Santa Monica to Anaheim/Bell Services @ DLH...

LizzyS

DIS Veteran
On our upcoming trip, we'll be visiting Santa Monica for a couple of days before heading to Disneyland, so I was wondering if there's anything that I'm not aware of (this is our first visit to the L.A. area and we expect traffic) on this drive that anyone can enlighten me about? We'll be driving to Anaheim from Santa Monica on a Sunday about mid-day. I'm sure we'll attempt the route MapQuest recommends, unless anyone has a better tip for the route.

On another note, if I need to drop our luggage off at bell services at the Disneyland Hotel before our room is ready, do I tip them when I drop our luggage off AND pick it up or just when picking up? I've honestly never used bell services anywhere and would appreciate any tips you can give me.

TIA!

I don't have any advice on the Santa Monica to Anaheim part. Hopefully others can chime in. As for the bell services tipping, I always tip whenever anyone touches my bags. Like Malcon10t I also have them deliver it to my room, unless I'm in a huge hurry for something I need from my bag (but typically it doesn't take too long for delivery).

You could try out the Waze app, it's supposed to have real time updates to traffic/accidents/etc. I usually use google maps, but sometimes google likes to take you some odd directions.

You could try out the Waze app, it's supposed to have real time updates to traffic/accidents/etc. I usually use google maps, but sometimes google likes to take you some odd directions.
In LA I recommend sticking with google maps over Waze. Waze will take you down streets they sometimes has you making left hand turns in to on coming traffic. But on the weekend I would stick with the freeway.

From Santa Monica you would either take the 10 east to the 5 South or the 10 east to the 405 south to the 105 east and then either take the 110, 710, or 605 south to the 91 east to the 5 south.

We LOVE Santa Monica!!!! Just got back from a birthday trip, we stayed at the beautiful Georgian Hotel. Not sure about the traffic part, as we took Uber but it did take quite a while (about an hour and a half) on a Friday afternoon.

Just use google maps. Traffic shouldn't be bad on a Sunday.

Tip anytime bell services touches your bag. The same attendant that puts away your bags may not be the same one that brings them up to your room. $1 per bag should be fine. We tipped $5 both ways, but we only had a couple of bags and didn't want to break $5 bills and seem stingy.

We LOVE Santa Monica!!!! Just got back from a birthday trip, we stayed at the beautiful Georgian Hotel. Not sure about the traffic part, as we took Uber but it did take quite a while (about an hour and a half) on a Friday afternoon.

OMG, that's where we're staying! I saw photos of The Georgian Hotel online and fell in love with it. Do you have any tips or advice regarding staying there? I'd be ever so grateful.

In LA I recommend sticking with google maps over Waze. Waze will take you down streets they sometimes has you making left hand turns in to on coming traffic. But on the weekend I would stick with the freeway.

From Santa Monica you would either take the 10 east to the 5 South or the 10 east to the 405 south to the 105 east and then either take the 110, 710, or 605 south to the 91 east to the 5 south.

Yes, I think we'll be taking the 10 to the 5 South.

Thanks for the tip on Google over Waze!

Hi,
As a native SoCal woman I highly recommend 10 to the 405 South to the 105 east and so on. This route will be approximately five to ten minutes longer, BUT 5 always has something going on. It's either expanding the freeway, three lanes merging into two because of road a work or confusion about the carpool/fast track lanes, whatever! Not to mention all of the semi's, very chaotic! Google maps as stated before is your best bet and will give you accurate directions. Also if you are not accustomed to LA drivers you might feel a bit more comfortable and relaxed taking the route I suggested. None the less, as long as you get there is what matters most. :moped:

Hi,
As a native SoCal woman I highly recommend 10 to the 405 South to the 105 east and so on. This route will be approximately five to ten minutes longer, BUT 5 always has something going on. It's either expanding the freeway, three lanes merging into two because of road a work or confusion about the carpool/fast track lanes, whatever! Not to mention all of the semi's, very chaotic! Google maps as stated before is your best bet and will give you accurate directions. Also if you are not accustomed to LA drivers you might feel a bit more comfortable and relaxed taking the route I suggested. None the less, as long as you get there is what matters most. :moped:

Thank you, we'll consider that. To be honest, we live in Las Vegas and the drivers here are kind of crazy themselves, so I doubt we'll be too fazed, whichever way we go.

OMG, that's where we're staying! I saw photos of The Georgian Hotel online and fell in love with it. Do you have any tips or advice regarding staying there? I'd be ever so grateful.

You are going to LOVE it!!! What room type are you getting? We've stayed twice and did the "Ocean View King Suite" both times. The first time we did the $37/night upgrade to get a higher floor but the next time did not and had almost as good of a view (I believe it was the 5th vs. the 7th floor the first time). I sat at the window in our room and watched some of the excitement that goes on later at night lol. The hotel is just so gorgeous and you really feel special staying there, at least we did! No ice makers, you have to call front desk to have that sent up. Room service was great. Rooms are very quiet, you couldn't tell there was anyone else staying there.

There is a walk down stairs that goes to the beach directly in front of the hotel that is closer than the pier one, but we only used that once. Just found the actual pier one to be easier to get to.

One major tip I have is if you don't intend to utilize the minibar, don't touch anything in it. They have sensors on each of the individual snacks/drinks and it sends a notification to the front desk that it was consumed (even if it wasn't, just picked up and put back down) and automatically added to your bill. Learned that the hard way! Sounds really strange and it was the first time we saw something like that, but you'll see the sensors underneath each of the snacks or wine bottles in the room.

You are going to LOVE it!!! What room type are you getting? We've stayed twice and did the "Ocean View King Suite" both times. The first time we did the $37/night upgrade to get a higher floor but the next time did not and had almost as good of a view (I believe it was the 5th vs. the 7th floor the first time). I sat at the window in our room and watched some of the excitement that goes on later at night lol. The hotel is just so gorgeous and you really feel special staying there, at least we did! No ice makers, you have to call front desk to have that sent up. Room service was great. Rooms are very quiet, you couldn't tell there was anyone else staying there.

There is a walk down stairs that goes to the beach directly in front of the hotel that is closer than the pier one, but we only used that once. Just found the actual pier one to be easier to get to.

One major tip I have is if you don't intend to utilize the minibar, don't touch anything in it. They have sensors on each of the individual snacks/drinks and it sends a notification to the front desk that it was consumed (even if it wasn't, just picked up and put back down) and automatically added to your bill. Learned that the hard way! Sounds really strange and it was the first time we saw something like that, but you'll see the sensors underneath each of the snacks or wine bottles in the room.
The mini bar thing is becoming the new norm.

Thank you so much for all of the tips! We are staying in an ocean view queen room.

Thank you so much for all of the tips! We are staying in an ocean view queen room.

Oh good - we've only stayed in the king suite the two times, but you really can't go wrong with the a view room! I hope you have fun and hope the weather cooperates for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!