEK off, we used to just get Washington's birthday...(and since most of my schooling was prior to 1971 when the Monday holiday law went into effect, we got February 22nd off, unless it fell on a weekend, then we got the Monday of that week off)
> Every Thursday is a half day for students.

The school district we live in started August 10, and ends June 5.
42 years ago when I was a student in that district, we always started the day after Labor day, and got out the third week of June.
What changes prompted the schedule change?
>First semester ends (and final exams) now are before Christmas break, instead of 3 weeks after.
> They take Thanksgiving WEEK off, we used to just get Thursday and Friday
>They take President's Day WEEK off, we used to just get Washington's birthday...(and since most of my schooling was prior to 1971 when the Monday holiday law went into effect, we got February 22nd off, unless it fell on a weekend, then we got the Monday of that week off)
> Every Thursday is a half day for students.

If my math is correct, the school calendar really hasn't changed that much in 42 years - it just shifted three weeks earlier into August and gets out two weeks earlier. It shouldn't require a total overhaul of the yearly schedule.

A quick Google search reveals that most states require 175-180 days of school.

Our county is 180 days. We generally don't have to make up school closures as there aren't generally enough "snow days" to make a big impact. Usually, if it is just a few days, we are granted a waiver and can just have fewer days of school that year. We started August 7 and we get out May 25th (right before Memorial Day). The schedule here has been designed to get 18 weeks before Winter Holiday Break and 18 weeks after we return from Winter Holiday break. This makes it much, much easier for the high schools, which run on a semester system.

Growing up, I always started the Wednesday after Labor Day and ended about mid-June. This was in California. However, we never got an entire week for Thanksgiving. Also, most school systems around here give a week break in October and/or a week break in February. In CA, we had Columbus Day and President's Day, not a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!