Safe to book Anaheim VRBO?

cindyland

Mouseketeer
Looking at taking a post-Christmas family trip to DL, January 11-15. Six adults and one two-year-old. Renting a two or three bedroom VRBO condo looks very appealing, except I have come across some information about VRBOs being illegal in Anaheim. Has anyone had experience renting VRBOs in Anaheim, or gotten a fantastic deal on Grand Californian 2-bedroom DVC?

Looking forward to reading your responses....TIA.

I'm not sure about Anaheim proper, sorry. However earlier this year I stayed at an AirBnB in Santa Ana (for a wedding). We ended up making it out to DTD for some small celebration and it's really that not bad as far as travel time. So that might be another option if Vrbo/Airbnb doesn't work out for Anaheim.

Regarding the VRBO/AirBnB in Anaheim proper, there was some legislation to ban them. The city allowed some owners to postpone the closing of their properties, however, all those extensions have been exhausted. The "no more extensions again" time is in August of this year, but owners are appealing it. So, potentially, it's a gray area.

Personally, it's not a risk I'm willing to take. I can't imagine being at Disneyland all day to arrive "home" to my VRBO with a potential legal notice on the door, or worse (vehicles towed because they aren't registered to the address in an area that may require permits?).

Here's what gets me, and makes me completely unwilling to try it: There's 175 properties currently listed on VRBO for Anaheim for the dates of 9/13-9/17/19 (randomly picked dates after the extension date). There's currently 289 permit extensions, all which expire 8/11/19. ... But there's still 175 that are booking for 5 weeks AFTER the properties are 100% completely banned. If they are willing to extend me a reservation to stay, what happens when it comes time to actually stay? They took my money, they promised me a place to stay, but legally, they can't actually allow me to stay. Not how I would like to start --or end-- my vacation!

There are a lot of suite hotels off property. Our fave is homewood suites only 1 bedroom. But there’s also Spring Hill suites. Residence inn has 2 bedrooms.

Post a thread asking specifically about walking distance options for hotels with suites that can fit your group. We've had other threads about large family groups who wanted a place very close to the parks, and good suggestions were made.

Another option would be to look into Dolphins Cove. They have 3 bedroom units. I give the actual rooms a 6/10. The grounds are pretty nice and they recently put in a brand new pool area that is pretty nice. Its an older renovated apartment complex. Gated access. Right around the corner from the ART bus which is about a 5 min or so ride to the park or you can walk up to the Disney parking lot and take the tram over which is about a 10 minute walk. Just something that might be worth considering as a backup option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter