Say Hello to Isaac, Your Bartender: 2019: Running Together and in Love!

Had to dust this one off. Is this the Jan 2017 plan (#45)? Do you feel as if you're in a similar current fitness shape as to when you started that plan? Is a 41 min 5k reasonable, or is the 46 min recent 5k more indicative of fitness? Have you been running about 10-12 miles per week recently on about 5 days per week?

I ask all this because I just want to make sure that that old plan is still appropriate for now.

Yes, it's the Jan 2017 plan. I'm in worse shape now - more weight, less of a running base. So the 5k I just did is closer to my current fitness. I have been running around 10-12 miles per week either 5 or 6 days a week. Today I tried the Easy B pace and it was hard to go that slow. We've been running more in the 14-15 minute range. 3 miles during the 5k was the farthest that I've run so far. I think that's why it was so slow.

Yes, it's the Jan 2017 plan. I'm in worse shape now - more weight, less of a running base. So the 5k I just did is closer to my current fitness. I have been running around 10-12 miles per week either 5 or 6 days a week. Today I tried the Easy B pace and it was hard to go that slow. We've been running more in the 14-15 minute range. 3 miles during the 5k was the farthest that I've run so far. I think that's why it was so slow.

Sounds good. The running base of 10-12 miles and jumping into the plan right away might end up being a bit aggressive. So be cautious as it does ramp up rather dramatically from there.

A 46 min 5k is about 14:17 min/mile 1.9 mile race pace equivalent. So if you've been able to do mostly 14-15 min/mile running for at least 1.9 miles, then that suggests you're probably a bit further progressed than the 46 min 5k would suggest. If you find the EB pace (16:47) to be too hard mechanically to go that slow, you could consider doing a run/walk scheme to help force a slower running style. Something closer to a 16 min/mile for about 120 seconds and a walk of a 20:00 min/mile for 30 seconds possibly. The key is finding a comfortable mechanical pace, but yet the effort is kept extremely easy to the point you feel as if you're barely trying.

Sounds good. The running base of 10-12 miles and jumping into the plan right away might end up being a bit aggressive. So be cautious as it does ramp up rather dramatically from there.

A 46 min 5k is about 14:17 min/mile 1.9 mile race pace equivalent. So if you've been able to do mostly 14-15 min/mile running for at least 1.9 miles, then that suggests you're probably a bit further progressed than the 46 min 5k would suggest. If you find the EB pace (16:47) to be too hard mechanically to go that slow, you could consider doing a run/walk scheme to help force a slower running style. Something closer to a 16 min/mile for about 120 seconds and a walk of a 20:00 min/mile for 30 seconds possibly. The key is finding a comfortable mechanical pace, but yet the effort is kept extremely easy to the point you feel as if you're barely trying.

Thank you so much for your input! My first mile today was about 15:3x and I slowed down the second mile to 16:1x. It was extremely comfortable. I was breathing through my nose the whole time and didn't feel tired at the end of mile 2. I'd rather to continue to try to hit the paces than do run/walk. That method has just never appealed to me.

I'll definitely monitor how my body reacts to the extra mileage. I don't want to overdo but I really want to hit my goal of feeling prepared on race day. Knowing you're there as a resource is such a relief! Thanks, Billy!!!

We did our first tempo run of Billy's plan today. The first mile was alright as far as my energy and how my legs felt. We were trying to hit a 14:32 pace. The first mile was 14:16 and I tried to slow down a touch in the .5 mile remaining but ended up getting faster even though my legs were starting to feel it. I think it was because Gabe ran in front of me at the end and I probably tried to keep up with him. I always tell myself to go at my pace and let him do his thing but I probably subconsciously try to match him. The last .5 was 13:54 and the total average was 14:08 according to Strava.

Tomorrow is an Easy A run and Saturday we're doing the Long Run instead of Sunday since I'm doing another 5k that day. I didn't want to press Gabe to join me and have him miss another of his Sunday morning soccer games. Sunday's race is the Davis Stampede and it's probably going to be a bit emotional. They're honoring a fallen Davis PD officer who was killed a couple of months ago. Her badge was #224 and the race is taking place on 2/24 so they're donating $2.24 of every race registration to a memorial fund. She used to help with traffic control at prior Stampedes before she became an official cop. She was only in her rookie year. Natalie Corona, RIP.

Week 1 of 13 is in the books! I shifted our Long Run to Saturday because I had the Davis Stampede 5k planned for Sunday. The LR was 4 miles and went swimmingly although the pace was almost a minute over what I was shooting for. Afterward, I got a pedicure to pamper my tootsies.

Sunday was a completely different animal. I didn't make a point of Gabe accompanying me to the Davis Stampede because I didn't want him to miss another soccer game. So I drove out to Davis by myself and went through the pre-race ritual of packet pickup/walk shirt back to car and put on bib/walk back to the start area. I stood where I could see the half marathon and 10k runners run by me near the starting line. I noticed a ton of law enforcement presence among the runners based on their running shirts emblazoned with their agency names. This was of course in honor of the officer who lost her life recently in Davis, CA. Her name and badge number was everywhere. On spectators, runners, mile markers, and a booth where they were selling memorial merchandise. 224 was even on the sleeve of our free event t-shirt as well as our bibs. The PA announcer said some nice words before a poignant moment of silence was held. Two members of her family came to the mic and thanked the community for their support and the runners for coming out. Then they were off!

Soon after that I walked back to the corral. We were slated to start at 8:10, ten minutes after the HM/10k start at 8am. I think it was closer to 8:20 when we actually crossed the start line. Hmmm, my Strava says 8:23am. I went out too fast on Mile 1. I actually remember seeing the Mile 1 marker and thinking, 'that was fast!'. Mile 2 and 3 had some downhills followed by uphills. They hit me hard. I actually ran up all the hills, IIRC, but was gassed by the time I hit level ground and ended up walking for a bit. I'd say I walked about .75 of a mile overall. I did manage to run it in from about 2.5 miles until the finish. My time was 48:11. :o

I think by problem was two-fold. Those darn hills being one. And the other was Gabe not being there to pace me/push me. I really missed him running a couple yards ahead of me and giving me a carrot to chase. It was just too easy to give up without him there. My next race is a month away and thankfully it's on a Saturday so there won't be any soccer interference!

Arggghhh! I'm so behind here! We're in the process of moving and I've been sick for the last couple of days so running hasn't happened the last 2 mornings. We will give it a go tomorrow for sure. Sunday morning we got our long run in and it went great after the first mile and a half. Until then my legs were hurting and I couldn't find a groove. Luckily everything fell into place around mile 2 of 5. I should say 4.5 since we had to cut it half a mile short because Gabe needed to get home so he could leave for his soccer game. I could've easily finished the distance though, so that gave me confidence. This Sunday will be 6 miles. *fingers crossed*

Arggghhh! I'm so behind here! We're in the process of moving and I've been sick for the last couple of days so running hasn't happened the last 2 mornings. We will give it a go tomorrow for sure. Sunday morning we got our long run in and it went great after the first mile and a half. Until then my legs were hurting and I couldn't find a groove. Luckily everything fell into place around mile 2 of 5. I should say 4.5 since we had to cut it half a mile short because Gabe needed to get home so he could leave for his soccer game. I could've easily finished the distance though, so that gave me confidence. This Sunday will be 6 miles. *fingers crossed*

Hope the move goes well.

Ahhh, back from hiatus! I thoroughly underestimated how exhausting moving could be. We started back running this morning but I can't find the cord that goes to my Garmin so my runs aren't uploading to Strava yet. I assume it's in one of the million boxes we have yet to go through. We did 2.5 miles to get back into the flow. Tomorrow or Wednesday will be a tempo run depending on what day we take off. I'm trying to work us into a groove slowly so our legs will be ready for Saturday's race. We're doing our first 10k together - The Lucky Run. :shamrock::shamrock::shamrock::shamrock::shamrock::shamrock:

Everything else is going great. Gabe is much happier at the new place. I termed his old one 'the half-way house' because it's where he landed after the ex tossed him out. This place has smaller bedrooms, kitchen and garage, yet it seems much more like a home already. I think it's the layout. There's much more separation between all the rooms. Yesterday we went to my storage unit and picked out some of my art pieces to put on the walls. He vetoed my Marilyn Monroes. :P We also got a nice new lamp to go behind one of the couches so his mother has light to read by when his parents visit. Speaking of which, they'll be here this weekend. I better get on the stick and finish up the kitchen!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter