San Diego suggestions

kandb

DIS Veteran
We will be in San Diego for 5-6 days. We are a family of 5. Dh, myself and 15, 15 and 10 year olds. We are not going to go to Disneyland because we go to WDW yearly and want to put our $$$ towards other attractions. What are some great things to do in San Diego area? Thanks for any help.

San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park

I actually like the Lawrence Welk resorts in Escondido for their shows.

Some things we enjoyed in addition to what's already been mentioned-
USS Midway
Torrey Pines State Reserve
Queen Califia's Magical Circle
Old Town
museums at Balboa Park
Del Mar Racetrack had family days with lots of free activities for kids on Saturdays the last time we were there. Our 9 y/o loved it, but our teen wasn't into it.

Some things we enjoyed in addition to what's already been mentioned-
USS Midway
Torrey Pines State Reserve
Queen Califia's Magical Circle
Old Town
museums at Balboa Park
Del Mar Racetrack had family days with lots of free activities for kids on Saturdays the last time we were there. Our 9 y/o loved it, but our teen wasn't into it.
pretty much sums it up...I will add that there are a lot of world class craft breweries in the area that are worth visiting if the adults in your party are into that sort of thing.

Thank you all for the suggestions. My husband was so happy to hear that Del Mar racetrack is close. He goes to Saratoga racetrack every year but is very much looking forward to seeing Del Mar. I am going to google, "Queen Califia's magic circle" because I couldn't guess what that might be in a million years! Lol

Old town trolley tours: https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego

La Jolla Cove/Caves and the Children's Pool (can watch seals and sea lions on the beach).

Stephen Birch Aquarium: https://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park.

If you want to drive about an hour, you can visit the mountain town of Julian. Most of the activities are only open on the weekends. The area is very busy during the weekends and totally dead on week days.

Legoland and the Museum of Making Music (next to each other).

How likely are you to see seals and/or sea lions at La Jolla cove? I will be there next week (April 2-6).

Old town trolley tours: https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego

La Jolla Cove/Caves and the Children's Pool (can watch seals and sea lions on the beach).

Stephen Birch Aquarium: https://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park.

If you want to drive about an hour, you can visit the mountain town of Julian. Most of the activities are only open on the weekends. The area is very busy during the weekends and totally dead on week days.

Legoland and the Museum of Making Music (next to each other).

How likely are you to see seals and/or sea lions at La Jolla cove? I will be there next week (April 2-6).

I'd say there's about a 99% chance that you will see some. One time when I was there, I was sitting with my daughter looking at a sea lion and not realizing that the rock a couple feet away from us was also a sea lion. Sea Lions at the Cove and seals down the street (easily walkable) at the children's pool.

We visit San Diego a few times each year and have a great time.
Sea World, plenty to do for a full day. Love the new night shows during summer months.
Midway aircraft carrier tour is incredible. Lots of walking up and down stairs but worth it.
San Diego Zoo or Safari park are both excellent. Zoo has more to see and do but Safari park is well worth a visit too.
Lions and Tigers and Bears is a animal sanctuary near Alpine, about 30 miles east of San Diego. Very good tour.
Old Town San Diego is a fun place to dine and shop. Ghost tours at night are fun.
Museums at Balboa park near the zoo has something that should interest everyone.
Whale watching tours can be found near Sea World that are good. I find the ones going out of Dana Point are better but thats a bit of a drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!