Sad story of a 1 point deficit...

What would you do?

• Use BCV points elsewhere

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Book one night and roll the dice at 7 months for second night

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Stay week nights and take kids out of school

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Walk the reservation and take the wrath of the people who think that is evil

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Something else... post it below (am open to suggestions)

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

ClosetDisMom

Mouseketeer
So I bought a tiny 30 point February UY BCV contract this spring. I really want to use it right away at BCV, but have a slight problem. Specifically, it is a 1 point problem.

Back story: my DH is a WDW skeptic who has decided that DVC makes Disney better because he doesn’t feel like he has to do everything in the parks in one visit because “we will be back.” This lead to us originally buying into DVC in order to go every two years; then going DVC for a trip and realizing we have “left over points” that can be spent on the off years as short weekend trips. After doing one of those “left over points” trips, he greenlit a small add on at BVC so we can go 1 time every 6 months... (I know... everyone says DVC gets you to spend more $ rather than save it. I should have listened.)

So, my problem is this, we purchased the tiny 30 point contract to augment our habit. Our next 6 month trip is in January 2020 with our kids. I want to stay at BCV to test drive my new contract, but the January trip is a 31 point stay. The contract was purchased partially stripped and we only have 30 points AFTER borrowing all of 2020’s points.

So, what would the brilliant DisBoard Dwellers do? Stay elsewhere this trip and use the valuable BCV points elsewhere? Book one of the 2 nights in the 11 months and transfer the sad little point from our SSR contract to roll the dice at 7 months? Book for a 2 weekdays instead of one weekday and one weekend night and pull your school aged children from school for a day? Somehow walk the reservation (never done this and I realize that it is controversial on the DisBoards)? Something else that I don’t know how to do as a relative DVC newbie?

Voted for roll the dice because January is not generally a busy month. But you would be taking a chance.

Dunno anything about it, but could you rent or transfer a point from someone who owns at BCV?
Sure you might need to pay a premium for that one point, but even $30 per point would be a deal for me.
That might be the way to go until 7 months out. Finding someone who is will to transfer 1 BCV point might be the problem... but might be worth looking for...

That might be the way to go until 7 months out. Finding someone who is will to transfer 1 BCV point might be the problem... but might be worth looking for...

Or you might get lucky and find someone willing to do the work, and give you a point (knowing that I don't own at BCV :D)

You may want to try buy points to transfer in from another member this current use year and use them. Then bank a current portion of your points. Next year bank some points again. Just make sure you use the points that will expire and bank the ones that won’t. You will be able to do this with a 30 point transfer this use year. Bank 29 current points this year then next year you will bank 28 and so on. I think this will work. If someone requires a larger transfer just use the points and book an extra day or two.

Call Member Services and buy one point for the trip. You can purchase once per year if you are short for a reservation.
DVC members may do this once a year and up to 24 points.
You are not purchasing a point to own, but a one time use point needed for a reservation. Cost is about $17.00.

I'm going to jump a little further ahead and ask what about 6 months after that when you've borrowed all the points of the contract that was to be used as part of the rotation for every 6 months? You'll be using points from your other contract, yes? It's apparent you really want to stay at BCV but if you're having to borrow everything to do so and still can't book in the home priority window I'd suggest that you just need to wait on that one and let it build up. If you have points in your other contract to cover this trip then use them and book BCV next time when you have enough points to cover the stay. And maybe you'll get lucky and be able to get the room at 7 months or else try a waitlist for BCV.

Call Member Services and buy one point for the trip. You can purchase once per year if you are short for a reservation.
DVC members may do this once a year and up to 24 points.
You are not purchasing a point to own, but a one time use point needed for a reservation. Cost is about $17.00.

It is now $19 per point but those points can only be purchased for the 7 month window and OP can cover that with using one of their own SSR points.

I'm going to jump a little further ahead and ask what about 6 months after that when you've borrowed all the points of the contract that was to be used as part of the rotation for every 6 months? You'll be using points from your other contract, yes? It's apparent you really want to stay at BCV but if you're having to borrow everything to do so and still can't book in the home priority window I'd suggest that you just need to wait on that one and let it build up. If you have points in your other contract to cover this trip then use them and book BCV next time when you have enough points to cover the stay. And maybe you'll get lucky and be able to get the room at 7 months or else try a waitlist for BCV.
Sigh. This was my original plan when I found and bought the contract. Then I realized I could do a trip in January with the BCV points and I got greedy... I think you are right; I will just roll the dice with my SSR points for this trip and see what happens... I just really like the idea of not having to jockey for 7 months placement due to my new purchase... :rolleyes1

I voted for 2 weeknights. I don't see one day of school making a big difference. Also, I'm not sure how walking would help in this scenario at all...that would just be to get a reservation which you already can do...you just don't have enough points for what you want and that won't be helped by walking.

Go online and offer to buy 20 BCV points from someone. Offer $18 a point. Then transfer them in to your account and save your other points for a later date. Or, offer up your own points for $18 a point by listing them on this board, in the right forum. That way you can get your vacation and not really spend much extra.

Because I don’t think January is a particularly good time to stay at BCV, (I bought BCV To use SAB, I own BWV to be close to Epcot) I would wait until 7 months and use other points to try to stay at BCV, and save those points for a more likely to swim WDW vacation.

As mentioned several times, a OTU point can't be used until 7 month window, and she has an SSR point she can use at that time.

If you're really comfortable taking the kids out of school for 1 day, you could do that.

Otherwise, I would book one day and try for the 2nd day at 7 months.
If it's not available, book the 2nd day somewhere else and waitlist that one day at BCV.

I would buy one time use point from Disney, that is the easiest option.
So if you purchase the 1 point to make the reservation at $19, what happens to that 1 point IF you have to cancel that reservation say 2 months from making it, for a reservation that was 7 months in advance? Is my assumption correct that the 1 point cannot be banked? Can the 1 point be used for another reservation? Thanks!::yes::

So if you purchase the 1 point to make the reservation at $19, what happens to that 1 point IF you have to cancel that reservation say 2 months from making it, for a reservation that was 7 months in advance? Is my assumption correct that the 1 point cannot be banked? Can the 1 point be used for another reservation? Thanks!::yes::

It can be used for another 7 month reservation. If not used it will expire at the end of the UY you bought it in.

Fwiw when a series of trips resulted in me having to let two Bay Lake points go I wish I would have seen a post line this about my resort. I hated letting them disappear into the ether.

So try for that. Why not?

It's apparent you really want to stay at BCV but if you're having to borrow everything to do so and still can't book in the home priority window I'd suggest that you just need to wait on that one and let it build up.

Oh that’s a good point, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter