Same sex couples need to disclose State marriage performed?

pharm35

Earning My Ears
Were other couples signing up for DVC required to report what state they were married in? We were told as a same-sex couple they needed that information since gay marriage is not legal everywhere. I told them that it was but the salesman told me it was required information. Has anyone else had this experience?

I may be remembering this wrong, but I don't think I had to report being married at all when I added on with Disney. What was the context around them asking you your marital relationship? Was it needed in order to sign the contract, or to do something like secure financing?

This doesn't sound right, especially if you are not financing (and even financing, that doesn't sound right). Only question is if they are using that info to verify identity or for a credit check, but it sounds like the salesman is saying that the question is only for same-sex couples? That definitely doesn't sound right.

We were paying in full in 90 days. I can understand asking about being married. But having special questions for same sex couples seems so outdated. They even argued that same sex marriage isn’t legal everywhere. It certainly is. They told me no.
What the heck? Feel like cancelling the deal.

This doesn't sound right, especially if you are not financing (and even financing, that doesn't sound right). Only question is if they are using that info to verify identity or for a credit check, but it sounds like the salesman is saying that the question is only for same-sex couples? That definitely doesn't sound right.

The only thing I could think is if it falls into financing - salesperson wants to make sure both parties are responsible in terms of default. They want to make sure the marriage was not just an agreement between parties, but a contractually binding one. While gay marriage has been legal across the country for a few years now, it was not in many states until just recently. If the OP stated that they were married for 8 years now, I could see where the salesperson would want to check and make sure it was legally binding, as it would not have been legal in Alabama in 2009. A weird and intrusive question, yes, but I could see where they are checking to make sure all works out for them in the case of something going wrong - as long as this is related to financing a purchase.

We were paying in full in 90 days. I can understand asking about being married. But having special questions for same sex couples seems so outdated. They even argued that same sex marriage isn’t legal everywhere. It certainly is. They told me no.

Without knowing much about this, it sounds like it could be ignorance or even bias coming from the salesperson. I doubt it is coming from top down at Disney, as they make it pretty clear in a public sense that they support same-sex couples, not to mention they would want to make a direct sales sale to as many people as possible. If you feel something was done incorrectly, I would recommend calling DVC to talk with a manager to see if the correct protocol was followed. If it was, you know to be turned off to the whole process. If it wasn't, demand a new sales guide, as well as an apology, and let them deal with that particular sales person.

If you are buying DVC direct I would definitely escalate.

I wonder if it has more to do with survivorship in recording the deed in Orange County. As part of the contract buyers select from a few “deed vesting” options - tennants in the entirety, joint tennancy, tennants in common etc. which may change how they are referred to when recording the deed or the transfer of the deed. Our recent deed recording listed our sellers in the legalese as “X and X, Husband and Wife, herein after referred to as grantor.....” Perhaps, pure speculation on my part, a same sex couple on a deed may be listed for example as “X and X, a New Jersey married couple herein after referred to as grantor/grantee”....etc. Just a thought.

The more I think about it the more wrong it sounds.

I wonder if it has more to do with survivorship in recording the deed in Orange County. As part of the contract buyers select from a few “deed vesting” options - tennants in the entirety, joint tennancy, tennants in common etc. which may change how they are referred to when recording the deed or the transfer of the deed. Our recent deed recording listed our sellers in the legalese as “X and X, Husband and Wife, herein after referred to as grantor.....” Perhaps, pure speculation on my part, a same sex couple on a deed may be listed for example as “X and X, a New Jersey married couple herein after referred to as grantor/grantee”....etc

I struck out the words "Husband and Wife" as they referred to us, as a matter of principle. The terms "tenants in the entirety," "tenants in common," etc. are all that is needed to define the ownership and survivorship of the property. There absolutely does not need to be a defining "husband and wife" or other term in there. I could buy a property with my sister, or my daughter, or my friend, and that relationship does not need to be defined.

Thanks for helping me think this over. The agent only said it was a required question for same sex couples and same sex marriage isn’t legal in all states. I corrected him but he wouldn’t give it up. I may contact customer service so others are not treated this way in the future.

The more I think about it the more wrong it sounds.

I struck out the words "Husband and Wife" as they referred to us, as a matter of principle. The terms "tenants in the entirety," "tenants in common," etc. are all that is needed to define the ownership and survivorship of the property. There absolutely does not need to be a defining "husband and wife" or other term in there. I could buy a property with my sister, or my daughter, or my friend, and that relationship does not need to be defined.

Ok. But if I am not mistaken only a married couple may deed via tennants in the entirety. I’m still thinking deed recording was the nature of the poorly handled line of questioning. As I also said I think escalating their concern within DVC is a good idea.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping me think this over. The agent only said it was a required question for same sex couples and same sex marriage isn’t legal in all states. I corrected him but he wouldn’t give it up. I may contact customer service so others are not treated this way in the future.
I think that’s a great idea. I’m sorry for the distress this is causing.

I would go that route. I agree with kboo, where if I bought a property with my aunt and uncle, we obviously do not need to show proof of marriage. As long as Disney is getting your money, I don't see what else they would need to know every little detail.

Please let us know what comes of this. It is an interesting situation where it could actually be some minute detail on a legal contract that does actually need to be confirmed, or it could be that a subtle form of discrimination needs to be called out.

Maybe you can point that turd to the scotus decision US V. Windsor.
He shouldn't be asking you for any documentation because the marriage is legal in the entire country. He wouldn't ask a straight couple for that info and he shouldn't be asking you.
Escalate that mess.
(Sorry for vitriol. Too close to home for me ❤️ )

Maybe you can point that turd to the scotus decision US V. Windsor.
He shouldn't be asking you for any documentation because the marriage is legal in the entire country. He wouldn't ask a straight couple for that info and he shouldn't be asking you.
Escalate that mess.
(Sorry for vitriol. Too close to home for me ❤️ )

I agree that if there was anything improper done, he/she needs to be called out immediately. As well as being wrong, it gives Disney a bad name.
However, I would like to hear if there was actually some strange legitimate reason for needing this information before being sure this is how we should all react. It makes responding to something like this much more meaningful when we know something wrong was actually done instead of just assuming the worst, then having to back up when we realize it was just a misunderstanding.

I agree that if there was anything improper done, he/she needs to be called out immediately. As well as being wrong, it gives Disney a bad name.
However, I would like to hear if there was actually some strange legitimate reason for needing this information before being sure this is how we should all react. It makes responding to something like this much more meaningful when we know something wrong was actually done instead of just assuming the worst, then having to back up when we realize it was just a misunderstanding.
Normally I'd agree but if he's arguing the legality then it seems like something else is up.

He wouldn't waste his time asking the question if he didn't have to.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter