San Francisco and The Walt Disney Family Museum

rickenmartin78

Mouseketeer
DW and I will attend DLR for the first time this Summer! :hyper: We also are looking into a possible 4-day getaway in San Francisco this coming September. We are from the east coast and have never been to San Francisco before. We are interested in the "first timer" typical tourist things to do in SF, as well as the Walt Disney Family Museum, of course. :worship:

We are pretty laid back but conservative. We are looking for a somewhat romantic experience as well. :hug:

The two things I need help with are:

1. Where, o where to stay? Hotels are fine. We can't pay Disney prices on this one. I'll say our budget is between $150-$275/night for lodging.

and

2. The Walt Disney Family Museum. Please point me in the right direction if there's info here on the DIS about it. If not, then I'm gonna need some expert advice from those who've gone before!

As always, thank you so much! :hippie:

DW and I will attend DLR for the first time this Summer! :hyper: We also are looking into a possible 4-day getaway in San Francisco this coming September. We are from the east coast and have never been to San Francisco before. We are interested in the "first timer" typical tourist things to do in SF, as well as the Walt Disney Family Museum, of course. :worship: We are pretty laid back but conservative. We are looking for a somewhat romantic experience as well. :hug: The two things I need help with are: 1. Where, o where to stay? Hotels are fine. We can't pay Disney prices on this one. I'll say our budget is between $150-$275/night for lodging. and 2. The Walt Disney Family Museum. Please point me in the right direction if there's info here on the DIS about it. If not, then I'm gonna need some expert advice from those who've gone before! As always, thank you so much! :hippie:

How exciting! We love DLR (we live in Australia so it's easier to get there than WDW).

So, we try to stay at HoJo's because if my DH could figure out how to pack the bed in our suitcases he would! Last Oct, my DD and I stayed at Alpine Inn because I was on a very tight budget! It was clean and the staff was friendly.

When in San Fran, we try to stay at the Argonaut. AWESOME!!!

Now, for the Walt Disney Family museum... I should start by saying that DH is not the hyper Disney fan that DD and I are....so, when I suggested the museum for a half day, he sighed but agreed. We went and everyone LOVED it. And oh my goodness, we were there all day! There is so much to do and see! When we walked out DH said, 'Wow, now I get it.' Referring to DD and my love of Disney. We had a rental car to get there...a car is a good thing to have but there is public transport.

We usually do day trips to SF since we live so close. When we do make a weekend out of it, we like to stay at one of the Hilton's...especially the one at Fisherman's Wharf. It is also close to the Ghirardelli Square and North Beach (the Italian section of town). There is a restaurant there called the Stinking Rose that I recommend if you enjoy garlic.
Some other sites are Alcatraz (get your tickets online early), Coit Tower, Golden Gate Park, Union Square, Alamo Square, Lombard Street...great museums like the Academy of Sciences and the Museum of Modern Art.

The WDFM is beautiful. You can definitely spend a whole day there. There are so many things to see, so make sure you allow the time to soak it all in. Parking is relatively easy. I suggest getting there around opening. It would be a nice place to bring a little picnic too for lunch.

I have to follow this. We are also planning a trip to SF for our anniversary next year. The Disney museum is also at the top of my list of things to do along with Alcatraz. I have also been trying to figure out hotels and where and such.

Definitely plan for all day at the museum. It's GORGEOUS and so much to look at and take in. I could spend all day there and have been to the museum twice already. Make sure to bring some spending money because they have some awesome finds in their gift shop!

I live about 45 min away, so we never stay the night in SF. But there is so much to do! I think you will have a great time :goodvibes

How exciting! We love DLR (we live in Australia so it's easier to get there than WDW).

So, we try to stay at HoJo's because if my DH could figure out how to pack the bed in our suitcases he would! Last Oct, my DD and I stayed at Alpine Inn because I was on a very tight budget! It was clean and the staff was friendly.

When in San Fran, we try to stay at the Argonaut. AWESOME!!!

Now, for the Walt Disney Family museum... I should start by saying that DH is not the hyper Disney fan that DD and I are....so, when I suggested the museum for a half day, he sighed but agreed. We went and everyone LOVED it. And oh my goodness, we were there all day! There is so much to do and see! When we walked out DH said, 'Wow, now I get it.' Referring to DD and my love of Disney. We had a rental car to get there...a car is a good thing to have but there is public transport.

We usually do day trips to SF since we live so close. When we do make a weekend out of it, we like to stay at one of the Hilton's...especially the one at Fisherman's Wharf. It is also close to the Ghirardelli Square and North Beach (the Italian section of town). There is a restaurant there called the Stinking Rose that I recommend if you enjoy garlic.
Some other sites are Alcatraz (get your tickets online early), Coit Tower, Golden Gate Park, Union Square, Alamo Square, Lombard Street...great museums like the Academy of Sciences and the Museum of Modern Art.

The WDFM is beautiful. You can definitely spend a whole day there. There are so many things to see, so make sure you allow the time to soak it all in. Parking is relatively easy. I suggest getting there around opening. It would be a nice place to bring a little picnic too for lunch.

I have to follow this. We are also planning a trip to SF for our anniversary next year. The Disney museum is also at the top of my list of things to do along with Alcatraz. I have also been trying to figure out hotels and where and such.

Definitely plan for all day at the museum. It's GORGEOUS and so much to look at and take in. I could spend all day there and have been to the museum twice already. Make sure to bring some spending money because they have some awesome finds in their gift shop!

I live about 45 min away, so we never stay the night in SF. But there is so much to do! I think you will have a great time

Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I needed. But don't stop--keep 'em coming!

Everyone seems to be in agreement about spending all day at the museum. That's good to know--we were already planning for that. :thumbsup2

DW and I will attend DLR for the first time this Summer! :hyper: We also are looking into a possible 4-day getaway in San Francisco this coming September. We are from the east coast and have never been to San Francisco before. We are interested in the "first timer" typical tourist things to do in SF, as well as the Walt Disney Family Museum, of course. :worship:

We are pretty laid back but conservative. We are looking for a somewhat romantic experience as well. :hug:

The two things I need help with are:

1. Where, o where to stay? Hotels are fine. We can't pay Disney prices on this one. I'll say our budget is between $150-$275/night for lodging.

and

2. The Walt Disney Family Museum. Please point me in the right direction if there's info here on the DIS about it. If not, then I'm gonna need some expert advice from those who've gone before!

As always, thank you so much! :hippie:

My favorite city! :hippie:

We live outside the city and tend to visit several times a month, depending on our other plans (there is so very much to do in the Bay Area in general!).

As to where to stay, I can't recommend specific hotels as we never stay anywhere there. But for tourists, I would recommend either the Union Square area (my personal preference) or Fisherman's Wharf (definitely very touristy, although we often spend lots of time in that area due to having two young children who like Pier 39).

Big question- car or public transit? Car gives you more freedom, but parking can be stressful and expensive. If you are doing public transit, then I would map out what you want to see and plan your days by checking into the transit schedules and options.

There are of course all the typical tourist activities, such as Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf, and the Golden Gate Bridge.

We haven't been to the WD Museum yet as I am waiting for our youngest (DD2) to be older. Since we live here, there's no real rush for us. But I have heard many, many good things about it, so I am sure you will find more than enough to keep you busy for the day. The Museum itself is located in one of our very favorite areas of the city, The Presidio. I highly, HIGHLY recommend taking some time to explore The Presidio. Crissy Field and Fort Point, in particular, have some spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge and city. We love picknicking at Crissy Field and flying kites, but that will be challenging for you as a tourist. Still, definitely worth a wander down through. Off the Grid is located right across from the Museum and is open Sundays 11-4 if you visit on a Sunday. Otherwise, you might check out their schedule as they are all over the area and might be a good option for you to check out one of your other days. If you are Star Wars fans, Lucas Arts is also in the Presidio, and you can get a picture with the Yoda statue.

Another area we really like is Lands End. You can grab lunch at the historic Cliff House, check out the ruins of the Sutro Baths, then walk along the cliffs at Land's End. It's amazing that this place is within the boundaries of a large US city. There's a visitor center to check out there as well. It's breathtaking views. There is a memorial to the USS San Francisco along the way, too, made out of the damaged bridge wings of the ship. She was one of the most decorated ships of WWII and fought in the battle of Guadalcanal. Then there are the West Fort Miley Batteries. It's all very cool, historically, and a beautiful and peaceful walk.

Also down on that side, close to the Presidio, is the gorgeous Palace of Fine Arts (designed for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition). If you like taking pretty pictures, this is a great spot. It's a highly photographed spot, but I don't think as many tourists go since there isn't much to do, per se. If you do one of the double decker bus tours, I believe they stop here.

Golden Gate Park is another great place to visit with many options for things to do. The most popular being the California Academy of Sciences (really need a morning for this, but it's a great place), Conservatory of Flowers, Japanese Tea Garden (one of my favorites), and the deYoung Museum (if you aren't going to the museum, you can still pop in and take the elevator up to the observation tower for a free pretty view of the city). There are also many free things such as walking through the botanical gardens, visiting the Buffalos, seeing the Windmill, stopping by Koret children's park to slide down the concrete slides (sooo fun!).... there's endless things to do here. The park is right near the Haight neighborhood, so you can also walk around that area and grab dinner, or head down to the Beach Chalet for drinks and an ocean view (right out over Sunset Beach).

If you are up early because of time zone changes, then Twin Peaks is a lovely place to try to catch the sunrise. You have the best chance here of anywhere in the city. Otherwise, it's a nice, quick stop for the view.

One of our favorite touristy things to do with visitors is take them on the boat ride out to the Golden Gate Bridge. You can purchase tickets right at Pier 39. It's through the Blue and Gold Fleet. The talk they give on the ride is really an wonderful overview of the city's rich history.

Down along the Embacadero, our favorite place to eat is the Ferry Building. SO much good, local food! We snack our way through, but we always get some empanadas from the little stand near one of the entrances. If you visit Alcatraz, I highly recommend walking up here for lunch because it is far better than the options right near where they have you board.

Walking tours of the city are my favorite. So much of San Francisco's beauty is in the details of the neighborhoods, such as the steep streets with stairways built into the sidewalks or the gardens you can peek into. I would browse through San Francisco Walking Tours to find a free (!) tour that appeals to you, and if you don't want to do it as a group, then map it out to do on your own. San Francisco is really a walking city.

I could share so much more, but I'm sure others will have some great tips as well. Have fun!!! September is one of our most beautiful months, but I cannot stress enough that visitors should bring warm clothes and plan to dress in layers. It can be downright cold during our foggy mornings and then change to quite hot by our sunny afternoons and then get cold again when the fog rolls back in for the evening. Also, temperatures change across the city, so while it may be warm and pleasant by the Ferry Building, it will be cool and foggy by Sunset Beach.

My fiance and I went to the WDFM the last time we were in SF. It's a great museum and there's so much to see! Be sure to search online for ticket discounts. When my fiance and I went, we used a coupon for $3 off admission, although I can't remember if it was per person or per party. I think AAA may have a discount offer as well. There are buses that go up to the Presidio if you don't want to drive, or you could take a taxi. I recommend going to the museum early so that you can spend the rest of the day exploring the Presidio using the free PresidiGO shuttles. There are two shuttles that allow you to see the Presidio in completely different ways using different routes, and you can get off at any stop you wish so that you can walk around and explore at your leisure. Then, just hop back on the shuttle when it comes by again!

As far as other things to do in SF, I agree with what previous posters have said, and I would also add Pier 39 to the list. There's a great view of the bay and Alcatraz from the pier and a few great, affordable places to eat in the area (Hollywood Cafe for breakfast and Hot Spud for lunch/dinner). My fiance and I live fairly close to SF, but every once in a while we like to stay in a hotel for a few nights since we don't go to SF very often. We stay at Best Western Tuscan Inn because it's located very close to Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, and the cable cars. There's also easy access to Union Square by bus from that area. The hotel is cute, clean, and has a romantic feel to it. There's also a complimentary wine tasting in the evening.

I feel fortunate to live so close to SF because it's truly one of my favorite cities to visit. Every time I go, I see and experience something different. You and your wife will have a great time! :goodvibes

Oh, I completely forgot to mention that if you want to go on one of the many tours offered in SF, I highly recommend the Ride the Ducks tour. It's a bit cheesy, but it's the only tour that takes you on land and water. It's very unique and it's fun! If you're interested, there are various places to purchase tickets, but I know for sure you can buy them near Pier 39. Look for discounts for that as well since it is a bit pricey.

You should think about reading this trip report by podsnel
titled "California Dreamin'-A 14 Day Odyssey to San Fran,Yosemite & DL!"

Its packed with great ideas on excursions/restaurants and more.... just the San Fransisco section of it alone is packed full of good tips:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3171488

It had me wishing and now planning for a trip to San Fransisco for our family as well!!!

The Disney Family Museum is definitely on our list for when we go there!

Hi! :wave2:

I'm born and raised in San Francisco and have spent the majority of my living here. I LOVE the advice given by tiffjoy. It is very authentic and the majority of it is where I would take visitors around myself and even what I would do myself on a free day :) Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf are worth seeing, but they are incredibly touristy. Lands End is my favorite place in the city, my husband proposed on Twin Peaks, and many of our weekends are now spent in Golden Gate Park :) San Francisco has an amazing amount of nature for a city, so please take advantage of that! If you have time to get out of the city, I recommend Muir Woods across the Golden Gate Bridge to see some Redwoods.

The Ferry Building and AT&T park are my favorite parts of the Embarcadero and you can rent a bike to ride all along there.

As for hotels, my husband and I often use priceline or hotwire to get a 4 star in the Union Square or Embarcadero area. Even though we live here, it is a nice escape and we typically can get a great hotel for a non-SF price! Speaking of Union Square, it is good for normal downtown shopping, but not really anything unique.

The best restaurants are in the Mission (especially on Valencia) though you will find them throughout downtown as well. I use this list when looking for somewhere new:
http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=78&m=4

Have fun! September is one of our best months, so good choice :)

Wow! You guys have got me saying "ooh ooh--I want to do that--and that!--and that!" Phew. I haven't even searched that trip report yet. This is so much fun! Thanks again!

PS--new question. Aside from the normal SF tourist spots, what are your favorite hidden gems that most people don't take the time to do when touring for the first time? Some of you have already thrown some things in. But I want more! :)

If you want a more "authentic" Bay Area experience, I might suggest that you check out staying in one of the towns connected by ferry to San Francisco.....either Sausalito or Tiburon. Both have great ferry service to either the ferry terminal (at the base of Market Street, where you can connect to SF public transportation) or Fisherman's Wharf. Hotels, for the level of room, will be cheaper there, and you'll get to stay right on the Bay. I love both of those towns (lived in Tiburon for many years). You will have amazing views of the City and convenient access. Tiburon hotels: Water's Edge and Tiburon Lodge....both short walking distance from the ferry terminal. Sausalito hotels: Casa Madrona, the Inn above Tide, and Hotel Sausalito.

I'd also suggest, if you will have a car, a day trip to Muir Woods. This is one of the "only in SF" experiences. The trees are beyond description and can only be appreciated when seen (pictures all fail to capture them, I think). It is located in Marin County, a short drive over the Golden Gate Bridge.

Tip: Save on ferry rides on the Golden Gate Ferry (NOT the Blue/Gold) by getting a Clipper card, and using that...it's a reloadable card, but fares are 1/2 normal fare.

We visit The City at least 3-5 times a year, and would suggest to rent a car just the days you will need it. Parking at the downtown hotels runs aroung $50/night.

We use BART whether we fly into SFO or OAK. OAK sometimes has better rates than SFO, and distance wise is closer to downtown than SFO is.

Public transportation runs very well, and your best bet is a 3 day Muni pass which allows unlimited rides on cable cars, F-line trolley, buses, and Muni subway.

Union Square is an ok area to stay in, but we prefer the Financial District/Embarcadero. Less hectic, and always easy to hop the California Street cable car and make a snack stop at Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

I live in the Bay Area and worked in the City for the last 15 fifteen years. We have also done "tourist at home" stays in SF with the kids.

Don't miss the Ferry Building my absolute favorite thing.

For something that has not been discussed yet, take the stairs up to Coit tower. A cool way to see the area and get a quick workout.

Hotels, I agree with the financial district recommendation - several really nice hotels, close to Ferry Building and great restaurants, less hectic in evening and weekends. For Union Square I have stayed at the Westin St Francis many times and like it (recommend the tower vs the historic rooms). Prices vary widely based on how crowded the City is with events. The JW Marriott is another nice Union Square choice.

If you are a baseball fan, take the ballpark tour.

I agree that you could spend a day at WDFM, but if you have less time in your schedule it is also very doable to do it in less time. We have a membership so we feel that we can always go back, but both times have spent about 2 to 2.5 hours there.

Hilary

I live near sf and went to the museum when it first opened. It's awesome, know that your gonna need to drive or taxi there as it's pretty far into the presidio. As far as hotels there are lots of nice options to many to list. Argonaut is nice, but there is also Marriott sand Hilton's that are good. I would recommend going and getting a view on the water by embarcadero or some place near there. Have fun!

Aside from the normal SF tourist spots, what are your favorite hidden gems that most people don't take the time to do when touring for the first time? Some of you have already thrown some things in. But I want more! :)

1. The view of the city lights from the top of Twin Peaks at night. Basically, you want to be at this small parking lot after dark.

2. The views from just across the Golden Gate Bridge. Check out this post. While many people find the scenic overlook in the first picture, very few know how to get to the old WWII bunker in the 2nd picture. For directions, see my post #7 in that same thread.

Have fun!
Bob

Before most of our trips to San Francisco, I always read the first half of Kerouac's "On the Road" to get in tune with the Beat phenomenon of the 50's and 60's. Then run around North Beach and check out City Lights Bookstore and the Beat Museum. Caffe Trieste is a notable Beat hangout from the 50's and I'm pretty sure there is still a lot of philosophizing going on there all the time.

Our favorite restaurants are Tadich Grill (oldest restaurant in the city) in the Financial District, Sotto Mare in North Beach, Swan Oyster Depot near California and Van Ness. Near Swan is Bob's Donuts, open 24 hours, with some of the best donuts and not to be missed apple fritters. Sears Fine Foods near Union Square is great for Breakfast, but get there somewhat early or you'll have to line up. The 18 silver dollar Swedish pancakes with a side of bacon are a great way to start the day.

Would you consider staying at a bed and breakfast? You can find some lovely, romantic places in that price range.
We went last year as a family. We rented a condo at Fisherman's Wharf (about $50 more a night than a family "suite" at Holiday Inn) Other than Alctraz and Disney museum, we went where the day would take us. Chinatown was fun as well as Japan town. We went to Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry building, Lombard Street and road a cable car. Do those things EARLY! Crowds are crazy by noon. We would catch the cable car about 8 am and by 9 there were lines at most stops.
If we didn't have the kids, we would have done a wine tour. You can hire a driver to take you to Sonoma and visit the different vineyards.
When you go to the Disney Family Museum , be sure and stop by Lucasfilm headquarters (open during business hours). There is a Yoda fountain out front and you can go into the lobby and look around at some costumes and props!
I love San Francisco. So beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter