Salt and Straw

Okay, finally tried this place today. I sampled several flavors and only really liked the cookie dough. Everything else was just overly one note. The salted caramel was a salt lick...not good at all. And I usually love salted caramel flavored everything. The chocolate brownie was intensely chocolatey and rich...way too rich to eat a whole scoop, but I know my son would love it. The strawberry balsamic was WAY too heavy on the balsamic. After trying that one, I was over it, and just got a scoop of the cookie dough. The girl who helped me was super nice, but she basically admitted that there is no quality control because she said stuff like "sometimes it ends up too salty" and "that batch probably got too much vinegar because it tastes really strong today." So, that seems weird.

I ate the scoop, but didn't enjoy it 100%. The first 3/4 that I ate was just plain vanilla. I finally found ALL the cookie dough and fudge clumped together at the bottom. By the time I found it, there wasn't much actual ice cream left, so I was eating mouthfuls of cookie dough which, after awhile just became too sweet. I HATE it when ice cream mix ins aren't evenly distrubuted. The taste of the ice cream was good, but something about the texture was off. It was melty and soft but also kind of chewy (?). I found it to be too heavy, personally. I much prefer the ice cream at Ghirardelli and the prices there are better and they offer the AP discount, so I doubt I'll visit Salt & Straw again. I'm sad about that because I was looking forward to a good ice cream place.

There wasn't a line at all. I was one of 2 people in the place. Seems the initial hype has disappeared. I went around 1pm today.

We popped in around noon and had a few people in front of us. The only flavor I could tolerate was the gooey chocolate brownie. The cookie dough was too salty for me, and the mint chocolate chip was too minty. :crazy2: My youngest enjoyed her salted caramel and gooey brownie but mentioned the waffle cone tasted weird.

We much prefer Ample Hills on the boardwalk at WDW and will likely not return to Salt and Straw. Ghirardelli or Clarabelle’s is better/cheaper for our DLR ice cream fix. :lovestruc

I wasn't impressed. I want Hagaan Dazs back. They retired my favorite ice cream flavor (brownies a la mode) but I was still able to get it at the Downtown Disney Store. So. Sad.
I wasn't impressed with the flavor offerings at Salt & Straw. My 4 year old just wanted chocolate ice cream and they didn't even have that basic offering...got him the chocolate brownie once and he ate around the brownie pieces. Oh well, one less place to spend my money on our visits.

I like the Pot of Gold aka the Lucky Charms
flavor but otherwise I definitely prefer Haagen Dasz!!

Does anyone know if the seasonal flavors have been updated from the Halloween-y ones?

...Does anyone know if the seasonal flavors have been updated from the Halloween-y ones?
The current seasonal flavors are Thanksgiving themed. The December seasonal flavors were announced in the Disney Parks Blog last week:
  • Salt & Straw – Savor a scoop or pint of seasonal flavors like Gingerbread Cookie Dough, Peppermint Bark Mocha and Cinnamon Coconut Eggnog.

Does anyone know if the seasonal flavors have been updated from the Halloween-y ones?

The Thanksgiving flavors are intense - I definitely remember one includes turkey brittle :scared1:, another has cornbread, and the third maybe goat cheese with something...? :eek:

So I had the Pot of Gold with Lucky Charms yesterday and it was SO good! I also sampled the lavender honey and it was delicious. I was afraid the lavender might be too strong but it wasn’t, it was just right. I’ll definitely go back next time I’m there :thumbsup2

I finally tried it last week and I think I was a bit let down by it to be honest. I sampled the Lavender Honey (lavender was too strong for me) and the Goat Cheese/Walnut Brittle (thought I would like it but didn't). Ended up with the Pot of Gold and Rainbows and the Gingerbread cookie dough, both of which were yummy but not quite worth queuing up ages for.

Like a pp I think I prefer Ample Hills at WDW...

We tried the Gingerbread Cookie Dough and liked it a lot. The rum flavor is not overpowering and nicely compliments the gingerbread. Wish the cookie pieces were a little smaller so they would fit more easily on the spoon, but that might vary from batch to batch. DH really liked the Peppermint Bark flavor. AP discount is back for pints only.

Last edited:
I went to the DTD shop for the first time a few weeks ago. I sampled several flavors and it was good ice cream, but it's nothing I would rave about or feel was a must-do. I still prefer HD Belgian chocolate over anything I tried at Salt & Straw, but I do like the way they've decorated and changed the interior. I think the people that are disappointed in S&S aren't looking for "generic" ice cream so much as really good ice cream with traditional flavors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter