Sailing with Alzheimers - Trip Report and Tips

Jennifer777

Mouseketeer
I wanted to share our experience and also some detailed tips and considerations for anyone planning on traveling/sailing with someone who has Alzheimers disease as I just got home from a trip with my Mom and had a really, really hard time finding information beforehand. This will be long so I'm going to break it into a few different posts within this thread.

Alzheimers affects everyone differently at different times so here's some background information first - My mom is at a stage where she still remembers us but has reverted back to an earlier time in her life where she is pretty sure she is poor again (she grew up in poverty), her short term memory is almost non-existent, and she becomes irritable and easily agitated when confused. Loud noises and new places contribute to her confusion so it might seem silly that I would take her on a Disney Cruise but she waited her whole life to travel and see the world in her retirement and was diagnosed with Alzheimers less than a year later at only 64 years young. I promised her that the disease would not steal her plans and so we have tried to cram as much travel into the last 18 months as possible, visiting Florida, New York and now this cruise coupled with 3 nights in Puerto Rico. My mom has also developed some mobility issues due to this horrible disease. She can still walk but is prone to falls and cannot handle more than one flight of stairs at a time.

Why DCL? We weren't traveling with kids. It was just my adult sister, Mom and I but I am familiar with DCL so knew how to navigate the ships and I know the adult-only areas are very nice. My mom still remembers and enjoys the Disney movies we watched together when we were kids so I hoped the familiarity of it all would help her feel comfortable and I hoped the family-friendly stage shows would be something she would enjoy. I also appreciated the security measures DCL employs and how comfortable the rooms are. I also hoped that having the same dining team would make dinners more comfortable.

We took the 11/30/18 - 5 night repositioning cruise from San Juan to Miami with stops in St. Kitts, Tortola and Castaway Cay on Magic. We sailed concierge (a 1st for me!) and neither my sister or my mother had been out of the country or on a cruise before so the planning was on me and neither of them knew what to expect. We booked approximately a year in advance.

Tip #1: Spend a lot of time really observing the individual you plan to travel with in different settings. Take note of what they enjoy, what agitates them and what their needs are understanding that this may change from month to month. If possible, take a mini pre-trip vacation with them so you can identify any possible challenges. I took my Mom on a weekend trip to New York and before we sailed and it was one of the best decisions. I learned about so many obstacles I hadn't considered and was able to make modifications to our plans to prevent potential hardships.

My sister has Alzheimers in her 60's and she's worse in the evenings -- called sundowning, which is common in Alzheimer's cases. Does your mom have that? Sis is a mess while traveling, so her DH limits it as much as possible. The only place they've gone in the past two years was to a grandson's wedding.

Pre-trip planning: This is essential and unlike traveling with kids and other adults where you might have some flexibility, that spontaneity with someone who suffers from Alzheimers will likely be much more difficult. I had to micromanage and pre-plan nearly every aspect of this trip and it still got some of it wrong. Every person responds differently, which is why it's critical to really observe that person beforehand and identify there needs and challenges. I tried to bring my mom into the planning as much as possible because I did notice her frustration with losing the ability to make decisions about her life. I wanted her to have choices when possible. I hoped that discussing the trip often would also help her remember it and look forward to it and I do think it helped. She told her doctor she was going on a cruise and sounded so excited! She would bring it up at family get togethers and she seemed to really be looking forward to it. Once she even asked me if I knew what kind of fruity drinks they had on the ship so I found some online pictures - she's not supposed to have alcohol but it made my heart dance hearing her excitement about it.

Some of the things I planned ahead of time are;

Flights - I planned flight times and avoided difficult layovers knowing mornings and airport travel in general is hard for her and sprung for first class hoping to alleviate the airport/TSA/boarding stress and be more comfortable for her to rest/sleep during the flight. This did help a great deal and I would highly recommend it if you can swing it. I learned shortly before leaving that my mom was forgetting how to read at times so we packed her some in-flight activities she could do without reading (word searches, loaded some simple games on her phone, etc.). If you can't or don't want to spring for first class, look into TSA PreCheck or CLEAR to avoid long lines at the TSA checkpoints. Also be prepared to stand firm if they try to separate you from your travel companion for additional screening. They tried sending my mom through the metal detectors while making me wait in line for the scanner and I had to put my foot down. Insist on staying with them at all times!
Transportation: I booked transportation to the airport so we could be dropped right at the door. Found a town car service in Puerto Rico that could drive us to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport. We used Disney transportation post-cruise and in hindsight, I wish we would have used it both ways. I loved our driver but those using Disney transport got to bypass the long bag drop lines and got expedited entry into the cruise terminal.
Pre-Cruise Hotel - I knew my Mom did best in quiet environments so found a hotel that had adult only areas and was less of a family hotel (Condado Vanderbilt for anyone traveling to Puerto Rico - LOVED IT!). Knowing her need for quiet time we booked a suite so we could dine in our room and have more space. I would have lost my mind cramped in a small room with two other adults for hours everyday.
Excursions: Again, keeping my Mom's challenges in mind, I looked for excursions that were not too long and did not require too much physical activity. One thing I failed on here was time. I made the mistake of booking an early morning beach excursion and while it was one of the highlights of our trip, it took her 2 days to recover. I booked a cabana in Castaway and I don't regret it, but it was hard to leave it and head back to the ship after only 4 hours.
Meals: Both meal times and menus were pre-planned and we had to make modifications. People with Alzheimers often forget that they haven't eaten or that they are hungry. We spent a lot of time tracking how much water Mom was drinking and making sure she ate. I also had to realize that her tastes have changed in the last couple years. The woman who LOVED chocolate isn't interested in it anymore and she has developed an aversion to most meat. Her Alzheimers medication also makes her stomach a lot more resistant to new foods so we learned to be careful about trying too many new things in one day.
Down time: This was essential to enjoying this trip. I learned very quickly how badly my mom needed quiet time to sit in our room, a lot of quiet time. I knew that if we were going to Bingo, to plan a minimum of an hour of quiet time in the room before another activity and on the days we had excursions, I knew she would be needing most of the rest of the day to relax in the room.
Medical needs: We had to accommodate morning and evening pills that needed to be taken with food around the same time of day, which meant morning room service each morning. We also brought with a travel bath seat and a cane (she refused to use a walker) and insisted that when she wasn't using the cane she hold on to one of our arms. We also learned via special services that the staff can not help her if she falls. They are not allowed to put their hands on a passenger for any reason. I ended up having unexpected surgery 3 weeks before our trip and couldn't lift more than 15lbs so in the event of a fall, if my sister could not get her up on her own, we would have had to call the medical team on board to assist which would have resulted in charges. We checked ahead of time and her medicare would have covered her in Puerto Rico but not on the ship.

Tip #2: Plan your trip entirely around the needs of the person you're traveling with and set your expectations accordingly. I'm not going to lie, it really sucked sitting in the room for hours everyday because she needed her down time and the foodie in me nearly died when she ordered nothing but french fries in the MDR for dinner. Expecting her to do things and eat things that she was not prepared to do would have spelled disaster. I had to remind myself constantly that this trip was not about me, and if she was happy sitting in the room half the day, that's what we were going to do.

My sister has Alzheimers in her 60's and she's worse in the evenings -- called sundowning, which is common in Alzheimer's cases. Does your mom have that? Sis is a mess while traveling, so her DH limits it as much as possible. The only place they've gone in the past two years was to a grandson's wedding.

My mom is actually the opposite. Mornings are incredibly difficult for her. I am so fortunate that she actually still has the desire to travel so even though it is difficult, there's enjoyment in it as well. We learned that physical activity wears her out so if we got her out of the room walking around the ship or in the port for a while she would fall asleep easily at night. This isn't true for everyone though. If you have any other tips or information to share from your perspective about traveling with Alzheimers, please share it here! I had such a hard time finding information that I'm hoping someone looking for it in the future will have a place to ask questions and get what the info they need to have a successful trip.

Organization: Was also essential. I had to keep all of our documents, including her passport and key to the world card. I had to help her pack, which was a challenge as I would pack one thing and she would take two things out. I finally took large ziplock bags and packed one matching outfit on each bag, marking what was in each bag on the outside with a sharpie marker. I then wrote down everything that was inside the suitcase on a piece of paper and attached it to the suitcase after locking it. Then, each time she went back to the suitcase to check whether or not "she" packed something, she could just look at the list instead of tearing the suitcase apart. Once we boarded the ship, I hung everything in the closet and organized it so she could clearly see what was there.

