Salt and Straw

Went on their website to look up the flavors for their Anaheim location. Gross! Nothing is just a normal flavor. It all has weird stuff in it. If I want chocolate, I want regular chocolate. Not chocolate sorbet. And no herbs in ice cream please. And anything flavored with lavender is just icky.

I’m definitely going to pass!!

... I’m definitely going to pass!!
They do have a plain vanilla flavor (or they did the last time I was there). And they are generous with the samples, so you can ask away about flavors, ingredients, and then taste test as many times as you want. Often, the flavors don't taste nearly as weird as they sound. We just steer clear of the more extreme sounding stuff.
At least there is still good old Gibson Girl, Clarabelle's, and Ghirardelli's -- always reliable!

People complain so much about this place - I don’t get it. I thinks it’s great! And it’s something different! There’s plenty of other “normal” ice cream elsewhere. If you don’t like it then don’t go. :duck::confused3

People complain so much about this place - I don’t get it. I thinks it’s great! And it’s something different! There’s plenty of other “normal” ice cream elsewhere. If you don’t like it then don’t go. :duck::confused3
I complain because, while I think it's ok, I love what it replaced. The other ice cream options in DLR are just basic ice cream. Taking out something many of us thought was superior is worthy of complaint. I don't really think it's fair to complain about our complaints :D

Right? Like if you wanted basic ice cream how great that you still have so many options inside the parks to go grab a basic vanilla cone (or many other types of "normal" ice cream). IMO Haagen Dazs is basic boring ice cream I can get at home, like Baskin Robins. Salt & Straw is higher quality ice cream and unique flavors. There is a reason HD never had a line except on super hot days but S&S still pulls in crazy lines when the temps almost dropped below freezing and late into the night every night. Now a small part of that is simply because it is the new trendy thing, but we will see if it has staying power over time and I suspect that it does.

Right? Like if you wanted basic ice cream how great that you still have so many options inside the parks to go grab a basic vanilla cone (or many other types of "normal" ice cream)...
And therein lies the problem -- not everyone in DTD has a ticket to go "inside the parks." And not everyone has the palate or preference for gourmet or artisanal ice cream, and that's totally fine. But they also shouldn't have to buy a ticket for the parks just to get a "normal" ice cream cone for their child or for themselves. It would be nice if DTD kept Salt & Straw (which I really like) and also had another ice cream place, or another CS place that sold regular ice cream and other food, on the other end. Whenever we went to HD, there was a line -- not as long as the line for S&S, but HD was never totally empty when we went by. (And we're in DTD once a week on average.)

And therein lies the problem -- not everyone in DTD has a ticket to go "inside the parks." And not everyone has the palate or preference for gourmet or artisanal ice cream, and that's totally fine. But they also shouldn't have to buy a ticket for the parks just to get a "normal" ice cream cone for their child or for themselves. It would be nice if DTD kept Salt & Straw (which I really like) and also had another ice cream place, or another CS place that sold regular ice cream and other food, on the other end. Whenever we went to HD, there was a line -- not as long as the line for S&S, but HD was never totally empty when we went by. (And we're in DTD once a week on average.)
To those people I would probably suggest that they stop by: Splitsville for a Super Sundae or a Ghirardelli brownie topped with vanilla ice cream. Or La Brea Bakery where they can get various flavors of gelato at both the dine in area or take away area. Or get a taste of the parks without the ticket price by swinging by Tangaroa Terrace at the DLH and grab a Dole Whip- now you can get it here as a regular soft serve, a float with pineapple juice, or even a float with shot of rum in it for the adults (hey you can't get THAT in the parks). I'm sure there are other yummy ice cream options in Downtown Disney and the connected hotels as well but those are just the first few that quickly come to mind.

Went on their website to look up the flavors for their Anaheim location. Gross! Nothing is just a normal flavor. It all has weird stuff in it. If I want chocolate, I want regular chocolate. Not chocolate sorbet. And no herbs in ice cream please. And anything flavored with lavender is just icky.

I’m definitely going to pass!!

The previous ice cream outlet was pretty boring and not innovative like Disney. You need to constantly reinvent the business and its products to keep it fresh. If you don't innovate your business will die.

There is a reason HD never had a line except on super hot days but S&S still pulls in crazy lines when the temps almost dropped below freezing and late into the night every night. Now a small part of that is simply because it is the new trendy thing, but we will see if it has staying power over time and I suspect that it does.

Interesting, and I know it's anecdotal, but I always thought HD had lines and I've never seen a soul inside S&S. In fact, just based on the lack of customers every time I've walked by, I was wondering how long it will even be there.

Interesting, and I know it's anecdotal, but I always thought HD had lines and I've never seen a soul inside S&S. In fact, just based on the lack of customers every time I've walked by, I was wondering how long it will even be there.

Same. Where are all these lines people keep talking about? I am there every week and every time I walk by, there is maybe 1 person in there, maybe.

FWIW, Marcelines now has a freezer and sells all the theme park ice cream treats like Mickey bars, Mickey Ice Cream Sandwiches, Tollhouse Cookie sandwiches, etc. They added it right around the same time S&S opened.

The previous ice cream outlet was pretty boring and not innovative like Disney. You need to constantly reinvent the business and its products to keep it fresh. If you don't innovate your business will die.

Um. Okay.

Wetzels Pretzels has been there FOREVER and they don't innovate. Its the same old same old, year after year. In fact, they just did a massive renovation of that place to bring the aesthetic more in line with its neighbors. HD was as popular, if not more so.

... Marcelines now has a freezer and sells all the theme park ice cream treats like Mickey bars, Mickey Ice Cream Sandwiches, Tollhouse Cookie sandwiches, etc. They added it right around the same time S&S opened.
This is really good to know. Thanks for posting this. I'm sure many parents will be glad to read this. People shouldn't be forced to look for TS or expensive, gourmet options when their kid just wants familiar ice cream -- especially when it comes down to dietary issues and you're not sure what might set off a new allergy or reaction. At least when it's something already familiar, you know what you're working with. And Marceline's offers an AP discount!

This is really good to know. Thanks for posting this. I'm sure many parents will be glad to read this. People shouldn't be forced to look for TS or expensive, gourmet options when their kid just wants familiar ice cream -- especially when it comes down to dietary issues and you're not sure what might set off a new allergy or reaction. At least when it's something already familiar, you know what you're working with. And Marceline's offers an AP discount!

Yep, the AP discount is why we buy all our packaged ice cream treats at either Marcelines now or the hotel QS locations. And now, DLH has Dole Whips at Tangaroa Terrace for $2.99 PLUS AP discount, so it's a no brainer to get them there rather than pay almost $6 in the park.

I haven’t had Salt & Straw yet, but I’m excited for it because I love trying new things.
But I will say that I wish Ample Hills had just come in. They are by far the best ice cream I’ve ever had and they already have a good relationship with Disney.

While I wasn't bowled over by Ample Hills, I did prefer it much more than Salt & Straw. The flavors were much more fun and mainstream, and the quality was good. S&S is just far too pretentious.

Looks good to me--I want to try S&S next time I go to Portland and next time I'm at Disneyland. I thought all the flavors would be bizarre, but for Anaheim, the only odd ball ones were the one with goat cheese and the one with pepper. Both sound like they could be interesting, even good--worth a sample, at least.

... but for Anaheim, the only odd ball ones were the one with goat cheese and the one with pepper. Both sound like they could be interesting, even good--worth a sample, at least.
Definitely sample first! Since the ice cream is made in small batches, each batch comes out a little different from the last. So we had the strawberry with black pepper one time and it was very good -- not too spicy, the pepper was a background note. The next time we tried it, the pepper was quite dominant. Very different. So now we sample whatever we want to buy, even if it's a favorite we've had before -- just to make sure nothing is too varied from the way we like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter