S/O... When, approximately, does your school year end?

We always get out the Friday before Memorial Day, start around the 3rd week in August (8/21 this year). We get Wednesday-Monday at Thanksgiving, approx 2 weeks at Christmas depending on how it falls, our "spring break" is the Friday before and Monday after Easter. We are allowed 5 snow/calamity days, and any days we miss after that are made up by using MLK Day (if it has been a snowy January to that point), President's Day, then take away from spring break. I'm in Ohio.

Last edited:
If my math is correct, the school calendar really hasn't changed that much in 42 years - it just shifted three weeks earlier into August and gets out two weeks earlier. It shouldn't require a total overhaul of the yearly schedule.
Except a lot of families have kids in sports and music camps and other similar summer activities through the end of July, and August was reserved for the family vacation. My wife and I both work in an industry where July is a blackout month for vacations, so it would impact us now if our kids weren't adults now.

Teachers went back today, students go back on the 22nd, the last day for students is June 6th, and teachers finish up on the 8th.

My work district gets out anywhere between June 18-21st. It really depends on if we use the allotted snow days or not. My state mandates 180 student days, and I have 186 total work days.

Per NC law: Start date no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26 and end date no later than the Friday closest toJune 11 (unless a weather related calendar waiver has been approved, year-round school, charter school or cooperative innovative high school.)

So, our school starts August 28 this year and ends June 8th.

NW OH - started today and they get out the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.
I would love to have it when I was in HS and start after Labor Day and end the 2nd week of June. This year after baseball ended, we only had 3 weeks to choose from for vacation. Luckily it worked out for us.

The wed. before Memorial Weekend. We get a week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas and 1 week spring break. And we don't get fall breaks around Columbus Day like other school systems in our area.

This year I compared our school system calendar with 2 other nearby counties who got 4 day weekend or more fall breaks over Columbus Day and discovered that those counties don't have as many one day here, one day there days off as our county does. I'd rather have one long fall break and less of the one day here and there off nonsense.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!