Sanaa for non-adventurous eaters?

kcchief

Mouseketeer
Considering trying Sanaa on our upcoming trip. We are not very adventurous eaters. Are we going to be ok eating here? Just wanted to try some new places. Any and all opinions and comments on Sanaa are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

I told the server that I didn't want anything spicy, either hot or highly flavored and he recommended the lamb shank. It was incredible. That was in 2013, so the menu has probably changed. I also hate tomato soup, but theirs was delicious! I say, chat with the server before ordering.

Considering trying Sanaa on our upcoming trip. We are not very adventurous eaters. Are we going to be ok eating here? Just wanted to try some new places. Any and all opinions and comments on Sanaa are greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
What makes Sanaa 'exotic' is the seasonings.

Do you and your family enjoy chili, which is often seasoned with cumin? If so, the food at Sanaa is not really any more seasoned than a pot of chili. Folks who eat cumin and/or cilantro should be able to try items seasoned with curry. Pesto would likely fall into the same scenario - if you eat this, then trying Sanaa is not a big stretch.

Disney does not really make traditionally-spicy food as spicy as some might like, but the seasonings are otherwise going to be the 'exotic' mixture that makes curry, well, curry.

Yes, the foods are cooked differently, but chicken is chicken and shrimp are shrimp, etc.

Then I'd also be asking - are you going out of your way to dine here? If so, then maybe it's not for your family. But if you're OK with the travel to AKLodge, which, in my opinion, is the best-themed resort at Disney, then go for it. But if you're still concerned about the food - maybe just visit the Resort and have an appetizer or two at the lounge.

Or, as a previous post points out, start with some of the more mildly flavored items....and then see if you can add to your meal by getting a bit more exotic for your palate.

For lunch, still a good idea because of the atmosphere and animals outside. Dinner less obvious for non-adventuresome eaters.

Bread service (as PP said) is a must, even for the less adventuresome. And there’s a burger that is excellent for anyone who likes a great burger. There are plenty of choices. Having said all of that, there are so many great choices at WDW, of you have other options maybe skip Sanaa for something you know you’ll like.

I think lunch is more accessible. The burger and open-faced tandoori sandwiches are very good and not spicy/different. Any sauces can be ordered on the side. I'll add my +1 to the many recommendations for the bread service.

IMHO it is not spicy at all. But we have never found the food at WDW to be very spicy. Spicy hot - never. Spicy taste - a bit.

I'm not a very adventurous eater and I loved Sanaa! We had lunch here a few months ago. I thought for sure I wouldn't but the bread service is outstanding and I really enjoyed the Tandoori Chicken and Kenya Coffee barbeque sandwich. I can't wait to do it again!

I found their butter chicken was too spicy for my taste, but I liked the bread service and the cheese entree (palak paneer).

I found their butter chicken was too spicy for my taste, but I liked the bread service and the cheese entree (palak paneer).

The BUTTER chicken? Spicy Durban Shrimp had a slight heat but the butter chicken wasn't spicy at all. Well, if one is very sensitive to chili powder I suppose it may be. My mother might think so, too. :laughing:

It was to me.

I'm not making fun. My mom reacts to the most minute amount of heat. I just meant that one would have to have that sensitivity to feel it was "too much" because Sanaa really lowers that factor in their food vs when I've had the dishes at home. Spicy is definitely relative.

Since the original question pertains to non-adventurous eaters, I think they may find the butter chicken to be overly spicy. Obviously taste is individual and they won't know for sure until/unless they try it.

I am not adventurous and I loved the butter chicken. Not a dern thing spicy (hot) about it but deliciously flavored. The bread service was meh for us as I didn't care for most of the dipping sauces. Dh got the breivleidt (sp?) and it was also delicious. I detest curry and I found plenty to eat. I find most curry tastes like a bottle of perfume or like a bowl of boiled dirt.

As the saying goes, there is no accounting for taste. I tried the butter chicken because I'd read other comments on these boards that it was good for non-adventurous eaters, but I ended up not liking it at all. There are other foods at other restaurants that I've tried because they were recommended on these boards, and really enjoyed (such as the seasonal Boursin burger at Sci Fi). What it comes down to is that you can read lots of different opinions from lots of people, but as to whether you will like something, you really won't know until you try it.

DD15 is the most boring eater in the world. On our cruise last summer, all she ate was baked potatoes. She loves Sanaa! She typically just gets the bread service, but she likes their kids' pizza, too. She also really enjoys their desserts.
DH liked their steak. I really liked their Butter Chicken. I wasn't a big fan of their BBQ sandwich, though, too sweet. I would like to try different things, but I'm nervous that I won't like it and leave hungry.

Has your family had Indian food before? Most of the menu is Indian cuisine or involves traditional Indian spices. I could eat Indian everyday, and make it at home a lot, so I like their food but I know some people do not.

Like all Disney restaurants, you can get similar food back home at a fraction of the price so it may be worth ordering butter chicken from your local Indian restaurant to just try beforehand. If you've never had Indian flavors before, it would at least give you an idea as to how your family responds.

If you're picky, get the steak! The seasoning is quite mild. I got the steak because I hate cilantro and had to avoid it.

It's not "spicy" it's a selection of spices that are different. I couldn't eat curry or Indian food everyday, but I love Sanaa. I suggest getting a few different things so you can share, exchange with each other etc. Even if not your favorite, comfort food, it is a dining experience.

If still timid, how about Jiko? Some items are exotic, most are basic. Similar location.

Just do it!

I have it booked for our trip next month and my husband is much like you describe yourselves to be. Heck, I know I just saw a steak on the menu when I was looking yesterday. I'm pretty sure you can find something there to like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter