San Juan Cruises

jessicaknarr

Mouseketeer
I am booked on a cruise out of San Juan in January.... Any thoughts on what Disney will do with these cruises. They are not expecting power back to the island in months.... Wondering if I should cancel prior to my PIF date??? Flights already booked but through Southwest :D so at least I can change that for maybe a future vacation..

I am booked on a cruise out of San Juan in January.... Any thoughts on what Disney will do with these cruises. They are not expecting power back to the island in months.... Wondering if I should cancel prior to my PIF date??? Flights already booked but through Southwest :D so at least I can change that for maybe a future vacation..
Such decisions about port changes are generally made closer to actual cruise date. It's your call if you want to cancel now. Or wait and see what changes there are.

I personally would wait. I would imagine that the first place to get full power will be San Juan, to try to keep the tourism dollars coming.

I personally would wait. I would imagine that the first place to get full power will be San Juan, to try to keep the tourism dollars coming.

Yeah that's kinda what I thought! Plus if I pay in full and they can't cruise out of there then Disney will cancel and I will get a full refund... That is if the airport is also open for flight in.

I'm cruising out of San Juan in February. I plan to just hang tight for now and wait to see. We were supposed to go to St Thomas too and I'm not sure if that's still happening or not.

Yeah that's kinda what I thought! Plus if I pay in full and they can't cruise out of there then Disney will cancel and I will get a full refund... That is if the airport is also open for flight in.

If DCL cancels the cruise, you will receive a full refund from DCL. That's regardless of the airport situation. Unless you purchased your flights through DCL as well, you'll need to settle that issue either with the airline directly or through travel insurance.

Enjoy your cruise!

San Juan's challenge is that their power grid is out of date and under maintained to start with. It really depends on what kind of aid they get from the mainland, with the aside that they are part of the US (much as the USVI are!) and should be getting attention. That said, disaster relief funding won't fix the underlying issue.

Time has a good piece on the power issues: http://time.com/4951048/puerto-rico-blackout-hurricane-maria-what-to-know/

We're on the 12/1 SJ to Miami sailing....we can't change our vacation plans due to work, so we're not backing out. If DCL cancels the cruise then we'll figure it out when the time comes. There are several people on our cruise currently in SJ. Some reports have been that they're okay and others have been not so good.

We're on the 12/1 SJ to Miami sailing....we can't change our vacation plans due to work, so we're not backing out. If DCL cancels the cruise then we'll figure it out when the time comes. There are several people on our cruise currently in SJ. Some reports have been that they're okay and others have been not so good.

Ohhh no sorry to hear about the people stuck there......Hope you get to cruise out on 12/1!

RCCL has a cruise scheduled to sail this Saturday that they only pushed back to Wednesday.
Due to the uncertainty of the timing of the port re-opening in San Juan, we anticipate our new departure date will be Wednesday, September 27, sailing a 3-night itinerary to Antigua and St. Kitts.

We know these changes are disappointing, and we are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 60% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year.

If you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment, and you will have the ability to book excursions in our new ports of call once onboard.
Maybe they are overly optimistic, maybe they are just hoping most people will cancel for future cruise credit instead of a cash refund, but their actions seem to say they think the port will be open within a week.

HMMMM wonder where it would leave out of then??? If not leaving from San Juan.......

There are 2 different kinds of cruises using San juan for home port.
The January cruises on the Wonder are round trip out of San Juan. The southern Caribbean port stops in the itineraries are the challenge if they need to move the ship to a different home port.

The Magic's 12/1 San juan to Miami presents a different complication. It is using san juan as an end point to sail with (2 different sets of) passengers as the ship repositions from New York on 11/26 to Miami on 12/6 without violating psva.

My wild guess is that if San juan is not ready as a tourist destination (pre/post-cruise hotels as well as airport), DCL will have to cancel both cruises and reposition without passengers.

RCCL has a cruise scheduled to sail this Saturday that they only pushed back to Wednesday.

Maybe they are overly optimistic, maybe they are just hoping most people will cancel for future cruise credit instead of a cash refund, but their actions seem to say they think the port will be open within a week.

WOW!!! Very optimistic......

There are 2 different kinds of cruises using San juan for home port.
The January cruises on the Wonder are round trip out of San Juan. The southern Caribbean port stops in the itineraries are the challenge if they need to move the ship to a different home port.

The Magic's 12/1 San juan to Miami presents a different complication. It is using san juan as an end point to sail with (2 different sets of) passengers as the ship repositions from New York on 11/26 to Miami on 12/6 without violating psva.

My wild guess is that if San juan is not ready as a tourist destination (pre/post-cruise hotels as well as airport), DCL will have to cancel both cruises and reposition without passengers.

We are booked on the repo from NYC. I am also thinking that Disney might sail to Miami without passengers to reposition the ship. However I don't think we will know for awhile. They seem to be making decisions a couple of weeks at a time. I hope if they cancel the cruise we get a refund not a future cruise credit. I guess I will just lose the flight home from San Juan unless JetBlue is kind and gives a credit due to the situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter