Sandals Vs. Sneakers...

Sneakers or Sandals for 5 day park visit

• Total voters

UpstateDisney

Earning My Ears
Hello All!

New member looking forward to our big Disney trip in late September/early October. This site has been extremely helpful and has answered so may questions! So I first want to thank all who have posted and answered.

I have not seen this anywhere, and I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I was wondering if people could chime in.

I am in my mid 40s, not overly active, but mot too heavy. A person who spends most days and weekends at a desk far more than he would like :( I know Disney will be a workout - and we have 5 day park days planned!! My question is it better to go with good sneakers and socks for the extra support? Or, because of rain and ability to breathe, go for an open sandal? For Sandals and Sneakers I am looking at New Balance as they seem to have a good reputation without costing a fortune.

I look forward to hear what people have to say and Thank You!

Whatever you decide, make sure you break them in! :)

Micky (in my avatar) is a runner - he suggests Saucony Jazz - comfortable and good for walking. More of a retro-look. He said don't go too cheap because they are bad on your feet.
I had some new balance (girl) and they HURT the top of my feet, took a good while to break them in.

Unless it's pouring out, we don't get wet feet. If you are going on a water ride at AK, bring extra pair of socks I guess. Or wear sandals. Also, you can buy moisture-wicking socks to wear.

No advice on the sandals!

I sometimes do both. I mostly wear sandals - but all of my sandals have good support - no flat shoes for us. The most important thing is to bring several pairs of shoes. I usually switch shoes daily. In case they are wet in gives them time to dry. Also it helps my feet when I change shoes.
Just make sure they are comfortable shoes and they are not new when you bring them. My husband wears sneakers most days and is fine - but does switch his shoes as well. I hope that helps.

I prefer sneakers, I like having the decent support. Bring dry socks to change into if necessary.

My sister, however, had sneakers and these croc sandal things. She alternated between the two and said it felt heavenly to go back and forth.

Also, if you aren't used to walking a lot, your feet will hurt at the end of the day no matter what. Try to start walking (now) at least 10,000 steps a day if you can, and try to do at least half that at one time.

We did around 20,000 steps a day at Disney, which is about what I do at home during the work week each day. So my feet don't hurt at Disney, but the rest of me is sore! Take breaks! Take a day to relax at pool. :)

I have tried both, and sneakers gets my vote. They offer better support. And over five days, you will be on your feet a lot

Often when people talk about sneakers and Disney World I see people mention Sketcher Go Walks. Are they as good as people make them out to be? My first Disney World trip left me with sore feet and some blisters so I was looking for a better pair of sneakers.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I wasn't expecting to hear back so soon.
I like the idea of maybe having both. Alternating seems to be a suggestion that has come up a couple of times.
I am planning on getting shoes now to break them in, and thanks for the approximate step counts! Need to start increasing now to get anywhere near those numbers :/

Finally, looking to buy in next week or two so I will have at least 6-8 weeks to break them in.

Two pairs of sneakers to alternate. Obviously if it rains but I usually swap them during my afternoon break before going back to the park or Disney Springs.

Yo @UpstateDisney Welcome to the Dis!:welcome: I'm going to predict you'll do better with the sneakers/socks than the sandals. Over the many years of Disney trips I've tried not to go with sneakers and it just wasn't a good idea for me. About 8 years ago I had some nice quality sandals and thought I'd give 'em a go and not only did my feet hurt, basically every bone in my body hurt. But maybe that's just me (old & out of shape.);)

Like others have said, I would wear something you are familiar with and is comfy. How your feet and knees do really depend upon your approach to doing the parks. My wife and I like to do everything with healthy breaks. We have never had an issue at all with our feet or knees. That being said we are still in our 30s. Last time I went I wore a comfy pair of toms, which even for me, have minimal cushion. I was fine.

Toms were great for me as they are cooler than shoes with socks but slightly more support than sandals.

Good luck. I say wear what you know!

I have Skechers sneakers and Skechers flip flops that have cushiony bubbly things on the bottom. I also have 2 pairs of regular Croc clogs. I take all and alternate on how my feet are feeling. I used to be able to do Converse and cheap flip flops but now I get shin splints.

My husband and I alternate. We have sandals, as well as sneakers. We swap them out halfway through the day. It really helps us. If we know we're going to do Kali River at AK, we will wear sandals. If we know it is going to be a night spent walking around Epcot, we tend to go for the sneakers. We also keep a few band-aids with us at all times...just in case!

I'm a sneakers kind of girl I have 2 pairs that I alternate out and I wear sauccony sneakers. I do bring my teva flip flops to wear around the resort. I have really high arches and if I don't have enough support I'll be in agony, no matter of my fitness levels.

Often when people talk about sneakers and Disney World I see people mention Sketcher Go Walks. Are they as good as people make them out to be? My first Disney World trip left me with sore feet and some blisters so I was looking for a better pair of sneakers.

Yes and no to the Skechers Go Walks. The Skechers Go Walk series 1, 2, and 3 with the yoga mat lining were excellent and were my favorite affordable walking shoe. Lightweight, decent arch support, comfortable enough to wear without socks, never gave me blisters, and easy to clean in the washing machine. Sadly, these were all discontinued and now Skechers has the Go Walk 4 line which is IMHO, horrible. The Go Walk 4's are now wierdly shaped with pointy toes and no arch support, and gave me blisters on the back of my heel even when I wore socks! Don't even bother with current Go Walks...unless you see one of the earlier series of shoe on a clearance rack somewhere.

I will agree with those in the sneakers camp! DH and older DS have wide flat feet while younger DS and I have narrow feet with high arches. We all prefer sneakers though different types. They prefer New Balance while we prefer Nike cross training- not running because they don't have enough support. I also like Sketchers with memory foam and the kids and I have done a day in Sperry boat shoes too. DH has had ankle and knee surgeries, I have had surgery on my toe and had ankle injuries, and younger DS has broken his ankle so we prefer to have more support than sandals.

Sneakers all the way. I am a fitness junkie so I practically live in my Nikes on a daily basis anyways. I can easily walk around the park(s) all day without my feet hurting when wearing sneakers. I don't know why, but I always get this superstition that my sandal or flip-flop would break in the middle of the park lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter