Safely flying with 2 year old question

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
How do you fly with a little? Jetblue says they don't provide a car seat but they have to have their own seat. Any use some thing like this? Something different?IMG_3386.PNGIMG_3386.PNG

They have to have their own seat means they have to have their own purchased airline seat / ticket. They do not have to use a carseat on the plane, but they can. I have always used one under two, but as they get bigger (usually closer to 3) they sit fine in the airline seat, and then it depends if we need the carseats at our destination. Will you need a carseat at disney? Will your little one sit properly on the plane and stay buckled without a carseat or something like cares?

car seat blog (where the article the PP posted is) is a fantastic resource.

Also, I'd review Jet blue's carseat guidelines if you haven't already: http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(373795)#s2

We would bring our own car seat at that age.

I have heard good things about the CARES harness but only within a certain weight/height range. I have heard it is not great for smaller kids.

If you do bring your own seat make sure it is approved for air travel. I would also print out a sheet with info on our rights to use the seat on a plane. We never had any issues but I have heard of people having problems. You will have to put the car seat in the window seat if it is rear facing. I think that applies to forward facing as well but not as sure on that.

My kids usually fit in the overhead bin just fine.

If you have multiple children, you should only be putting one of them up there. The other ones should be stowed under the seat in front of you, all the way in to keep the aisle clear. More than 2 kids and you're getting charged extra kid fees, determined by weight.

We would bring our own car seat at that age.

I have heard good things about the CARES harness but only within a certain weight/height range. I have heard it is not great for smaller kids.

If you do bring your own seat make sure it is approved for air travel. I would also print out a sheet with info on our rights to use the seat on a plane. We never had any issues but I have heard of people having problems. You will have to put the car seat in the window seat if it is rear facing. I think that applies to forward facing as well but not as sure on that.
both ways have to be in window seat but you can not use a booster with only the lapbelt

We have flown around that age on various trips with both our girls with both a car seat and cares harness depending on exact age and flight length and the overall cooperative level of child. I’d say they tend to stay put a little better in a car seat bc they assume it’s regualr “car” rules. But sometimes the car seat can be a hassle and the cares harness is nice for some extra support if your child is old enough ans has enough muscle tone to stay upright the whole trip. Know your passenger bill of rights. I actually had a flight attendant tell me I could not put my infant rear-facing because the person in front of me could only recline about 80% of the way. I always offer to buy drinks or movies to the folks in front or behind us if our gear impedes them in any way.

We brought our car seat on board for our toddler to sit in on the plane.

I used a car seat on the plane. I bought an old fashioned collapsible luggage cart to haul it through the airports.

Thanks for all your replies! It's for my grandson and we won't need a car seat at Disney. I showed my son the Cares unit and I think he's going with that or a similar one. Just don't want the hassle of hauling the big car seat around. Thanks again! In a pinch we can always use the overhead bin as long as there's room!

FYI, you can rent a CARES Harness or find one decently priced on eBay if your grandson won't be flying often. I did that when my son was 2 years-old. We flew in and used Magical Express; but I knew we would probably not use it more than once or twice. It was under $30 which included return shipping.

Was coming here to post the same - you can rent it here: https://rentcares.com/

It makes more sense to rent I think than buy as it’s mostly only useful around 2 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!