Say Hello to Isaac, Your Bartender: 2019: Running Together and in Love!

Great job on the weight loss and yay on almost being done with C25K!

It sounds like you've got a fun weekend planned. Don't let the 12-year-old not coming get to you...12 can be a hard age. My 4th son just turned 13 last month, so I have lots of experience with 12-year-old boys, lol. I'm sure he'll come around in time!

Great job on the weight loss and yay on almost being done with C25K!

It sounds like you've got a fun weekend planned. Don't let the 12-year-old not coming get to you...12 can be a hard age. My 4th son just turned 13 last month, so I have lots of experience with 12-year-old boys, lol. I'm sure he'll come around in time!

Thanks for the kid advice. I think his mother is guilting him into not coming or at least not encouraging him to make the trip. I can see where he probably feels it would be disloyal to mom to go on a ‘family’ trip with another woman. But I think she’s feeding into it, personally. And holy crap, I just noticed you have six sons. :faint:

This morning was a really good run. My legs still feel like lead but my breathing was more controlled and time passed more quickly. I think it helped that I dialed back the pace just a hair.

Here’s the namesake of the thread title in case any youngsters reading this are confused:

A611E011-3495-4B14-8FD1-B88691519976.gif

Back from So Cal! With very rested legs! That's a nice way of saying we didn't get any runs in while we were on our long weekend. But we will be back at it tonight after work to finish up C25k. We did get about 45 minutes of beach walking in while Gabe's daughter looked for shells. I met just about his whole extended family except for one of his brothers who lives in Mexico. I really liked his 94 year old grandmother. She was a hoot! It was also a relief that I didn't sense any animosity over being the 'other woman' since he's technically still married. (We met a few months after she booted him from the house.) There had been a chance we'd go to DL on Sunday but we ended up staying home and watching football after the beach and go karting. Womp womp. But we may go in July! :yay:

We finished up Week 2 of the 5k to 10k app this morning. A full 35 minutes of running. My legs were lead for the first mile but they loosened up the longer we ran. It was a surprisingly good run. Tonight we're starting Week 3 with a 20 min run. The schedule I made has us doubling up a few days so that we can start the 13 week HM plan with a finish date of 5/19 (the Gold Country Half). This is our first evening run so we'll see how it goes. :tiptoe:

This weekend should be fun! Gabe's birthday is on Saturday and then our first race together is Sunday. I hope he likes his gifts. I got him a really nice set of cutlery to replace his cheap set since he loves to cook. He told me not to buy any more kitchen *&#! but this doesn't count since it's a gift AND will replace something we already have. :P

Today was weigh-in day. Last time I reported I had lost four pounds. It must’ve been a weird fluctuation because I gained back three the next week! Since then I’ve been slowly losing those three and this week I’m down another. So a net loss of 11. Of course I wish it were faster but overall I’m happy :dogdance:

7166E4F7-6290-4E03-9C12-F4E712249380.gif

Last edited:
First race together in the books! Super Sunday Run X was held at Sacramento State University. It was slightly drizzly when we arrived and finally parked. Traffic control wasn't the best. It was bumper to bumper on a two lane road because they closed one lane down about half a mile before the turn in to the parking lots. This was the first time I've run this event so I was beginning to get worried we'd miss the start since we still had to do packet pickup and make the trip back to the car to drop our new race shirts. Packet pickup was inside an actual building which I thought was strange, but nice for the volunteers who didn't have to sit out in the rain. There were a lot of people milling around trying to keep warm but no one was in the actual line to get their bibs. We were efficiently given our bibs and race shirts, which are super cute by the way, and made the fairly quick trip back to the car to drop them off.

We made it to the start line with about 5 minutes to spare, however, the race started 6 or 7 minutes late. Probably due to the traffic tie up trying to get in to park. But soon enough the anthem was being sung and we started slowly from the back of the pack. When we crossed the start line the announcer said he knew it was getting to the end of the runners because he saw strollers. Mile 1 seemed to go on forever and if there was a mile marker, I missed it. Thankfully I had started my watch or I'd have been really confused. Mile 2 was a bit slower since I decided to slow down after seeing my Mile 1 pace. I didn't want to run into major problems in Mile 3. Turns out it was hard enough since this was the longest distance we covered since we started training by almost a mile. At a certain point I knew I'd finish without stopping to walk, but it wasn't fun getting to the finish that's for sure. The finish line was at one end of the college football team's field. I have to admit that entering the stadium and running around the track before turning onto the field itself was pretty cool. Apparently they announced my full name as I entered over the stadium loudspeaker. I totally missed it. I was in get-me-to-the-finish mode and my tunnel vision had kicked in hard. But finish I did. 46:35 was my time. Not zippy, but I can only improve. Gabe has a tendency to run a bit ahead of me so he finished 4 seconds faster. I would've liked to have crossed together but maybe next time.

The post race was pretty awesome. Gabe said he wants to come back and do it again because of the free beer (Sierra Nevada) and burritos (Baja Fresh). We admired our medals - his first! - and he ran into a fellow teacher he'd worked with at a previous school. After we finished our beers (one per person) we headed home in the now heavy rain. I looked at the 10k runners who'd just begun their races and said, sayonara suckers! :duck:

Yay! Great job! I wish I could get my DH to run more races with me. Maybe he will do the 5k when I do Dopey next year?? :)

Yay! Great job! I wish I could get my DH to run more races with me. Maybe he will do the 5k when I do Dopey next year?? :)

Thanks! I hope he runs the 5k with you! But he’s a rock star anyway, driving behind you and keeping you safe and hydrated. :-)

Another Friday weigh-in day in the books. 2 pounds lost this week! :cheer2: :cheer2:
We didn't run this morning because Gabe tweaked his ankle playing soccer on Wednesday night and it didn't feel good running on it the next day. So he needed a day off. He says it will be fine for tomorrow morning, but we'll see. I don't want him hurting himself before our Napa trip. I have a couple of hikes planned if the rain holds off. I might need some Disney magic for that! :wizard:

We're back from Napa! Actually, we returned on Tuesday afternoon but I've been so busy at home and work that I haven't updated. We had a lovely trip! No wineries were visited since we're not fans of the vino. Then why go to Napa, you may ask. Well, the area is so beautiful, it's only an hour and a half away from home and it was a verrrry romantic place to spend our first Valentine's Day together. (Yes, today is Valentine's Day proper, but we celebrated early.)

We arrived on Sunday around noon and stopped at Goose and Gander for drinks and lunch. It's a two-story local hangout with the bar in the basement and dining room at street level. They brewed their own IPA (The Ghost of Walter) in-house and it ended up being our favorite beer of the whole trip. The corned beef hash was grub too!

F2830F82-3C8A-464B-8ACC-A933D98B5895.jpeg
From there we walked about 10 minutes to the Mad Fritz tap room. That was some of the purest and cleanest tasting beer either of us had ever tried. After that we finally made it to the hotel to check in about 2ish. The Harvest Inn is on some lovely grounds which we had planned to run. Spoiler alert: didn't happen. The room itself could use a small refresh but we really enjoyed the fireplace and the bathroom with the walk in shower. That night we dined at the Harvest Table, the hotel's restaurant, after a couple of beers at the bar. They brew their own beer as well as their own wine. Dinner was lovely. We started with the mussel appetizer and I had the housemade pappardelle. As well as the salted chocolate custard for dessert. I was on a roll. :sad2:

The next morning we had breakfast, again at Harvest Table. I had the Country French Toast which came with a beautiful orange Chantilly cream to spread on the brioche. Afterward, we hopped in my car and Wazed to the Moore Creek Park entrance. It didn't look like an official entrance - just an opening in a fence. But we chanced it and left the car outside of someone's private property markers and tow away signs. Soon we found some markers and a plastic holder full of guide maps and started our hike.

9DE7B2F2-7B21-4B0C-BC1E-4289E72B3070.jpeg B1EFDCF4-1DEE-4778-8617-F45521FBF885.jpeg

At first I was a little bored, to be honest. It was my first official hike and we walked a flat path around the lake for about 45 min with little wildlife action. Then we came to the proverbial fork in the road. We could either turn around and retrace our steps back to the car or press on and find the trail that would circle around back to the car. We chose option 2. And saw Bambi!

94F4FA33-71D5-4F72-B5AD-6C25BB756D03.jpeg
614751D1-5DC5-4AA6-9F41-227CF85D150E.jpeg

The trail we took was difficult for me. We climbed and climbed up switchback after mountainous switchback. I almost cried once, I’m not gonna lie. But climb to the top we did.

75FED9CB-5633-4666-BFAA-444908487240.jpeg
5F2AB2C0-0143-48AE-AC79-C4D9FD0BDA3C.jpeg

The rest was a quick, steep downhill. The car was still there. We drove back to the hotel and rested for an hour.

Later we hit the NapaSport Steakhouse for some beer and NBA action before an absolutely perfect dinner in downtown Napa at Grace’s Table. The potato gnocchi was amazing and I finished off with a creme brûlée in a heart shaped ramekin.

Tuesday morning we again had breakfast at the hotel (more French toast for me), packed up and checked out. Then we drove to downtown Napa again, but this time we visited the Oxbow Public Market. It was very sweet, but I was somewhat underwhelmed. I expected more of a Pike’s Market vibe but it was pretty tiny compared to Seattle. So we spent some time at the Fieldwork Brewery bar and then drove home.

I was incredibly sore from the hike and that didn’t dissipate until today. It’s also been raining cats and dogs here the past two mornings so we haven’t run since last week. Tomorrow morning we’ll be back at it with a vengeance!

That sounds like a tough hike! But congrats on getting it done and it actually looks beautiful. Sounds like a wonderful trip overall.

That sounds like a tough hike! But congrats on getting it done and it actually looks beautiful. Sounds like a wonderful trip overall.

Yes, we had an amazing three days...next up, Chicago!!!

We haven’t been running much for the last week. I wanted to complete the 5k to 10k app but condensing the program was leading to overtraining and shin splints. Sooooo, I rested my legs for a bit and today we started the 13 week HM plan that @DopeyBadger created for me. So far so good. But we’ll see how I feel at the end of this week.

Sooooo, I rested my legs for a bit and today we started the 13 week HM plan that @DopeyBadger created for me. So far so good. But we’ll see how I feel at the end of this week.

Had to dust this one off. Is this the Jan 2017 plan (#45)? Do you feel as if you're in a similar current fitness shape as to when you started that plan? Is a 41 min 5k reasonable, or is the 46 min recent 5k more indicative of fitness? Have you been running about 10-12 miles per week recently on about 5 days per week?

I ask all this because I just want to make sure that that old plan is still appropriate for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts