Same sex couple looking to honeymoon in DW

kconley34

Earning My Ears
My fiance and I are interested in honeymooning in Disney World. If we go we will want to wear cute "bride/just married" matching shirts or pins. My fiance is a little hesitant about this though because it will draw attention to us.Even though we are secure with who we are and don't care what people think, our honeymoon isn't a time where we want to deal with ignorance.

Is there any gay couples out there that honeymooned in DW that can offer some information on how it is?

Has anyone seen any same sex couples honeymooning in DW with shirts and pins?

Not gay but I've seen 2 grooms both wearing the Mickey groom ears with their wedding date on them and the I'll be your Mickey shirts. It was really cute and I wanted to congratulate them on their wedding.

To be honest I say if it is a cute shirt to celebrate your wedding who cares! It is your honeymoon and it is now legal in all 50 states so you do you.

I have also seen I found my Prince Charming on a shirt with the date as well and that was adorable. I'm the girl the gushes over cute couples in the park not matter what their situation is I just love love.

Last edited:
I am going to move this to our Gay and Lesbian at Disney board. They should be able to give you plenty of advice and share their experiences. We also have a board specifically for Disney Weddings and Honeymoons so check over there for honeymoon specific information.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and have a great time at Disney!

Last edited:
I don't think you'd have any issue whatsoever. The vast majority of people will not even pay the slightest attention, and won't even notice the shirts. A few people will notice, and think perhaps you both have new husbands running around somewhere. A few will notice, and think 'good for them' or maybe even congratulate you. If any of the tiny percent of remaining folks notice the shirts, figure it out, and actually have a problem with it, the chances of them coming over and telling you so to your face is infinitesimal IMO. Disney is an openly gay-friendly organization and place, and you can feel it when you're there. I would put it out of your minds and enjoy your honeymoon. :)

My wife and I did our engagement trip in Disney World and everyone was so incredibly wonderful. We wore just engaged pins for the entire trip, all our ADRs indicated we were celebrating our engagement, and we did wear shirts proclaiming we were just engaged. Cast members were so kind to us and even fellow guests were super nice wishing us congratulations (even kids!) We got a lot of pixie dust that trip. This was back in 2011 as well, so I can only imagine it has become more welcoming since then.

I am not gay, but I say you have just as much a right to wear special hats or shirts to celebrate your special event as any other couple. I can't say you won't get a single comment from a single socially ignorant person, but I would say there will be many many more telling you congratulations. Wear them and have a great time!!!!

Do want to mention myself and my partner wore anniversary badges on our trip last time and so many people stopped to wish us a happy anniversary, it was really so touching :)

I've been wondering about whether to wear anniversary badges. Part of our motivation for the trip is to celebrate 30 years together, but we've never really picked a specific date, and we can't go around the time of year that we made it legal. Do people get upset if, when they ask what day is the anniversary, we say six months ago?

I've been wondering about whether to wear anniversary badges. Part of our motivation for the trip is to celebrate 30 years together, but we've never really picked a specific date, and we can't go around the time of year that we made it legal. Do people get upset if, when they ask what day is the anniversary, we say six months ago?

CMs won't get upset. You can celebrate whenever at Disney!

My wife and I are a same sex couple and we were married at Disney World last October. We went for an engagement/tasting trip and wore the "just engaged" buttons the whole time and for the week we were there for the wedding we wore white baseball caps that said "Hitched Chicks" along with the "happily ever after" buttons the whole time. I can't tell you the number of times that we were stopped by everyone, guests and cast members alike, and gushed over and told "congratulations". Never an ill word or awkward glance. We did a wedding trip report that can be found under the wedding section if you like to see it!

We are going back this November for our "1st Anniversary" (really we have been together 24 years), but going in November so we can do Christmas stuff as we did Halloween for the wedding, but even though its a month late, no one will care and we will wear the anniversary badges! (often get free dessert with a badge on!)

We just celebrated our 25th anniversary at WDW and proudly wore our anniversary buttons the CM's made for us. We're not "in your face" folks either but, at the World, we seem to relax and people have been wonderful to my wife and I. I hope you have the same experience.

My wife and I went to WDW for our honeymoon in 2009, and we both wore brides ears and 'just married' buttons. We got fantastic comments and support from cast members and other visitors, it was just wonderful and I absolutely recommend it. My favorite memory is two middle-aged lesbians who saw us from afar in Epcot and then tracked us down on their ECVs to find out where we got the ears and to take pictures of us. :) In absolute fairness, we did get a not-so-great look from one cast member at one of the Disney restaurants we went to that we're pretty sure was related to us as a couple (but still perfectly fine service). Given everything, we were pretty pleased with those proportions!

My wife and I had a "Disneymoon" in 2012, and it was awesome!!! :love:

We wore our "Happily Ever After" buttons the whole time, and not one person batted an eyelash about it. We got really cute celebratory cupcakes and champagne (depending on the restaurant) after some of our TS meals, and the CM's all seemed to be genuinely happy for us. :goodvibes

The only "issue" we had, which wasn't an issue at all was this: We went to buy the pins that have an image of the wedding Mickey ears on them (they're sold in a set and one is the male version with the top-hat Mickey ears that says "Mr." on it, and the other is the female version that has the veil Mickey ears that says "Mrs.") but we wanted to break them up so that we would get 2 pins that said "Mrs." on them. We took them to the register and at first the CM wasn't going to let us do it (because she said it's a policy not to break them up), so just as I was hanging them back on the rack she ran over and got them for us and said "they were already like this!" with a wink. It was a nice little bit of pixie dust :wizard: So, based on our experience I would say you won't have any issues whatsoever with the CM's. :thumbsup2

We never had any issues with other guests either, which was great! (and a relieving) Now, we didn't go around holding each other's hands the entire time nor did we show any PDA's, so that could have contributed to it. We actually had some guests congratulate us in lines, which was really sweet! We're from an open and accepting city, but we know not everywhere is like that so we like to keep this in mind every time we go anywhere, and usually keep to ourselves because of that. I'm sure you'll be just fine ::yes:: Just don't examine each others tonsils in the middle of Main St :laughing:, and you'll probably have more people congratulating you than you think :goodvibes

So, I know the thread's a little old, but I thought I'd share my experiences also.

Last Feb, 2015, my partner of 20 years (21 next month) and I celebrated our anniversary in Disney World. It was also our first trip there. We were kind of on the fence about celebrating opening at first too, but we decided, it's our anniversary, it's our celebration, so we're going to celebrate it! We got Happy Anniversary Celebration buttons to wear so everyone would know.

Every CM we came across was absolutely accepting and supportive and treated us like normal people just as I imagine they treat everyone else. A couple of them even mentioned that they were gay, themselves, and were happy to see us celebrating our love for each other. There are three moments in particular that stand out in my mind.

First, when we got back to our room at POP Century on our second day we noticed the mousekeeping left an autographed photo of Mickey and Minnie on our bed wishing us a Happy Anniversary.

Second, was when we were having breakfast at Chef Mickey's one morning. The characters were making their rounds and we were getting photos with them in between bites. When Mickey himself came over, he pointed to our anniversary buttons and made a big heart shape with his hands, and I just thought that was so touching. We thanked him and got a nice photo with him.

Third was when we were taking a break in Magic Kingdom, just sitting and getting off our feet for awhile. One of the wandering PhotoPass photographers noticed our buttons and asked if she could take a photo of us with this big "Be Mine" Candy Heart sign she had with her. It's one of our favorites from the trip.

The whole experience was amazing and we're very much looking forward to going back Feb 2017.

Thanks for sharing and we're really glad you had such a great experience. We've been together almost 26 years now and have to say that WDW and the CM's make our vacations most relaxing and fun.
We were at the Grand Floridian for Christmas and some of the CM's were actually rude! First time we ever encountered it and we were so puzzled. Wondered if it was because of our sexual orientation...and then laughed at ourselve when we discovered it was due to the fact that we were staying at GF on our DVC points!
(Guess they couldn't smell our money. )
And congrats on your approaching 21 years!

My future wife and I will be arriving at WDW for our honeymoon on May 22. We fully intend to get the Minnie bride hat ears and hopefully get some sort of "just married" pin. Regarding the pins, are they only available at guest services at MK, or at other parks as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter