San Francisco Zoo

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
Has anyone been to this zoo? I was just looking at the website and see they have quite a selection of animals including koala bears, meerkats and penguins which are 3 of my faves. :)

I've looked on the map and see that the zoo is outside the city. We are staying at Fisherman's Wharf, does anyone know how long it would take to get to the zoo from there? We are not driving, so it would be by taxi or similar transport.

Thanks for any help with this. :thumbsup2

The zoo is in San Francisco. It's at the end of Sloat Blvd on The Great Highway. We really love the zoo and have been members for years. The zoo has been undergoing a complete redo for almost a decade, and while it still has a long way to go, the areas that are finished are incredible! I have heard people complain about this - there are areas that seem somewhat deserted and some of the old enclosures are empty. Please don't think I'm warning you away, I really think you will love it, I just want you to be prepared for "the work in progress" it is! The penguins are wonderful!! If you go and the koalas are out make sure and check back around 4:30. It's hysterical to watch the zookeepers trying to get them out of the trees!! My DD and I always have a good laugh!
To answer you question about travel time - it all depends on what time of day you are going! The zoo is open 10-5 so getting there should take about 20 minutes. Getting back to the Wharf at 5 will take a lot longer. I'd recommend walking up the Great Highway to The Beach Chalet or The Cliff House (this will be a bit of a hike) for an early dinner to bypass the commute traffic. There are also some places right across the street, but the BC of CH have wonderful views!
Let me know if you want anymore info! (And when are you planning to be out here?)

Hi Amy, thanks so much for the info. I can understand what you mean about a 'work in progress' as our local zoo looks fantastic now, and it's taken about 10 years for it to make it to that stage. I have made a note re the koalas! ;) We will be visiting San Francisco in August 2007, so another year to wait, but it's good I have so long to plan as there is no much to see and do on the West Coast it's a challenge to decide on what to see and what to leave out. ;)

We will be getting to the zoo for opening time so hopefully the traffic won't be too bad, if I get the flight dates I'm planning on (I can't book until September) we will be in San Francisco Mon-Wednesday during the second week of August, is there any particular day which would be best to go to the zoo, regarding traffic, or are they much the same mid-week? Also, do you know of a reliable taxi service?

Can you please give me more information on the Beach Chalet and Cliff House, we are all for fanastic views, so they sound just our cup of tea! :thumbsup2

The big cats (lions & tigers) aren't fed on Mondays, so I would probably suggest one of the other days. Taxis are all regulated, so I think they are all pretty much the same. Ask your hotel front desk for help getting a taxi. You can also take a cable car from Fisherman's Wharf to Powell Street and transfer to the L Taraval Muni train which will take you to 46th & Wawona. It's only about 2 (flat) blocks to walk to the zoo. The Beach Chalet is 2.5 miles from the Zoo and the Cliff House is 3 miles. Both are on The Great Highway which is a relatively flat walk and is a wonderful way to see the Pacific Ocean. The outside of Cliff House can be seen in The Princess Diaries, but the Museum Mechanique that is shown has moved to Pier 45.
Here's links the The Beach Chalet & Cliff House websites.
http://www.beachchalet.com/
http://www.cliffhouse.com/index.htm
Let me know if you need any more info or have any questions.

Amy, thanks so much for all the info, I have taken it all on board. Both the Cliff House and the Beach Chalet look really great, so I'm sure we will fit one of them into our itinerary.

I have heard that the weather in August can be quite foggy, is that right? I guess we will have to bring some warmer clothes for San Francisco, then throw off the layers when we visit LA! ;)

thanks again for all the info, it's really appreciated. :thumb:

On a recent visit to S.F., we took a bus to the zoo. The bus took us within a block or two of the entrance.

We met some friends who live near S.F. and have annual passes. Their young son loves riding on the miniature train.

It was definitely worth a visit.

Woody

Mazzy said:
I have heard that the weather in August can be quite foggy, is that right? I guess we will have to bring some warmer clothes for San Francisco, then throw off the layers when we visit LA! ;)

thanks again for all the info, it's really appreciated. :thumb:

I would definitely recommend layers, you really never know what the weather will be like at the zoo! (We went about a month ago and it was sunny in Berkeley and cold and foggy at the zoo!) That said, mid August is actually one of the best times to visit. There is a very good chance you will have wonderful weather. If you remember to pack layers you will be fine. A good wind breaker jacket is worth it's weight in gold out here!

Woody - glad to hear you enjoyed the zoo! :thumb:

Amy - hope you are right and we get good weather, but I don't mind if it's a bit chilly and foggy, I think we will still enjoy ourselves, and will definitely be bringing jackets with us - thanks for the tip! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!