Sad, not staying at the Fort anymore

tinkerjo

DIS Veteran
I had to reschedule my May trip to June and I am very sad that we are not staying at the fort anymore. We didn’t feel tent camping in mid June in Florida would be enjoyable and with all the uncertainty, didn’t want to rent a camper. I was really looking forward to bring my golf cart and tent (more than going to the parks quite honestly) but we have military salute tickets and my SIL is getting out of the military in August so we need to use the tickets. So, it’s POFQ for us this trip. Never stayed there before, so it will be something new, but so very sad it won’t be the fort.

Tinkerjo,

I think we all understand. There is a bunch of rumor and speculation going around and the uncertainty stinks. I agree that a tent in June doesn't sound fun.

When will you be at POFQ? We rebooked our April trip to June 26-30 and moved to POFQ to take advantage of the dining offer.

j

Last edited:
Tinkerjo,

I think we all understand. There is a bunch of rumor and speculation going around and the uncertainty stinks. I agree that a tent in June doesn't sound fun.

When will you be at POFQ? We rebooked our April trip to June 26-30 and moved to POFQ to take advantage of the dining offer.

j
We will be there June 7-14 and can’t even take advantage of the free dining since we already have the military salute tickets. Glad you could take advantage of it though

We originally had 2 room only reservations (conference trip that we extended) and had bought 4 day hopper tickets separately. We planned to upgrade the tickets to APs when we got there and a 4 day hopper is about half the price of an AP.

To get the dining offer I had to book a "package". So currently I have 2 four day hopper tickets, both starting on the same day. I was told they will credit the original tickets towards the APs when I get there. Hopefully that is true.

I did the quick math on the "free" dining offer and it wasn't actually as good as it seemed. To get the "free" dining, you had to book a package at rack rates. Sun & Fun discounts are pretty good right now, but don't count for the dining offer. I also had a Spring bounceback code that was better than Sun & Fun, but again, the dining offer didn't apply.

If I had just added the regular QS dining plan to my bounceback booking compared to the rebooking package offer, I only saved about $150 taking Disney's rebooking offer.

I upgraded the resort and the dining plan (to DDP from QS) so Disney is getting more money out of me anyway.

Now I just have to hope WDW is open by the end of June or I may be doing it all over again.

j

DD just accepted a new job and she starts mid-late June and won’t have vacation for a while so if we have to reschedule we may do late fall or early spring next year, possibly without her. If we do that we will definitely switch back to the Fort.

I had to reschedule my May trip to June and I am very sad that we are not staying at the fort anymore. We didn’t feel tent camping in mid June in Florida would be enjoyable and with all the uncertainty, didn’t want to rent a camper. I was really looking forward to bring my golf cart and tent (more than going to the parks quite honestly) but we have military salute tickets and my SIL is getting out of the military in August so we need to use the tickets. So, it’s POFQ for us this trip. Never stayed there before, so it will be something new, but so very sad it won’t be the fort.

Big fan of the Fort and totally agree on the golf cart. We get a cabin and rent a cart and have a blast. The golf cart ride to catch the boat to MK or the the pool is as much fun as the parks. In fact I have tried to get my own golf cart but DW has put her foot down as we have no where to store it.

I have been to Disney 2 times in June in the last 5 years and was sweating up a storm. Good call on no camping unless you have an A/C you can run in the tent or camper. Not sure we could've managed without a room and A/C to cool down in after being in the parks sun up to sun down. I would guess tenting in June, July, August or September is tough with heat and lingering humidity.

POFQ is my DW favorite and nice, just different. But still Disney so have fun either way you go. We also book room only deals and use military salute tickets and are glad that Disney offers the discount.

It will be a fun trip wherever you stay, hope you get to go in June.

Big fan of the Fort and totally agree on the golf cart. We get a cabin and rent a cart and have a blast. The golf cart ride to catch the boat to MK or the the pool is as much fun as the parks. In fact I have tried to get my own golf cart but DW has put her foot down as we have no where to store it.

I have been to Disney 2 times in June in the last 5 years and was sweating up a storm. Good call on no camping unless you have an A/C you can run in the tent or camper. Not sure we could've managed without a room and A/C to cool down in after being in the parks sun up to sun down. I would guess tenting in June, July, August or September is tough with heat and lingering humidity.

POFQ is my DW favorite and nice, just different. But still Disney so have fun either way you go. We also book room only deals and use military salute tickets and are glad that Disney offers the discount.

It will be a fun trip wherever you stay, hope you get to go in June.
Thank you. I’m keeping my fingers crossed

1st bold -- A tenting friend would use a small portable AC unit for cooling tent during his FL summer vavcations.

2nd bold -- DS just retired after 22 years in the Army and had his 1st WDW vacation cancelled so he rescheduled for July, we shall see??? We have FW reservations for when he's in and if it all goes well it will be a 1st time July WDW-FW stay that even includes my 70th Birthday.

Good luck to ALL.

Last edited:
1st bold -- A tenting friend would use a small portable AC unit for cooling tent during his FL summer vavcations.

2nd bold -- DS just retired after 22 years in the Army and had his 1st WDW vacation cancelled so he rescheduled for July, we shall see??? We have FW reservations for when he's in and if it all goes well it will be a 1st time July WDW-FW stay that even includes my 70th Birthday.

Good luck to ALL.
I’m wondering if there’s something you can do so Disney will still honor the tickets after ETS since the original reservation was cancelled due to pandemic. Like maybe they’ll accept a DD214 for military who had a reservation canceled due to closure and process out with x days? In my experience Disney is pretty good about working with you. Might be worth a phone call, especially considering all the uncertainty around what date they’ll actually reopen.

but so very sad it won’t be the fort.

1) Alas, as a former (now retired) concierge at WDW, "The Fort" is my absolute favorite resort!
. . . PERIOD !
. . . PERIOD
!!
. . . PERIOD !!!
2) I have worked at six high-end resorts and DVCs, including FW.
3) I have NEVER found a more friendly resort (both employees and guests) than FW.
4) At other resorts, when guests pass each other, they simply nod to each other, or say. "Hi".
5) At "The Fort", they can engage in conversation.
6) A HUGE difference between campground "campers" vs hotel "guests".
7) Campers are simply a different class of people than "vacation guests"

PS -
. . . The Fort is a campground and/or RV campground
. . . campers and RVers tend to VERY friendly toward each other
. . . as a CM at FW, I have been invited to join many campers at their campsite!

. . . this is such an honor !!! - - - REPEAT, AN HONOR !!!!
. . . one cannot discount or appreciate such an invite from guests to a CM
. . . this is not a honor given to many CMs at the usual/typical Resort or Resorts

. . . to those who have invited me, I give thanks, and keep them is my memory! ***
. . . can there NOT be any higher honor to a resort CM ?!?!?!
. . . at 71-years-old, I treasure all these invites

. . . no one can even imagine how this feels !!!!!!

*** Notes:

. . . when one is retired, they count the number of life events they have missed
. . . or the chances one did not take
. . . when invited to a guest's FW Campsite, the memory is memorialized.
. . . sometimes, one tears-up when thinking of such dear, deaar honors!
. . . YES, HONORS !!!

. . . it might be DUMB for an adult male admit to tear-u[, but such an honor !!!!

1) Alas, as a former (now retired) concierge at WDW, "The Fort" is my absolute favorite resort!
. . . PERIOD !
. . . PERIOD
!!
. . . PERIOD !!!
2) I have worked at six high-end resorts and DVCs, including FW.
3) I have NEVER found a more friendly resort (both employees and guests) than FW.
4) At other resorts, when guests pass each other, they simply nod to each other, or say. "Hi".
5) At "The Fort", they can engage in conversation.
6) A HUGE difference between campground "campers" vs hotel "guests".
7) Campers are simply a different class of people than "vacation guests"

PS -
. . . The Fort is a campground and/or RV campground
. . . campers and RVers tend to VERY friendly toward each other
. . . as a CM at FW, I have been invited to join many campers at their campsite!

. . . this is such an honor !!! - - - REPEAT, AN HONOR !!!!
. . . one cannot discount or appreciate such an invite from guests to a CM
. . . this is not a honor given to many CMs at the usual/typical Resort or Resorts

. . . to those who have invited me, I give thanks, and keep them is my memory! ***
. . . can there NOT be any higher honor to a resort CM ?!?!?!
. . . at 71-years-old, I treasure all these invites

. . . no one can even imagine how this feels !!!!!!

*** Notes:

. . . when one is retired, they count the number of life events they have missed
. . . or the chances one did not take
. . . when invited to a guest's FW Campsite, the memory is memorialized.
. . . sometimes, one tears-up when thinking of such dear, deaar honors!
. . . YES, HONORS !!!

. . . it might be DUMB for an adult male admit to tear-u[, but such an honor !!!!

1) Alas, one must do what is best.
2) After using MilTix, you are welcome back to FW.
3) You have plenty of time to enjoy FW.
4) After FW, you have a tough time going elsewhere.

NOTE:
. . . even CM's have a tough time working elsewhere.
. . . We enjoy campers far better than other guests.
. . . From FW, I would be deployed to other resorts.
. . . Even if for one day, I would miss FW.
. . . Camers are just a different type of guest.
. . . Enjoy your stay at POFQ, and await future FW stay(s).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!