Salt and Straw

I'm really excited to try this place out next month!

Oddly enough I'm pretty keen to try the olive/goat cheese flavour, just because it sounds so unique. Also the strawberry balsamic. And honey lavender. Several visits may be needed...

I wonder if there will still be long lines at say 11pm-ish?

I live in the Portland area, and I just can't with the Salt and Straw. I realize that people eat bugs and dirt, unknowingly, all the time. I would just rather not think about it. lol I am in complete denial.

Some of these flavors sound truly disgusting, like the olive brittle one. Looking forward to trying the caramel, chocolate brownie and cookie dough flavors, though.
LOL that's why I stuck with the the flavor that had vanilla, chocolate, and cookie dough...everything else was too much for me. I live near the one in Venice and when I go there I always get the "basic" flavors.

We’ve got one in Seattle and I’m not really a fan. I’ve tried a regular flavor (caramel sea salt) and a unique one (something with cheese in it). I really wanted to like them too.

This is how I felt about Ample Hills at the Boardwalk at WDW. I thought it was disgusting. I got the ooey gooey butter cake and the half baked cookie dough flavor and there was just way too much "stuff" in there. There was hardly any ice cream. I felt like I was chewing and chewing and chewing and it was just sweet overload with no real discernable flavors. And it was ridiculously expensive. We went once in a 10 day trip and never went back. Instead, we went back to L'Artisan des Glaces a couple times for REAL ice cream that actually tasted like ice cream, not a candy bar.

A single scoop is $6. A double scoop is $8. A cone costs $1.50. Where are you seeing a $15 scoop of ice cream?
Looking at Disney website. Those prices are a lot more reasonable, lol

I live in the Portland area, and I just can't with the Salt and Straw. I realize that people eat bugs and dirt, unknowingly, all the time. I would just rather not think about it. lol I am in complete denial.

Right? Like I don't need actual crickets in my smooth creamy ice cream. Like I said above, I usually skip them and head to Lauretta Jean's across the street. I wish they'd open a shop at DD!

Right? Like I don't need actual crickets in my smooth creamy ice cream. Like I said above, I usually skip them and head to Lauretta Jean's across the street. I wish they'd open a shop at DD!
I will have to check that out when we go this summer.

DprvRa8XgAA4Yei.jpg

The Pots of Gold & Rainbows is wonderful. It’s cereal milk in ice cream form and is nostalgia for me with the little bits of Lucky Charms mixed in. DTD is currently the only shop that sells scoops of this flavor (it used to be a constant classic flavor at other locations in the past) and is reason enough for us to wait in line (and reason enough to sometimes go to DTD on a weeknight.)

To me, it's just another gimmick. I went to the one in Portland with my daughter and son-in-law. To me, it's the kind of place that appeals to a younger, hipper crowd than I belong to. I love ice cream and was excited when my daughter told me we were going to this great ice cream place, but it took forever and after sampling several flavors, I settled on one that wasn't filled with herbs or other 'cool' ingredients. I love ice cream. I make my own and experiment to a degree, but Salt and Straw, IMO, is simply tapping a market of people looking for the next thing. I much prefer HD's Belgian Chocolate ice cream and I will miss them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter