Salmonella hits up to 141 at Disney

CaipiraBob

"Perfectly content to be an absolute caveman"
<P>

Salmonella hits up to 141 at Disney </p><p>

Organ-transplant recipients among those infected
A photomicrograph shows the characteristic shape of a salmonella bacterium. </p><p>

MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS </p><p>

ORLANDO, Fla., Aug. 23 — A salmonella outbreak at Walt Disney World sickened as many as 141 people, including visitors attending an athletic competition for organ-transplant recipients, health officials said Friday. Officials would not identify the company that distributed the tainted food but said it was under investigation by numerous state and federal agencies. </p><p>
<a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/798447.asp">More Here...</a></p>

<P>Ooops, hit the submit button rather than preview!</p>
<P>At any rate this is just a good heads up. When we go next month we're pretty much going to be a "captive audience" as far as food goes. We'll have a car, but there's so many restaurants we want to try on the grounds. It's not like we're going to pass on a character meal because of a single incident.</p>
<P>Still, just like anywhere I guess it's good be careful. Who would have thought to check tomatoes though? I mean usually you can tell if they're bad. </p>
<P>Having small kids this is a major concern for me. Then again, I guess we take this chance at any time we eat food we have not personally prepared.</p>
<P>I think the good news here is that now that Disney's had a good slap upside the head (not to mention the pending lawsuits which will inevitably come) they're going to be very careful to prevent this from happening in the future.</p>

Hard to blame Disney for this--"prepackaged" food is served at almost every restaurant everywhere in the USA. How could they possibly know in advance???
One runs this risk everytime you eat--at home, or in a restaurant. Almost anything you buy at a store (that is "prepackaged" ) could be a problem.
And you can get this bacteria from eating food at almost any Church social, or VFW bullroast.

Oh-that was a real helpful touch in the article showing the actual bacteria--just what I needed to see.

I was wondering what I was going to see for a reaction.

Poop happens. Here, there everywhere.

Now if WDW had a king, would the food taster have found the bad food before it made it to the parks? :rolleyes:

uncleromulus is right. It starts with the place the food orignates from. How was it handled, packaged,and shipped.
If there is enough bacteria, you can cook it all day and it won't matter. I just hope they find the culprit and get rid of it and then inspect the place it came from.:(

Don't start blaming WDW for this problem. It can and does happen in several resturants and stores. Most of the time you don't evenj know that it is one of those pesky bugs in your food. Believe me Disney didn't need to be slaped up the side of the head (as a poster stated). You always take your health in your own hands when eating out and preparing food in your home. Such is the nature of the lives we choose to lead, the faster we can get things done the more we can do. Hence, the better chance of illness being passed on to unsuspecting partakers of prepackaged and prepared foods!!

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to blame this on the cutbacks! :rolleyes:

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to blame this on the cutbacks!

Well that is what they blame everything else on!

We have eaten in the past year, at least 20 meals at WDW, with no upset tummies at all! As someone else said, the problem didn't start with WDW, it is just a shame it had to end there! I am sorry that people got sick, but that could have happened anywhere, even those restaurants not on Disney property! Give it a rest!

WDW was actually a victim of this too. They were prepackaged diced Roma tomatos from what my newspaper said. I bet people who got sick blamed the WDW water though;) ! People tend to do that:rolleyes: !

Gone to WDW 15 times, never gotten sick on food (unless you count the "I ate too much"). However, this is one of my biggest fears about going solo-what if I get sick? Any tips to help?

I've never gotten sick from Disney's food, but I was traveling solo and got very sick from a major hotel chain's room service pizza. I was too sick to make it to a cab to get to a hospital and too foggy headed to realize I needed to go then more than ever. Fortunately I was headed for a cruise and had met a couple of families going on the same ship, because I really did need assistance. My only tip is to decide now what you'd do in that situation so if it should happen the choice is clear. Know what your medical insurance would cover for an out-of-town ER visit (mine is 100%), and make sure to travel with proof of insurance.

I wonder why this is just coming out now, the article said that this happened back in June! It appears that the culprit was pre package tomatoes, so I guess it could have happened any where. It is ashame that it happened to people who were organ donor receipents. The article did say that no one died (thank goodness).
I am sure that Disney will be sued, if it happened in another restaurant that restaurant would be sued, the company that packaged the tomatoes will be brought into the suit as well. But I am sure all we will hear about is Disney's end of it.

Just a FYI, nothing to do directly with Disney that I know of: There is currently a huge ground beef recall going on due to Ecoli. From what I read, most of the meat was distributed to restaurants and "institutions", so be careful what you eat ANYWHERE and order your burgers well-done! I refuse to let my kids eat ground beef, especially if not prepared at home. It is just too scary for me and not worth the risk.

LAKE BUENA VISTA -- About 140 people, including organ-transplant patients in town for an athletic competition, got sick with salmonella poisoning after eating diced tomatoes at Walt Disney World in June, health officials said Friday.

Disney stopped using the tomatoes as soon as it was notified of the problem in mid-July, said Marilyn Waters, a Disney World spokeswoman. Health officials say there is no ongoing threat, and no one died.

In all, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identified people from 32 states who became sick, and at least three persons required hospitalization. The food-borne disease typically causes diarrhea and fever that subside without treatment.

But complications can be serious for organ recipients, who take drugs to suppress their immune systems so their bodies do not reject the donated organ. The CDC is recommending doctors test for salmonella in any transplant recipients showing symptoms who attended the games. Those patients may need antibiotics.

Officials would not identify the food processor, but Bill Toth, an epidemiologist with the Orange County Health Department, said it is being investigated by state health officials, the Food and Drug Administration and the CDC.

Held June 25to29 at Disney, the 2002 Transplant Games were attended by 6,000 people, including 1,500 organ recipients. Officials could not give a breakdown on the number of recipients who got sick.

The problem surfaced in mid-July, when the Minnesota Department of Health identified two salmonella cases in people who had attended the games. The CDC then asked state health departments nationwide to see whether they had similar cases.

Through interviews, health officials determined they all ate dishes with diced tomatoes at six Disney venues.

"The minute that we had an indication of what the product might be, we removed it 100 percent from our property," Waters said.

I can't begin to see how Disney has any liability here--but with lawyers, judges, and juries these days, Lord knows what might happen.
But if I were Disney and any of these "lawsuits" were successful (not talking about the manufacturer of the tainted product, who might be sue-able) know what I'd do??
Never sponser that affair again!!
Here they are doing something nice for the community and what happens?? Lawyers descend on them like flies on tainted tomatoes. So why bother??

It's scary, but put me in the camp that this one was not Disney's fault.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!