Same-sex character interaction?

plumsiren

DIS Veteran
While reading the wonderful thread about suggestions for what to say to characters, I had a thought: are character CMs 'allowed' to play up any guest behavior that suggests same-sex romantic attraction? For example a woman fake-proposing to a princess, a guy flirting with Gaston, things like that? I know a lot of characters do flirty things - often in subtle ways - with opposite-gender guests.

I know Gaston has a lot of gay fans and I've witnessed that he is super friendly to all of them but I don't know how "flirty" any character can get with a same sex fan. Good question! CMs, however, can get downright shameless. First hand experience with that!

Not a same sex interaction, but a gay-related one nonetheless. My twin sister and I were visiting our CM cousin in May 2012. We are all big character fans, so we visited Town Hall back when Aurora, Cinderella, and Belle resided in the space. While visiting with Cinderella, she asked if I had any luck looking for my princess. I corrected her and said, "Well, actually my prince". She looked me straight in the face with the sincerest smile and said, "I'm sure he's out in the kingdom somewhere. You'll just have to keep looking".

Amazing moment. I love Disney.

While reading the wonderful thread about suggestions for what to say to characters, I had a thought: are character CMs 'allowed' to play up any guest behavior that suggests same-sex romantic attraction? For example a woman fake-proposing to a princess, a guy flirting with Gaston, things like that? I know a lot of characters do flirty things - often in subtle ways - with opposite-gender guests.

I've flirted with Peter Pan on two different occasions and Captain Jack Sparrow once. All three times were pretty subtle, and they were more than willing to play along.

- Dve

With Jack Sparrow, I asked if I could apply to be his cabin boy. With Peter Pan, both times I was angling to become one of the Lost Boys.

-- Dave

Not a same sex interaction, but a gay-related one nonetheless. My twin sister and I were visiting our CM cousin in May 2012. We are all big character fans, so we visited Town Hall back when Aurora, Cinderella, and Belle resided in the space. While visiting with Cinderella, she asked if I had any luck looking for my princess. I corrected her and said, "Well, actually my prince". She looked me straight in the face with the sincerest smile and said, "I'm sure he's out in the kingdom somewhere. You'll just have to keep looking".

This is so incredibly sweet. Made my day. :)

I totally missed that this got replies! Thanks everyone! Personally, I plan to flirt with some princes AND princesses ::yes::

On my last trip to WDW I waited in line to get a picture with Gaston.
He was great - really played the part well. And as nice a he could be being Gaston - Lol!
Got some great pictures with him!

I wanted a pic with Gaston but my friends were too embarrassed at the last minute and jumped out of line. I guess I should have stayed in line and did it solo. Maybe next time!!

Your post makes me think of an interaction my girlfriend and I had with Elsa-- she looked at us and said "Are you sisters?" (which of course was answered with an emphatic no...) she fumbled for a moment and said "The very best of friends?" (to which we responded with a "Sort of...") It was clear she got it, but obviously didn't want to say anything out loud!

Through social media I've seen some very negative reactions to same-sex mentionings to face characters as well. Some CMs don't keep their personal views as hidden as they should. Tread with caution.

Oh my gosh. Made me choke up. How sweet.

Oh come on - Disney is about making dreams come true, and if the actors can't deal with fake "wedding proposals" or flirts, they're in the wrong customer-facing job.

I can speak for my point of view that I personally find it awkward. I don't see how imposing on the characters is making a dream come true wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask them about things in the movies/what thier representjng?

My opinion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!