Sanaa just for bread service?

As someone who has access to tons of Indian restaurants (indeed, my neighborhood is probably 25 percent Indian), Sanaa can't be compared to the a typical U.S. Indian place. First off it's more of an African version of Indian cuisine, much like most how most U.S. ethic restaurants offer their own variations on that country's food. That alone makes Sanaa somewhat unique in the U.S.

Second, Sanaa's service and ambiance soars over virtually any Indian restaurant you're likely to encounter in the U.S. From a food-only perspective, I've had better (though not often), but as a whole dining experience, Sanaa truly soars. Especially with reasonable-for-Disney prices.

Just going for bread service is certainly not prohibited, but you should at least try some other offerings, such as a salad sampler (also good to eat with the bread service and accompaniments). Finally, their desserts are also quite good, which REALLY sets them apart from a typical Indian restaurant.

The bread service IS good and I always order it (even when dining solo), but it may not warrant making a special visit for that alone. Try some other things from the appetizer menu if you don't want to commit to ordering entrees.

Sanaa is one of the few WDW restaurants that I wish I could transport to my city and would happily still pay their prices...even if it meant sacrificing a savannah view of giraffes for a strip mall parking lot view. I can count on one hand the number of WDW restaurants that I would put into regular rotation if they were on my home turf (blessed to live in a great dining area).

Just curious , I too like Sanaa but the bread service is really that special? Don’t most people have an Indian restaurant near them ?

It looks like you are from Central NJ. There might be more Indian restaurants in Central Jersey than there are in India! Not everyone has the access to the dining options we have in NJ.

I've done it. You are the paying guest. You get to order whatever you want.

It does not entitle you to be inconsiderate to your server. This is their livelihood and Tiffin's is usually fully booked, not a local place with empty tables and happy to have someone at the table. Other guests, who could not get an ADR there would have loved to have a table. I would be sure to tip well and order apps, drinks and dessert. Soup is a fine app.

It does not entitle you to be inconsiderate to your server. This is their livelihood and Tiffin's is usually fully booked, not a local place with empty tables and happy to have someone at the table. Other guests, who could not get an ADR there would have loved to have a table. I would be sure to tip well and order apps, drinks and dessert. Soup is a fine app.
Sorry, ordering a bread service is not being inconsiderate. And by the way, this is not discussing Tiffins. Read the subject of the thread.

That is way way way too much food.

I typically order an appetizer (as my main) and a drink

I tip on the bill as it is
And this is not inconsiderate :)

Nothing wrong with ordering only bread service.

We’ve gone to Kona Cafe and just ordered dessert. My family loves the Kilaeua torte but not their dinner options. So last trip we went at 8, ordered 4 of them plus coffee and tea. The waiter happily served us and we tipped our normal percent. So I think its fine to do that at Sanaa too.

Exactly.
The idea from PP that someone should order a minimum amount when dining out is ludicrous. At Disney or anywhere.

Is it offensive or inconsiderate to make a Sanaa reservation just for bread service and bowls of soup for our family?

Sorry, ordering a bread service is not being inconsiderate. And by the way, this is not discussing Tiffins. Read the subject of the thread.

Love the bread at Tiffin's my mistake. If the OP was not concerned they would not have specifically asked the question.

I'll answer again, it is not offensive but it is inconsiderate to the server to take a dinner rush table without adequate compensation.

Was a seating at "dinner rush" ever brought up by OP?
The OP asked and there's a clear majority on what the answer is
Anyone who dines without meeting some arbitrary minimum purchase (and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone bring up such a concept in all my 55 years) is in no way being inconsiderate

I actually specifically said we'd dine at an 'off-time.' I have no intention of booking at peak lunch or dinner hours. Likely a late lunch.

I appreciate all the input. I've realized that I would NEVER ask such a question if I were dining ANYWHERE ELSE in the world. It's just my Canadian side showing and the fact that we book these things so far in advance. We'll go and enjoy ourselves :)

It is your table so you can do as you please, though from a server perspective you certainly wouldn't be their most lucrative table. I'd suggest eating quickly and not lingering or perhaps just trying the bread service from their lounge.

On thing you might consider upping your tip, so that the server is taken care of regardless of what you order, but as said above just don't linger forever and it's all good.

What about eating in the lounge? There are some tables and lots of people seem to just order appetizers there.

i think it’s totally okay. weve done it before. sometimes we add an appie, sometimes we have a drink or two. but sometimes we just get the bread service.

in all these cases, we tip more. when we order just the bread service, we tip somewhere around 50%+. it’s not a rule, but its what i think is appropriate.

Last time I was there, families seemed to be eating off the regular menu in the lounge so I'm assuming soup would be fine. I also would not hesitate to reserve a table, if you're more comfortable with that, and just tip well. We did nearly the same thing at LeCellier last week; ordered poutine and soup only, tipped well, and were in and out of the restaurant in less than 45 minutes so our waiter could flip the table quickly.

We love Sanaa and try to go every trip. All DD16 likes is the bread service and dessert. She doesn’t eat all the bread, so there is a bit for me. I don’t want to stuff myself, and honestly I really want to save room for dessert when we’re there, so I’ll typically order the kids butter chicken. Usually it’s not a problem at all, and I’ve never had an issue with the server seeming bothered by it, until our last visit. When we placed our order, our server was instantly, different. She went from happy and bubbly to irritated and rushed. Instantly. I told her right away “I want to leave room for dessert, too” and that did seem to perk her up a little.

Thanks, all! I think we’ll try it and maybe book an off hours reservation.

Absolutely fine to just do bread service and soup. We do it every time for lunch. Between the bread service, the soup (or sometimes a salad), and a couple of glasses of wine, it's a stunning simple but delicious meal that is, for Disney, a relative bargain. We tip our server nicely, too. Have fun!

Was a seating at "dinner rush" ever brought up by OP?
The OP asked and there's a clear majority on what the answer is
Anyone who dines without meeting some arbitrary minimum purchase (and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone bring up such a concept in all my 55 years) is in no way being inconsiderate

Yes timing was brought up and everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter. As long as the server is taken care of there are no issues others have suggested the lounge. I think that is the clear majority.

Definitely fine, you can order as much or as little as you like. I do agree with the suggestion of upping the tip a bit so the server is not losing out from what could have otherwise been a higher bill table. That of course assumes they don't compromise on their service once they find out what you're ordering. If that happened to me, they'd get even less tip.

I actually specifically said we'd dine at an 'off-time.' I have no intention of booking at peak lunch or dinner hours. Likely a late lunch.[/QUOT

Thank you for your consideration.

People do behave differently in WDW then elsewhere. They spend a lot of money to be there and, since they most likely will never see there server again, are often less than ideal guests. The entitled mindset can really set in. I watched a man scream at the concierge that he had the dining plan and could eat anywhere he choose without ADR's.

(Using round numbers because I am old)
Bread service - 17.00 (because trust me, you want all 9 accompaniments)
Soup - 9 (times 3 kids is 27)
Drinks - 3 (times 5 is 15)
Total before tax - 17+27+15=59
Add on the tax you get about 63
I would look at that total and tip around 15 bucks.

If you are there one hour (and that's probably about average because nothing you are ordering has to be "cooked" right then) your server probably retains about 75% of that after tipping out the bus and kitchen staff, so about 11 bucks. If the server has around 4 tables (sounds about right to me, I could be wrong) then that person should be earning somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 bucks an hour after tip-out, and that's assuming each table was eating off the "cheap" end of the menu.
Reading people here with giving hearts makes me happy, and I'm glad they exist, but you should know if you go with a standard tip on your planned meal, you have nothing to apologize for.

All in my opinion, of course.
And no, I didn't mention tax because servers paying taxes on tips is a whole different discussion. :-)

(Using round numbers because I am old)
Bread service - 17.00 (because trust me, you want all 9 accompaniments)
Soup - 9 (times 3 kids is 27)
Drinks - 3 (times 5 is 15)
Total before tax - 17+27+15=59
Add on the tax you get about 63
I would look at that total and tip around 15 bucks.

If you are there one hour (and that's probably about average because nothing you are ordering has to be "cooked" right then) your server probably retains about 75% of that after tipping out the bus and kitchen staff, so about 11 bucks. If the server has around 4 tables (sounds about right to me, I could be wrong) then that person should be earning somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 bucks an hour after tip-out, and that's assuming each table was eating off the "cheap" end of the menu.
Reading people here with giving hearts makes me happy, and I'm glad they exist, but you should know if you go with a standard tip on your planned meal, you have nothing to apologize for.

All in my opinion, of course.
And no, I didn't mention tax because servers paying taxes on tips is a whole different discussion. :-)

That sounds good. Better than "You are a paying guest and can do what you like with no consideration for others" so much bad behavior can be attributed to that mind set.

The OP was gracious enough to ask the question so I imagine they are people with giving hearts in your words.

I know this is OT, but that's the best response ever, to any question.

Now I'm putting bread service at Sanaa on my list for my next trip. Although I think I'll be eating so much I won't get any actual parks in...
Thank you! Your response put a smile on my face. That was my actual response at home. pirate: As for parks, I've always assumed they were optional but dining was mandatory. Did I miss something? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!