S/O... When, approximately, does your school year end?

Kids went back 8/04/17 get out on 5/25/18. They have 1 week of fall break in October, 1 week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for spring break in April and a couple of scattered teacher workday/student holidays in between. We live in South Ga

We are in the suburbs near Memphis TN. Our school year started August 7th and the kids get out May 24. We do get 1 week off in October, 3 days for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week in March for spring break.

June 30. Or the weekday closest to it. Was like that when I was a kid and is still the same. They go back after Labour Day.

They get 2 weeks off at Christmas and a week end of March for spring break. Most months there is a PD day.

The school district in my town is starting this week. In fact, the kids go back today or tomorrow, I think. Their last day will be the week before Memorial Day.

*A few years ago, there was such bad snow and ice that, for a period of three weeks, the kids made it to school only two days. So they started scheduling makeup days well into the first and second weeks of June. Parents, who had already scheduled vacations and T-ball leagues and so on, basically told the school board "Schedule makeup days all you want, Jethro won't be there." The school quickly backed off.

**There's a pretty big event happening in this part of Missouri next Monday, and school officials in this town still haven't made a decision on whether or not to cancel school that day. Imagine if you were a parent and were planning on doing something special for the day, and here, five days away, your child's school is hemming and hawing on whether or not they're having school that day! I'd be furious! Of course, if I had a kid enrolled in that school, they'd be getting the day off, whether school was scheduled that day or not.

School starts the second Monday in August and gets out mid week the week before Memorial day.

We went back July 27, and get out the week before Memorial Day. Two weeks off October, Christmas and Spring break. No half days or PD/teacher conference days.

The school I work at shortened our school year. My kids come back sept. 5 and are out the Friday before Memorial Day. Teachers year was shortened too. I actually go back as a teacher AFTER my daughter starts school in our home district.
I want to live/teach where you are!! We go back Sept. 5 and don't get out until June 18, but that's IF there are no snow days to make up. This year we got out June 26. :crazy2:

I'm in South Jersey, and my kids attend parochial school. They usually get out in mid-June.

Central Ohio. My kids go back tomorrow, and get out the week before Memorial Day.

Until a few years ago, our schedule used to be a lot more like yours -- go back later in August (but never after Labor Day) and get out in early-ish June depending on snow days. They changed it so now first semester ends before Winter Break, Spring Break falls between 3rd and 4th quarter, and AP classes don't have too much of the year left after AP exams which are given nationwide in May.
This is what our school district has moved to this year. Was out mid June and back late August. Now it will be out end of May back mid August with slightly longer breaks in between and one added it looks like. I noticed they added three contingency days at the end of May if needed. I can't imagine what for. I've lived here my whole life and remember schools being shut down exactly twice in my life time. A cloud break when I was a kid and a day when we had a freak snow storm eight or nine years ago. A whole two inches, lol. People laughed at us but we desert people have no idea how to deal with snow.

I answered in the other thread but I'll repeat it here.

School ends mid-June, maybe the 16th or 17th, something like that.

School now resumes the week BEFORE Labor Day. It used to always be AFTER Labor Day up until about five years ago. But now some longer breaks take place during the year. They kept the same amount of days, and instead of going later into June they decided to start earlier.

My sophomore year of HS we didn't get out until June 30 due to a two week teacher strike partway thru the year. I wish they had just cancelled spring break instead. Seniors still graduated at the originally scheduled date, about June 18th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter