Same Sex Marriage?

cats7494

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but th
I live in Iowa where it is currently legal for same sex people to get married.

Little background...I am a Civil Rights Investigator and an advocate for rights of ALL people. I am Christian, married to a man, and have two daughters.

I get a LOT of flack from people I know who are also Christian who are upset with me for my belief that gays/lesbians should be allowed to get married.

I am very confused by the argument that same-sex marriage would destroy the institution or sanctity of marriage. So, what they are saying is that the marriage between two men or two women will undermine my marriage to my husband? I just don't get that. If my marriage is so weak that someone else's marriage would cause harm...then we already have some major issues!

No credible study has found that children are negatively impacted by being raised in a lesbian or gay household. Dr. Dr. Charlotte J. Patterson, Professor in the Department of Psychology wrote that “More than two decades of research has failed to reveal important differences in the adjustment or development of children or adolescents reared by same-sex couples compared to those reared by other-sex couples. Results of the research suggest that qualities of family relationships are more tightly linked with child outcomes than is parental sexual orientation.”

What are your thoughts? If you are against gay marriage...why?
If you support gay marriage...why?

I wouild lvoe to share my opinion, but I am afraid that this will go against the no politics rule. If a moderator posts that this discussion is allowed I will be happy to partake:thumbsup2

I live in New Hampshire and am proud to say that we as a state have recognized that we have more to worry about than who marries who. This fall my brother in law was able to marry. He and his partner have been together since 1986. I fail to see how their marriage impacts anyone other than themselves. And I was so happy to see them finally get married - they've come a long way from the couple who had to tell a department store photographer that they were brothers having a picture taken for their mother to get their first picture together taken!

I would love to participate as well. My partner Lisa and I are getting married in Washington DC, where it is also legal in March. We have given this a great deal of thought and prayer and now is the right time for us.

I will weigh in with my point of view if we get a moderator's approval to continue as this could get heated.

Linda

I also think it is kind of silly that allowing gays to marry will somehow destroy the sanctity of marriage or what ever. As you say, how does that have to do with your marriage or mine etc. Its not like gays get married, then all of a sudden the steps at the courthouse begin to shatter and suddenly the columns holding up city hall crumble, there's riots in the streets, there's disorder, violence, its all crumbling :lmao:

IMO marriage is kind of on the decline anyway. I saw some study about how marriage is getting much more rare than say 20-30-40 years ago or so. Lots of people are just living together and not bothering to get married. Plus the tax laws and stuff in some cases discourages marriage as well, so there are actually many incentives to not get married.

I live in Iowa where it is currently legal for same sex people to get married.

Little background...I am a Civil Rights Investigator and an advocate for rights of ALL people. I am Christian, married to a man, and have two daughters.

I get a LOT of flack from people I know who are also Christian who are upset with me for my belief that gays/lesbians should be allowed to get married.

I am very confused by the argument that same-sex marriage would destroy the institution or sanctity of marriage. So, what they are saying is that the marriage between two men or two women will undermine my marriage to my husband? I just don't get that. If my marriage is so weak that someone else's marriage would cause harm...then we already have some major issues!

No credible study has found that children are negatively impacted by being raised in a lesbian or gay household. Dr. Dr. Charlotte J. Patterson, Professor in the Department of Psychology wrote that “More than two decades of research has failed to reveal important differences in the adjustment or development of children or adolescents reared by same-sex couples compared to those reared by other-sex couples. Results of the research suggest that qualities of family relationships are more tightly linked with child outcomes than is parental sexual orientation.”

What are your thoughts? If you are against gay marriage...why?
If you support gay marriage...why?

I support gay marriage because to do otherwise seems bigoted and narrow-minded to me.

I apologize if the moderators decide this is political; however, I believe that decision would be narrow minded.

This is not a political issue - this is an equality issue.

I support gay marriage because it is no one else's business if two consenting adults choose to spend the rest of their lives together and they should be afforded the same rights as heterosexual couples who choose to do the same. I would also support a plural marriage if it, too, consisted of all consenting adults.

I don't see this thread lasting long.

That said - I can honestly say it's a topic where I have no opinion. I don't care if it's banned or allowed.

I apologize if the moderators decide this is political; however, I believe that decision would be narrow minded.

This is not a political issue - this is an equality issue

I agree with you on that (well, I generally say it is a civil rights issue)--but I am leery of others (moderators really)feeling differently and making waves. :flower3:

I guess I can safely say that when NH first allowed civil unions (before the move to full marraige) one of the very first, held at 12:01 a.m. on January 1st was in our living--two friends legally joined and many others there to celebrate, and that my best friend lives in New York so he cannot be legally married to his husband--but they are in their hearts and we all hope they will be in the eyes of the law as well some day.

What more could we want for people, than for them to be happy. This falls within that umbrella.

I support same-sex marriage because here in America people shouldn't have different rights because of who they are attracted to. I'm saddened the civil rights issues of the 60's are being re-lived again only with sexual orientation replacing race.

This is not a political issue - this is an equality issue.

I think you'll probably just get a lot of consenting opinions, rather than a discussion. I highly doubt people with opposing views will respond on this thread.

I'm still baffled that Iowa is more forward thinking than California. :lmao:

I believe everyone has the right to marry whomever they choose. It DOES NOT have a horse in the race of my marriage. And I agree, it is not political issue or even a religious issue.

I figure that all of the old fogies who are against same-sex marriage will die out and those of our younger generations will be raised in a better society. I've seen that already start to work with the civil rights issues of the 1950's and 60's. Only our grandparents' generation (in general) seem to have issues with it still.

I'm still baffled that Iowa is more forward thinking than California. :lmao:

I believe everyone has the right to marry whomever they choose. It DOES NOT have a horse in the race of my marriage. And I agree, it is not political issue or even a religious issue.

I figure that all of the old fogies who are against same-sex marriage will die out and those of our younger generations will be raised in a better society. I've seen that already start to work with the civil rights issues of the 1950's and 60's. Only our grandparents' generation (in general) seem to have issues with it still.

Hey! What are you trying to say? lol

I support gay marriage because to do otherwise seems bigoted and narrow-minded to me.

This. I actually have a zero tolerance policy for people who are anti-gay marriage. If someone is that bigoted and narrow minded because of someone's sexual orientation, I choose to not be friends with them.

Thankfully I live in a state where any two people who love each other can marry, and my gay friends are not treated like second rate citizens here.

Hey! What are you trying to say? lol

:rotfl2: Seriously. How is it that it passed there and not here? (Of course, people in CA really don't pay attention to laws, anyway. Smoke pot? You'll get a ticket for that here! Egads! ;)

And I loved Iowa when I visited. You have a gorgeous state.

I support same-sex marriage.

Alternatively, I support a religious organization's right to not perform a same-sex marriage if it goes against the beliefs of that religion.

That said, I do not think the federal, state, or local governments should discriminate against marriages performed by the state (which all are ultimately). Once you take religious belief out of the equation, it is discriminatory not to allow it.

Alternatively, I support a religious organization's right to not perform a same-sex marriage if it goes against the beliefs of that religion.

That said, I do not think the federal, state, or local governments should discriminate against marriages performed by the state (which all are ultimately). Once you take religious belief out of the equation, it is discriminatory not to allow it.

This. :thumbsup2

This for me too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!