Tip #3: Be organized and assign necessary tasks ahead of time so one person is in charge of keeping documents, one person is in charge of administering medication, one person is in charge of packing/unpacking, etc. The day of travel may be incredibly stressful and the person with Alzheimers will need you to be the calm voice of reason in the room reassuring them that you have the documents, you have a plan, all is taken care of and they can sit back and relax. If you are stressed and scrambling to find your boarding passes, that stress will likely transfer to them. They may ask to SEE the boarding passes, tickets, passports, etc. SHOW THEM! Even if you have to show them 100 times. Keeping their stress down is key to a successful trip.

Concierge vs. Regular Staterooms: This is subjective and what my mom needed could very likely be different than what your person may need. I also think it varies from ship to ship. I had never sailed concierge before so I only knew what I read here and on other online forums. My decision to book concierge for this trip was entirely due to my Mom. I hoped it would mean shorter lines, a cabana at Castaway Cay, a quiet concierge lounge to relax in and extra hands to help with arrangements both before and on the cruise. I also hoped the larger 1 bedroom room and balcony would be helpful knowing we would be spending more time in the room. Sailing concierge definitely did help with some of these things but I'm still on the fence about whether or not it was the best choice for us.

Positives:
We were able to book all the excursions and a cabana on Castaway Cay. We were able to choose our dining rotation (which I failed miserably at, more on that later).
We had the concierge lounge available to us so we could grab waters, juice, snacks and it was pretty quiet most of the times we visited.
Our first few days were very overwhelming for my mom and we got off to a rough start. Our concierge hosts were amazing though. They checked on us, sent us treats and offered to bring dinner to our room.
We didn't have to visit Guest Services at all, which was nice.
Priority debarkation was helpful.

Not-So-Positives
In spite of sailing concierge and showing up a little later than normal (11:45am) we still had to wait in line for an hour at the port. There was a priority line for check in for concierge but it was longer than the regular line so we ended up using that. There was no priority bag drop line or line to get on the ship.
The concierge lounge on Magic is 2 floors above the concierge rooms and with my mom's mobility issues, it made the lounge less accessible because the midship elevators were often busy. There were a few times we planned to go there and just decided against it because my mom didn't want to wait any longer for an elevator.
The biggest downfall was that the concierge rooms on Magic are all on the 8th floor and we were directly below the pool deck and right next o the midship elevators. It was the loudest room I have ever stayed in. This was a fail on my part as I chose the room. I should have known the location was not a good fit for my mom. In my defense I had hoped the close proximity to the elevators would help with her mobility issues and did not know that a group of 12 - 15 year olds would run wild up and down the mid-ship stairways the last two nights, throwing ice at one another and screaming until 1am keeping us all awake.

Tip #4: Sailing concierge can be very helpful when sailing with someone who has Alzheimers but I would be more likely to recommend it if you're sailing Fantasy or Dream, where the concierge rooms can be booked on the same floor as the lounge and away from the busy elevators and pool deck. In our case, I think we would have been fine, maybe even better off, booking two connecting rooms on a quieter floor since we didn't take advantage of the open bar at all and lounge very often. I also think the adult beach at Castaway would have been sufficient based on how short of a time we were on the beach. Really look at what benefits concierge offers and whether or not it would be a benefit to the person you're traveling with. Also make the concierge hosts aware prior to traveling or immediately when you arrive that the person you're traveling with has Alzheimers and what special needs they may have.

Tip #5: Choose the right ship and the right itinerary based on the needs of the person you're traveling with and sail as soon as you can!

For us, it takes my mom at least 2-3 days to settle in so in hindsight, we would have been better off with a 7 day sailing. I had originally booked the 6 night, NYC to Puerto Rico repo cruise and I am so glad I changed it because my mom hates cold weather. It was 69 the morning we arrived in Miami and she was in her winter coat, shivering on the balcony. A trip in a cooler climate would have been disastrous for her. However, your person may hate the heat, so plan accordingly. Choosing the right ship is also important. Fantasy and Dream are bigger, thus harder to navigate for some but they also have a better setup for their concierge areas. I personally think it's easier to find a quiet corner on the larger ships too. Find an itinerary and ship that meets their needs.

With Alzheimers you never know how long they can function well and enjoy themselves so sooner is almost always better. I wish I could have taken her a year ago but it just wasn't in the cards.

My mom has gotten to the point where her short term memory is so bad that I don't know how much she remembers of our trip. We knew going in that she would come home with few memories and we didn't know which ones she would have. She has a tendency to remember the bad things unfortunately so I didn't want her leaving only remembering the crowds or the noise. I made a point to take pictures of everything. I took pictures of her sitting on the balcony, playing bingo, eating dinner, sitting in the concierge lounge, in all the ports and I'm making her a scrap book with detailed explanations of each picture so we can relive the trip with her afterwards. I hope this scrapbook will paint happy memories where there are none so she can see herself smiling and holding monkeys in St. Kitts and lounging in the sun on White Bay Beach at Jost Van Dyke and smiling with her daughters in the cabana at Castaway.

Tip #6: Take pictures of everything, even the stuff you think might seem insignificant. Imagine what it would be like to wake up from amnesia not remembering what you did on your vacation and build a photo album/scrapbook of all the things you would want to remember.

and did not know that a group of 12 - 15 year olds would run wild up and down the mid-ship stairways the last two nights, throwing ice at one another and screaming until 1am keeping us all awake.

Did you call guest services to complain? They should have sent security to put the kibosh on that.

In all my planning, I did a horrible job of informing everyone around us my mom's condition and what her needs were. I called the special services line and they made a note in my mom's file that she had special needs but could not specify that she had Alzheimers (they aren't allowed to do that) and because she looks so young, no one who encountered her initially assumed that she had Alzheimers. Our first night in the dining room was an epic fail. I requested a quiet area of the dining room but there just isn't a quiet place in Rapunzels Palace on the first night. She has never seen Tangled so she didn't understand the significance of the angry looking men wandering the dining room and one with a mask got in her face, to play but she didn't understand that. She was done after that and I honestly worried she wouldn't recover to enjoy the rest of the cruise. I was so mad at myself for not letting the dining team know ahead of time and doing a better job understanding the show in that MDR. We would have skipped it or I would have better prepared her as they were working the room. This is 100% my fault. I had reservations about this MDR when I found out there was a show and at one point planned to skip it entirely but after talking with my mom I foolishly thought she might enjoy it.

Our dining team was amazing though and I think they figured out after the 5th time in one hour my mom told them that we're from Minnesota and it was 3 degrees when we left what her special needs were and they were so kind to her. They took their time and got down next to her when they talked to her. If she was feeling indecisive they offered to bring her multiple things and were so patient with her when she forgot what they had asked. Our server made her napkin swans which just made her day. I actually got her to go back to that restaurant on the last night and she had such a great experience all because of them.

Tip #7: Try to make as many people you will encounter as possible know about your travel companion's condition and needs. MDR servers, stateroom host, concierge hosts (if you're sailing concierge, guest services, Palo servers if you dine there and the tour operators, etc. Try to do this BEFORE they come in contact with her if possible.

This might sound crazy but I'm actually having business card sized cards made for our next trip that say, "My Mother suffers from Alzheimers disease, thank you for being patient with her and showing her kindness", because we really learned that, for the most part, once people knew why she was slow or indecisive their tone toward her would completely change from one of annoyance or frustration to one of compassion, but it's not easy to get that message across with your Mom standing right there. People can't read her medical ID bracelet and most people don't notice it. There were so many times I wanted to pass our driver, tour operator or random person at Cabanas a note so they understood why she was asking the same questions or expressing the same concern over and over again. I also want a discreet way to thank the many people who go out of their way to hold open the elevator for her with a smile even when she can't decide for sure whether or not she wants to get on and the people who reassure her that she isn't in their way, even when she is.

Did you call guest services to complain? They should have sent security to put the kibosh on that.
Yes, and I know I wasn't the only one who called. The first night it seemed to do the trick but the second night, which was our last night on the ship, they dispersed only to return again. I wish security had delivered them to their parent's door and told them they needed to stay in. I have to believe that at least some of those kids' parent's were not aware of what they were doing. I chewed them out and so did others as well to no avail. It sounds like this crew was also responsible for stealing FE gifts.

Yes, and I know I wasn't the only one who called. The first night it seemed to do the trick but the second night, which was our last night on the ship, they dispersed only to return again. I wish security had delivered them to their parent's door and told them they needed to stay in. I have to believe that at least some of those kids' parent's were not aware of what they were doing. I chewed them out and so did others as well to no avail. It sounds like this crew was also responsible for stealing FE gifts.

Ugh. I know people complain about the under 18s curfew on RCCL (I think 1am), but that would eliminate this kind of thing as they WOULD have been delivered to their parents' cabins. I'm sorry they were brats.

Did your mom ever want to leave the cruise early? My sister kept trying to pack her suitcase to go home a day too soon. The business cards sound like a good idea. During the grandson's wedding, sis made an "unfiltered" comment about the officiant and the bride's aunt overheard and said the bride could have any officiant she wanted. Sis' daughter ripped into the woman (who kept apologizing the rest of the evening.) A card would have been more diplomatic. Yes, it was an interesting wedding.

Pictures are a great idea too. DMIL had memory issues and as we were headed home after a cruise she thought we were just starting our vacation and as the plane took off, she excitedly asked where we were going. Pictures would have been helpful.

Meant to comment that warm-country cruising would be better than cold. Sis wears a sweatshirt in Phoenix when it's over 100F.

Also, if your "person" needs to visit a public restroom, even if the person is mobile, it's a good idea to follow them to make sure they return without getting lost. DMIL got lost after using an airplane lavatory. Her seat was in 1st class.

Great tips, thank you! My mom has Alzheimer's and recently went on a cruise with my siblings. If I ever go on one with her, I will for sure make some of those cards to inform people of her condition.

I just have to chime in on this thread. So many thoughts. I offer you my sincerest compliments on the work you put in on this trip, and for coming here to report on it and allow those in the future to possibly search and find it. This is a topic that I would've never considered before reading this, despite my own experiences with dementia.

Your post has almost brought me to tears. I'm sure this is a difficult time for you. These memories will be so cherished in years to come. I hope you had a fabulous time, and make many more in the days/months/years to come! :love:

Did your mom ever want to leave the cruise early? My sister kept trying to pack her suitcase to go home a day too soon
When she was stressed, she would sometimes ask, "When do we go home?", which just broke my heart. I learned from our previous travels that the day of our flights are always most stressful for her so the day before she is full of worry. For this reason my sister and I chose not to pack on the final night until the last minute or even talk about packing or leaving in front of her, knowing it would stress her out. Once we started packing, she was a mess.

The business cards sound like a good idea. During the grandson's wedding, sis made an "unfiltered" comment about the officiant and the bride's aunt overheard and said the bride could have any officiant she wanted. Sis' daughter ripped into the woman (who kept apologizing the rest of the evening.) A card would have been more diplomatic.
There was one woman who snapped at my mom for, "spacing out" and not getting off the elevator fast enough and I almost let her have it, but had to remind myself that she didn't know why my mom was "spacing out" and not moving quickly and the elevator situation can be stressful for everyone. It would have been nice to hand her one of those cards though to remind her that we never know what struggles other people are facing and we should always try to be compassionate.

Also, if your "person" needs to visit a public restroom, even if the person is mobile, it's a good idea to follow them to make sure they return without getting lost.
Yes! I cannot emphasize this enough. Even if your person is in the earlier stages, do not leave them alone! New places can create confusion where there previously was none.

Last edited:
These memories will be so cherished in years to come. I hope you had a fabulous time, and make many more in the days/months/years to come! :love:

Thank you for your kind words! Overall, we did have a fabulous time and after speaking with my Mom last night, it sounds like she does remember some of the happy memories we made, like floating in the ocean at White Bay Beach and the Tangled musical. She even told my dad that she would like to go again. She also knows that we took lots of pictures and has asked multiple times to see them. This trip was SO worth all the planning and stress and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I have had a couple people make comments about it being a waste of money since she won't remember it anyway and to them I say I WILL REMEMBER! For anyone on the fence about taking a trip like this, I hope you choose to do it.

Tip #8: Safety should be your primary focus! Speak with your person's primary caregivers (if that's not you) and doctor in private so they can be as candid as possible. Learn about their needs, daily routines, what safety concerns you may encounter. Find out what their capabilities are and aren't knowing that they may have many more challenges than you realize if you do not live with them. Speak with the special services line at DCL about what your person's needs are and what you should know about sailing. Come up with plans, both to prevent issues and to handle them when they happen.

I had to really figure out what potential safety considerations my mom would have during a trip like this. I spoke in depth with my dad, who is her primary caregiver. I spoke with guest services and I sat down and went through this trip step by step in my head, trying to figure out what every possible security or safety risk could be for my her from the time we left our house to the time we got back home. Every person will have their own unique hazards but some will be the same. Here are some I identified for my mom.

Separation: People with Alzheimers can wander and they can easily become lost. Someone needs to be with your person at all times! Be prepared that they might not be happy about this and may argue that they do not need someone to accompany them to the bathroom. Go anyway! As I mentioned earlier, TSA was another place where separation could happen. Do not allow them to separate you. Make a plan for if you become separated. On the ship, the special services team told me that you can notify anyone with a walkie talkie and they will find them quickly. We also kept her KTTW card so she couldn't leave the ship without us.
Mobility: This may not be an issue for some but it was for us. My mom is very unstable and a rocking ship only added to her instability. You can arrange to rent scooters, walkers and other special equipment from a couple different companies. We chose to bring our own. We needed the elevators but they were a challenge because if the one in front of us wasn't the one that opened, people would just rush to the other elevator and by the time we got there it would be full. We learned that we needed to push both the up and down button and stand in front of one elevator. Eventually it would open and people were less inclined to swoop in front of us when we were directly in front of it. Even if it was going the wrong direction we got on, it would eventually be going in the direction we needed and getting on an elevator was 9/10th of the battle. For my mom, she was much more stable holding on to one of our arms so we insisted she hold an arm wherever we went.
Medication: Your person will be on medication. For my mom, it was a handful of pills each morning and a few each night. If you are not their primary caregiver, learn what each pill is and what any restrictions are. My mom isn't supposed to drink alcohol (this in no way impacted her trip as she thoroughly enjoyed the "buzz" she claimed she got from all her non-alcoholic fruity drinks :tongue:) and she had to take her pills with food so that meant an order of pastries with our coffee each morning for room service. Pack at least a few extra days worth of pills in case you lose some or your trip home is delayed. Oversee all administration of medication! This was a frequent issue with us. Mom told us she already took them when she hadn't or wanted to take them again when she already had. Put one person in charge of this so it's done consistently every day.
Muster Drill: Talk to your room steward immediately and find out where your muster station is. If it requires flights of stairs that your person can't handle, arrange for a wheelchair. Prepare them ahead of time for the crowds and noise if that's a trigger for them. Don't go early if you can help it. You'll likely get stuck in the back and it will just mean more standing if your person isn't in a wheelchair.
Locked doors: We had to remind my mom constantly that she could not lock bathroom doors. She would lock them, then forget how to get out. Even if your person is not at this stage, if they were to fall in the shower you need to get to them. Try to make it a practice to remind them not to lock doors.
Manage Stress: Yes, this is a safety issue too! The more chaotic the environment, the more stressful it will be on your person and you and that's when mistakes are made. Try to be prepared and organized leaving the stateroom. Find ways to alleviate aggravations on your person. We learned the best times to use the elevators, the most quiet times to be in our room, the best times to get off the ship and we always tried to be prepared with all documents necessary to reduce anxiety and stress.
Dietary Restrictions: Speak with the wait staff right away about any dietary restrictions and know what to expect and what to do if they ingest something they aren't supposed to. This isn't limited to allergies! One of the most common medications for Alzheimers can cause upset stomach and diarrhea. My mom couldn't eat foods her body was not used to and the smell of fish could turn her stomach.
Mentally prepare yourself for anything: Your normally happy person could be agitated and even violent in a new environment. Understand that you won't know how they will react to new places and new faces until you are there so have back up plans for your back up plan and be prepared to work with their response to travel, no matter what it may be.
Other People: A crowded ship can pose many different hazards. Children will run right into you/your person and people will sometimes push/shove in the lines. Avoid the crowded decks at busy times (for us, that meant walking to the back of the ship and taking the aft elevators when we went to cabanas) if possible and arrive at the theater and deck parties early if you want to attend. Another thing to consider, your person may lose their filter. Their mind is not working property and they may say things that you'd never think they would say. Things that are offensive or could be perceived as hostile toward others. If this happens, apologize and let the person they offended know they have Alzheimers before removing them from the situation. Remember that even though your person may not understand or mean what they say, their words and actions should not hurt others or ruin their vacation. Don't assume that your person won't do this! Be prepared and have a plan ready in the chance they do.

Curious if the balcony was a concern for you as well and if so how you handled that?

One thing I would note... I have seen some people on here (not you, but others) promote using magnets on the door to help people (with or without Alzheimer’s) locate their stateroom. That I would caution against as magnets can walk away - either completely or to another door which would cause great confusion and anxiety. Decorations? Sure. But don’t depend on them for cabin identification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter