Say Please in French - A June and Sept. 2018 DLP TR *Updated 4/22

Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 Part 3:

Leaving Big Thunder Mountain, my family and Lesley thought about trying to catch the parade at 5:30; however, when we reached Main Street the walkways were already packed and we were standing about three rows deep. The kids wouldn’t get great views and both were acting antsy. After half a day in the car they were more interested in walking and checking out attractions.

So, we scrapped the parade plan and discussed what should follow Thunder Mtn. Lesley, probably remembering Landon’s fascination with Peter Pan, brought up Peter Pan’s Flight and when I mentioned the wait time, she whipped out four more Fastpasses for us to use.

Seriously.

She just met us and had no hesitation giving us her passes in order to make our experience better.

Alex and I were a little taken aback. Lesley turned our arrival evening into a special occasion; it almost felt like we were VIPs!

Landon insisted Lesley sit with him on the attraction, so Alex and I squeezed into the backseat with Evie. (On this version, there’s two rows to a ship.) After several goes on the Disneyland Paris’s version of Peter Pan’s Flight, I can say without hesitation that it’s my favorite of the two I have experienced. The ride seems longer, there’s short little dips throughout, and the scenes seem to go more in-depth than the Orlando one.

I stepped off and immediately began planning my return to trip to Neverland. I knew that I had to experience that ride a few more times before my trip was over.

Along the way, we had passed the carousel and Evie began to scream and shout and point to the horses. THAT! That circular stand with the bright lights and shining horses was calling to my daughter, like no other Disney attraction had called to her before.

She needed to go on the carousel. Her entire trip would be ruined if we didn’t walk over there right that second and seat her on a majestic steed she could call her own. (For approximately ninety seconds.)

Needless to say, riding Peter Pan’s Flight first did not sit well with her. Two year olds have a difficult time grasping patience and understanding the difference between LATER and NEVER. In Evie’s eyes, we were ripping her away from pure happiness and forcing to endure a dark and unknown void instead.

She spent her time flying over London and soaring to the second star on the right in a grumpy mood, whining and crying. It didn’t stop me from taking in the magic of the attraction, though, and once we were done I had to turn to Lesley and let her know the carousel would be our next stop.

There was about a ten minute wait to get on the ride and while we were standing in line, Alex got his first experience with rude guests on this trip. We had run into quite a fair share of appalling behavior the last time we were in the Paris parks, but nevertheless it still came as a surprise when the first incident occurred.

I can’t remember exactly what happened, but I know Alex was standing near the gate when two young girls came up and pushed their way in front of him. Then one stepped back and ran into Alex and lost her balance, to which Alex just crossed his arms and raised his brows like “What’d you expect would happen when you cut me off?”

Lesley had already told us about the impolite shenanigans she had encountered, and this was the example she needed to showcase her point. It’s insane the kind of antics you see at Disneyland Paris and has definitely made me look at Walt Disney World in a new light. Sure, we see some rude behavior there but nothing is ever going to top the kids standing on railings to see the fireworks.

After Alex’s tiny snafu, our turn on the carousel came up, and we followed Evie as she picked out her horse.

Landon wanted to sit next to Lesley, but I told him I wanted him to sit by his sister so I could capture a photo of the two of them. Lesley assured him she would sit right behind him and he could turn around and see her at any time.

01.JPG

02.JPG

When the carousel was finished, Evie voted for another go but Alex and I were getting hungry and needed to grab a bite to eat. The horses would have to wait…

Lesley suggested Au Chalet de la Marionnette; she had walked through the inside earlier on her trip and thought the theming was really well done. And since a good immersive setting can hide mediocre food (for me) I was on board.

Alex and I had a tough time deciding on a dish, so we agreed to buy a currywurst meal and a half chicken plate and split each in half. We went with the safest route for the kids and got them both hot dogs. While in line, Landon’s super-kid eyes honed in on the advertisement for specialty Mickey straws and he started begging us for one.

Normally, Alex and I don’t fall victim to that kind of spontaneous buying, but we were tired and hungry and gave in rather quickly. Both kids were suddenly the proud owners of gigantic smoothie straws with Mickeys attached to their middles.

Lesley ordered her food and had it in no time, so she went with me and Evie to find a table. A nice Cast Member spotted me and asked if I needed a high chair. While I didn’t, I thanked him for the help and couldn’t help but feel like I’d just received some of that famous WDW Cast Member customer service.

Between the man at the hotel check in desk and this kind CM, I was really beginning to see a difference in the worker’s efforts from the last visit. It seemed like ever since Disney bought the remaining shares, the infrastructure has shifted.

Last time, the Cast Members were, if not rude, definitely noncommittal. Whereas this time everyone wanted to chat and say hello to the kids. It was fantastic.

Alex and Landon found us soon after we sat down and we began distributing food.

03.JPG

No sooner had we dived into our meals then Landon tipped over his cup and sent milk across the table. Lesley had grabbed extra napkins and we were able to use those to sop up the mess. But some of it had gotten on Landon’s food and he was reluctant to eat the soggy fries and bread, making him a bit of a grouch.

Slightly embarrassed over the incident, I pushed on and tried to finish my food as fast as I could. The currywurst was okay. It wasn’t bad, but nothing extraordinary, either. (Then again, I live in the land famous for brats and hold my festival food to a high standard.) The half chicken, though, was pretty tasty. The skin had a nice crisp crunch to it and the meat wasn't overly greasy. The accompanying salad was fresh and filling, and with the two foods combined we felt like we were eating somewhat healthy for being in a theme park. Alex and I wouldn’t hesitate to order it again.

As we were nearing the end of our meal, I saw Evie trying to reach for a piece of food far away from her and noticed her milk cup sitting right in the line of her elbow’s path.

I knew what was about to happen but made a grab for the cup a second too late.

Splash.

There’s goes milk across table and seats and jeans.

Again…

I tried to laugh it off and tell Lesley that she was getting a firsthand look at what vacationing with young kids looks like (utter chaos) but inside I was mortified. C’mon, kids! We take you out to eat with a new friend and you start making messes left and right.

*sigh*

We cleaned up the second mess as best we could and finished up our dinners. Walking back outside, Alex and I made the command decision that it was time for the kids to go to bed. We had an early morning the following day, and their moods were starting to turn. Since we were behind the castle, Lesley suggested we walk through and see the dragon on our way out.

Great idea!

I love the dragon and think it’s one of the coolest features of the Paris parks, however I failed to get any photos of the creature this evening. Don’t really have an excuse, since Alex had Evie and Lesley had picked Landon up to let him get a better look.

(Lesley’s lot in life is having to hold other people’s kids at Disney World…if you read her TRs you’ll understand the reference.)

As all of us walked out to the castle’s entrance, I realized I had failed to get any photos of the castle. Not a single picture.

Time to change that!

Alex was already one step ahead of me:

04.JPG

I asked Alex to take a photo of me and Lesley so that I had proof of the DISmeet:
06.JPG

I didn’t realize until after I returned home that Alex was going through a phase where he insisted on taking pictures from an upwards angle. So most of my photos are weird shots of the tops of structures and my chin….(He has since been told he isn’t allowed to do this anymore.)

Lesley offered to take a family photo:

05.JPG

As you can see, Landon’s attention span was out the window. We’d lost him to boredom, fatigue, and the coloring book he knew was waiting for him once we got back to the room.

Lesley and I parted ways at the exit of the park with the hopes that we’ll run into one another in the future. Alex and I are determined to make it to Disneyland in California and hopefully when we do, we’ll be able to hang out with Lesley again.

It took us maybe three minutes to walk through the exit turnstiles and back to our room, and once there I got the kids bathed and tidied up for bed. Then, as promised, they got their gifts:

07.JPG

While I dealt with the kids, Alex went down to the resort fitness center and knocked out a run on the treadmill. He said the room was pretty small with only a few pieces of equipment, and he actually had to wait for an open machine because it was busy.

On the way back, he sent me this photo:

08.JPG

Hard to tell, but it was a vending machine for men’s speedos. When my family first moved to Germany and started looking at vacations in France, it came as quite a shock to us that men weren’t allowed to wear long swim trunks in the pools. It’s a hygienic thing, everyone trying to keep the pools clean from dirt and other debris that can hang on to longer shorts. Regardless, it’s deterred a lot of people I know from swimming…Alex included. And it’s become a bit of a joke within my house, so when Alex saw the vending machine he knew I’d get a laugh.

Just one of those customs you learn about when you live abroad…

All of us were tuckered out from the busy day and were asleep before ten o’clock.

Up Next…You’re Not Getting Any Toys this Trip. Except for That One. And That One

Great update!
And rest assured for the pictures of the dragon, it's not the easiest thing to picture, it's dark and the dragon can make very sudden movements.

01-jpg.354128
You've posted lot's of great pics but this may be my favorite so far.

Lesley turned our arrival evening into a special occasion; it almost felt like we were VIPs!
Sounds like she is so gracious.

Hard to tell, but it was a vending machine for men’s speedos.
:rotfl2:your story about long swimwear not allowed explains so many things I've experienced in the past.

Great update!
And rest assured for the pictures of the dragon, it's not the easiest thing to picture, it's dark and the dragon can make very sudden movements.

It really is. After trying in 2016, I think I am better off just standing and enjoying the sight and not worrying about trying to snap a good picture.

Oh my goodness, the Speedo vending machine!!! I'm dying!! :rotfl2:

Yes! Not something you see everyday!
Landon kept asking us last weekend if the hotel had a pool, and Alex kept interjecting before I could: "WE WON'T HAVE TIME TO SWIM THIS TRIP." :rotfl:

You've posted lot's of great pics but this may be my favorite so far.

Sounds like she is so gracious.

:rotfl2:your story about long swimwear not allowed explains so many things I've experienced in the past.

Thanks.
Yes, Lesley was so kind. I was so happy our trips overlapped, and I got the chance to spend some time with her.

Long swim trunks are almost unheard of over here. When we had our terrible heatwave in the summer, all our male neighbors were out on the balconies sunning in their speedos. It made for interesting walks in the afternoon. :rotfl2::rotfl:

What a wonderful first day! Spilled milk, and all. Just par for the course for two exhausted little vacationers.

Needless to say, riding Peter Pan’s Flight first did not sit well with her. Two year olds have a difficult time grasping patience and understanding the difference between LATER and NEVER. In Evie’s eyes, we were ripping her away from pure happiness and forcing to endure a dark and unknown void instead
Hahaha! I love this. Oh the melodrama of being two. Poor thing. At least she was able to return to the gallant steed shortly thereafter!

Normally, Alex and I don’t fall victim to that kind of spontaneous buying, but we were tired and hungry and gave in rather quickly. Both kids were suddenly the proud owners of gigantic smoothie straws with Mickeys attached to their middles
Hey, there are WAY worse (and much larger) souvenirs they could've fallen for!

Hard to tell, but it was a vending machine for men’s speedos
:rotfl2:

I... I just... I never... WOW. Bahahaha. I assume the variety I see accounts for sizes and colors. What the heck though, the people who made the "no trunks" rule don't think the unhygienic bits and bobs aren't also going to cling to men's hairy legs?! :crazy2:

Oh, I almost forgot, can I just give you a compliment for going back to the room when the kids got tired? That's where so many people go wrong, not just with kids, also with adults. Sometimes it's just best for the group to call it a day. But not everyone sees that.

Last weekend after the half marathon, we had the VIP tickets arranged for the parade and the fireworks on Sunday, with the APs we had. But after the bad weather, we went back to the hotel and decided, "no, we're not going back to the park". We had planned to eat in the hotel anyway, and it was just so nice to just relax instead of running back and forth between park for parade, hotel for dinner and back to the park for fireworks.

Wow, Lesley sounds like she was some sort of DLP angel for you guys - I'm glad that you got to spend time with her and have so much fun with her!

Also ... speedo vending machine. I'm dying.

She just met us and had no hesitation giving us her passes in order to make our experience better.
Oh I had sooo many it wasn’t any problem! I think I gave like 6 extras to Dugette and her family!

Landon insisted Lesley sit with him on the attraction, so Alex and I squeezed into the backseat with Evie.
He was pretty fun on the ride, making sure I knew what everything was! Trust me kid, I love Peter Pan too (it was my first in theatre movie, so always has a special place in my heart-though it must have been a special release because the actual release dates don’t make sense with my age)

Needless to say, riding Peter Pan’s Flight first did not sit well with her. Two year olds have a difficult time grasping patience and understanding the difference between LATER and NEVER. In Evie’s eyes, we were ripping her away from pure happiness and forcing to endure a dark and unknown void instead.
Yeah I remember she was not a happy camper boarding and the CM was even trying to let her know it wasn’t scary! But after Slinky, Alex was not going to let her get out of another ride! And then after the ride I got to hear a little voice: that was fun daddy!

I can’t remember exactly what happened, but I know Alex was standing near the gate when two young girls came up and pushed their way in front of him. Then one stepped back and ran into Alex and lost her balance, to which Alex just crossed his arms and raised his brows like “What’d you expect would happen when you cut me off?”
Yeah I think they had tried to walk behind us on the concrete wall-like, you need to get around 2 little kids to get on the carousel sooner? And then Alex just made sure to back up a bit before they got off the wall and one girl stepped back into the planter. He said if he had been wearing the backpack she would have fallen further onto her back! Totally deserved it though!

Landon wanted to sit next to Lesley, but I told him I wanted him to sit by his sister so I could capture a photo of the two of them. Lesley assured him she would sit right behind him and he could turn around and see her at any time.
I think I remember it took a while to start the ride and the horse next to me was still empty so after we took photos, Alex grabbed Landon and put him on it, and you hopped onto the horse! I had tried to get on the horse originally next to Landon but it was waaay too high up for me!
182DFA38-8078-41AC-A8C0-E0529592DEA4.jpeg

Between the man at the hotel check in desk and this kind CM, I was really beginning to see a difference in the worker’s efforts from the last visit. It seemed like ever since Disney bought the remaining shares, the infrastructure has shifted.
Yeah I really only had 1-2 weird interactions with CMs but others were all great! I heard from them too and they agreed that the whole atmosphere has hanged since Disney took control!

I tried to laugh it off and tell Lesley that she was getting a firsthand look at what vacationing with young kids looks like (utter chaos) but inside I was mortified. C’mon, kids! We take you out to eat with a new friend and you start making messes left and right.

*sigh*
Haha, no problem! I liked hanging out with the kids, spills and all!

I love the dragon and think it’s one of the coolest features of the Paris parks, however I failed to get any photos of the creature this evening. Don’t really have an excuse, since Alex had Evie and Lesley had picked Landon up to let him get a better look.
Yeah I’m worried I may have traumatized Landon because he was freaked out about the dragon and latched onto me!

Lesley’s lot in life is having to hold other people’s kids at Disney World…if you read her TRs you’ll understand the reference.
Haha!

Lesley and I parted ways at the exit of the park with the hopes that we’ll run into one another in the future. Alex and I are determined to make it to Disneyland in California and hopefully when we do, we’ll be able to hang out with Lesley again
Absolutely! I can’t wait to see you guys again!

Hard to tell, but it was a vending machine for men’s speedos.
OMG!!! Hilarious! I never got over to the Sequoia pool so I didn’t see if they had one too!

Last edited:
I'm thinking we were incredibly lucky that there was really only one "rude guest" incident we witnessed on our trip (families climbing onto fenced off areas to watch fireworks and CMs removed them eventually).

Lesley definitely left us with more FP than we knew what to do with too. She's so nice!

I can totally relate to the spilled milk - it's happened so many times! At least I don't have two of them doing it, I suppose.

Sounds like some great time you all spent together - good rides and a decent meal!

What a wonderful first day! Spilled milk, and all. Just par for the course for two exhausted little vacationers.

Hahaha! I love this. Oh the melodrama of being two. Poor thing. At least she was able to return to the gallant steed shortly thereafter!

Hey, there are WAY worse (and much larger) souvenirs they could've fallen for!

:rotfl2:

I... I just... I never... WOW. Bahahaha. I assume the variety I see accounts for sizes and colors. What the heck though, the people who made the "no trunks" rule don't think the unhygienic bits and bobs aren't also going to cling to men's hairy legs?! :crazy2:

Evie is the queen of melodrama. But at least within this past year, she has started discovering what attractions/shows she likes. Helps our planning go a little smoother.

That's very true! No spontaneous banshees from Pandora, just a couple reusable straws.

Yep, they offered a variety of sizes. And I never thought of the leg hair logic before. Who knows...

Oh, I almost forgot, can I just give you a compliment for going back to the room when the kids got tired? That's where so many people go wrong, not just with kids, also with adults. Sometimes it's just best for the group to call it a day. But not everyone sees that.

Last weekend after the half marathon, we had the VIP tickets arranged for the parade and the fireworks on Sunday, with the APs we had. But after the bad weather, we went back to the hotel and decided, "no, we're not going back to the park". We had planned to eat in the hotel anyway, and it was just so nice to just relax instead of running back and forth between park for parade, hotel for dinner and back to the park for fireworks.

Oh absolutely. When the kids (or one of us adults) starts to get tired and cranky, it's time for us to make a beeline for the room. Even letting the kids have an hour at the pool can be the difference between a good vacation day or one full of meltdowns.

That weather after the race on Sunday was terrible! I don't blame you for skipping the shows. And after participating in all the races, I bet it really helped with recovery to simply hang out at the hotel and eat a nice meal there.

Wow, Lesley sounds like she was some sort of DLP angel for you guys - I'm glad that you got to spend time with her and have so much fun with her!

Also ... speedo vending machine. I'm dying.

That vending machine is definitely something unique to the European Disney parks. Don't believe we'll ever see one of those by the Pop Century pool. :rotfl2:

Oh I had sooo many it wasn’t any problem! I think I gave like 6 extras to Rita and her family!

He was pretty fun on the ride, making sure I knew what everything was! Trust me kid, I love Peter Pan too (it was my first in theatre movie, so always has a special place in my heart-though it must have been a special release because the actual release dates don’t make sense with my age)

We still really appreciated it! Like I said, I think Landon felt really special, getting to walk right into the park and immediately ride two of his favorite attractions with no wait.

Landon feels like everyone else is riding the rides for the first time! Silly kid...

Yeah I remember she was not a happy camper boarding and the CM was even trying to let her know it wasn’t scary! But after Slinky, Alex was not going to let her get out of another ride! And then after the ride I got to hear a little voice: that was fun daddy!

Yeah I think they had tried to walk behind us on the concrete wall-like, you need to get around 2 little kids to get on the carousel sooner? And then Alex just made sure to back up a bit before they got off the wall and one girl stepped back into the planter. He said if he had been wearing the backpack she would have fallen further onto her back! Totally deserved it though!

I think I remember it took a while to start the ride and the horse next to me was still empty so after we took photos, Alex grabbed Landon and put him on it, and you hopped onto the horse! I had tried to get on the horse originally next to Landon but it was waaay too high up for me!
View attachment 354892

All right, your memory is a hundred percent better than mine! I completely forgot about the CM trying to reassure Evie that the Peter Pan's Flight wasn't scary and how we moved Landon to the horse next to you. I'm definitely going to need you to hang out with us when we get over to DL so you can remind me of everything we did. :rotfl:

Yeah I’m worried I may have traumatized Landon because he was freaked out about the dragon and latched onto me!

He was scared, but he also thought it was really cool. I think he might have been hamming it up a little, just to see how much attention he could get from you. :rotfl2:

I'm thinking we were incredibly lucky that there was really only one "rude guest" incident we witnessed on our trip (families climbing onto fenced off areas to watch fireworks and CMs removed them eventually).

Lesley definitely left us with more FP than we knew what to do with too. She's so nice!

I can totally relate to the spilled milk - it's happened so many times! At least I don't have two of them doing it, I suppose.

Sounds like some great time you all spent together - good rides and a decent meal!

I definitely saw less rude guests there then the first time we visited. I think Disney taking over completely has really turned it in a new direction.

Kids can't help but make messes. Thankfully, Landon's getting old enough where he can help clean up the spill, but I do look forward to the day when I don't have to bring emergency clothes in a bag.

Kids can't help but make messes. Thankfully, Landon's getting old enough where he can help clean up the spill, but I do look forward to the day when I don't have to bring emergency clothes in a bag.
Izzy may have spilled her milk TWICE tonight alone. But, as you said, she did help bring over towels and such to help.

Only in France would you find a Speedo vending machine! :rotfl2:

Definitely not something you'll see by the Pop Century swimming pools!:rotfl:

Sounds Lesley was a gem to spend time with!!

Love the pics on the carousel!

The speedo vending machine!! :rotfl2: That's hysterical!

It was fun getting to spend time with another DIS in the Paris parks. If someone would have told me 8 years ago that I'd not only be hanging out with an online friend, but doing so in Europe, I would have said they were crazy. :rotfl:

It was fun getting to spend time with another DIS in the Paris parks. If someone would have told me 8 years ago that I'd not only be hanging out with an online friend, but doing so in Europe, I would have said they were crazy.
I was equally surprised that I was able to have a dismeet in Paris! Totally random I happened to realize our dates would overlap!

Ok it’s been a long week and I’m knackered but I’m also laughing! Loudly! Possibly a little manically!! Speedo vending machine has to be a new must-have for all hotel pools :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Brilliant update and thanks so much for the laughs :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!