Say Please in French - A June and Sept. 2018 DLP TR *Updated 4/22

Ah, picky eaters. I live with 2.5 of them. (The middle one is hit or miss.)

I can't believe your loving DH tricked you onto that coaster!

Looks like another great meetup with Dug, Dugette and Izzy! We love hanging out with them, too. Maybe we'll all get to do Disney at some point!

In France?? That's amazing!

Right?! I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of the biggest reasons we eat here almost every trip. Even getting water refills is a nice change!

PREACH! This is so, so true! Glad your kiddos got some good friend time in :)

Our last trip to DLP, we actually went with friends from home and that experience was amazing. It made the trip more fun that I thought possible.

I can't believe Alex tricked you onto Indiana Jones!

Those Lion King stuffed animals are awesome! I'm sorry you couldn't convince the kids to take any home!

The Lion King plushes were awesome! I recently started getting Evie to watch the Lion King. She's petrified of the scene where the hyenas chase Simba out of the Pride Lands, but I think she likes the rest enough to want the plushes if we spotted them again.

I loved that cart of plushes! So cute!

Disneyland Paris and their plushes. I still can't believe how many awesome ones they had. Definitely looking forward to returning in September and getting the...kids a few more.

Brilliant updates. Sorry I haven't time to comment more (rushing to grocery store before school pick up). Laughed at Landon's silly faces (welcome to my world) and don't even get me started on fussy eaters (used to lie to my kids and tell them fish fingers were chicken fingers from chickens that had swam alot):rotfl:
Your view while you watched the kids is beautiful and Evie's wee face while in the backpack made me lol:rotfl2:

That fish finger explanation is brilliant! I might have to steal that one; Evie's suddenly not a fan of them. It's hilarious the things we have to come up with to justify foods in kids' minds...

I'm kind of jealous that you got in a few night shots of the evening and I kind of wish that I did more of that on my solo trip.

If you ever go back, definitely try to see Discoveryland at night. It had a really fun look to it with all the neon lights and the castle in the background.

So sweet! I bet those moments melt your heart.

Definitely. Since we have to move so much, I'm grateful they have each other to help one another through the years. And seeing it in pictures makes me really happy.

My father once did something similar to me. We were in the Rockies and he wanted to take us on a hike (Balu Pass) that required a minimum group size of four at all times as it was Grizzly territory. From time to time the trail gets closed due to bear activity. Well, my dad checked at the Parks Canada office before we went on the hike and they advised him that although the trail wasn't closed they recommended that we not hike it as the day before a Grizzly had been on the trail and separated a group of hikers. Everybody was okay and the bear apparently took no real notice of them but Parks Canada was warning hikers. My dad decided NOT to share this information with me until we were at the top of the Pass as he knew I would have refused to go on that trail. Needless to say the hike was beautiful and we all made it out safely with no bear sightings but I was royally steamed.

:scared1::scared1::rotfl: Oh my gosh, this story is crazy! I can't believe your father did that. You know, in his mind, he thought there was nothing to it, you didn't have any bear encounters. Probably didn't see the fuss. :laughing:

It so awesome that you were able to enjoy DLP with another family, and it seems to have really worked out for getting on those adult rides together rather than riding one at a time. What a perk!

I'm with you, those Lion King plushies were super cute!

Man, I sure love when I've got people with me at Disney and can ditch the kids for a few minutes. :rotfl2: Alex and I are going back for 2 nights WITHOUT the kids this June, and we cannot stop talking about it. You'd think it was our very first trip.

Yay!! Landon is ready for TOT and even better he rode it!! Huzzah! Of course I'm pretty biased as it's one of my favorites!

I love that you had so much fun with another Disney-loving family and hit it off so well. Disney with friends is perfect!

Wonderful updates that have far too much in my too-far-behind state to multi-quote, but I am reading and loving every word and photo. :goodvibes

It was fun witnessing Landon hitting another Disney "milestone." Since we never live in one place for more than a few years, Disney has kind of been that constant place we can measure our kids' growth. And this past winter he shot up like a rocket so now he can go on all the 44" rides, yet another part of Disney is open to him now.

Ah, picky eaters. I live with 2.5 of them. (The middle one is hit or miss.)

I can't believe your loving DH tricked you onto that coaster!

Looks like another great meetup with Dug, Dugette and Izzy! We love hanging out with them, too. Maybe we'll all get to do Disney at some point!

It was really fun getting to hang out at Disney with another family. I've had several DISmeets in the past, but none have ever had kids so it was an interesting change of pace.
Hey, we'll be in Disney in June.... @Dugette? :rolleyes1 (And if not Disney, then we'll definitely have to coordinate something when I'm in your state. Also in June.:laughing:)

Hey everyone just to let you all know, I've started my trip report and soon I'll be sharing you guys what I thought of my solo trip. https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-brits-return-to-the-magic-kingdom-14-17th-may-2018.3731994/

Good to know. I'll hop over there and subscribe.

It was fun witnessing Landon hitting another Disney "milestone." Since we never live in one place for more than a few years, Disney has kind of been that constant place we can measure our kids' growth. And this past winter he shot up like a rocket so now he can go on all the 44" rides, yet another part of Disney is open to him now.
That's a really neat way to view Disney for your little family. Love that you can follow photos and progress and milestones while moving every few years.

Sunday, June 17th Part 1:

The last Disney day.

What a sad statement.

Like all good Disney fans, I hate departure days. I have even been dragging my feet writing about the day; I was supposed to get this update written last week but my heart wasn’t in it. Maybe today will be the day I dig down and find some motivation to recap a few hours of our morning.

Disneyland Paris was still sleeping when my kids woke up and wanted breakfast. So, Alex and I hiked them down to our new pal, Starbucks, and got their pancakes and croissant sandwiches. Again.

I wasn’t exaggerating when I said the rest of the place was still asleep as we walked through Disney Village:
0003.JPG

0004.JPG

Not another soul in sight. Could you imagine walking through Disney Springs with it this empty? It was fun, but the activity level that’s usually prevalent in the shopping districts does add a special element to the place. I don’t know if the place was quite as interesting without other people to share the walkways with.

While we were making our way to Starbucks, I suddenly got the idea that I wanted to visit Disney with just Landon. Because he had gone on Tower of Terror the day before and had become way more independent in the last year, I realized that touring the parks with him could potentially be a lot of fun. Images of us strolling hand in hand down Main Street, walking into the Peter Pan’s Flight queue, splitting fries at Casey’s Corner popped into my head and I had to share the possibility right that second.

“Hey bud,” I said to Landon, slowing down to let Alex and Evie walk ahead of us.

“Yeah, Mom.” Landon was pretending to drive a car and indicated I needed to hop into the passenger seat if I wanted to talk.

“What would you say if you and me took a Mother and Son trip to Disney.” I politely closed my invisible passenger door and buckled up. Gotta stay safe. Even in invisible vehicles.

“Just us?”

“Yeah, wouldn’t that be cool?”

NO!

:confused:

Not the reaction I was expecting. “Why not?”

“Because Evie would be left alone.”

“Well, Dad would watch her.”

“But she would miss out. I go places with Evie. Not by myself!”

Just like that my grand idea of a weekend away with my oldest shattered. Landon was visibly upset that I had the audacity to leave Evie; if one kid goes to Disney then they all go. What’s vacation without your little sister to share in the shenanigans?:confused3

After that enlightening conversation and our repetitive breakfast, Alex and I took the kids back to the Disneyland Hotel and gathered our belongings. We loaded everything into the car, then waited in a long line at reception to check out and get our old hotel Fastpasses swapped out for the current day. By the time all of those necessities were taken care of, it was 9:00 o’clock. We were getting a late start to EMH but since we’d done a lot of it on our first full morning, we weren’t too concerned.

Walking into the Disneyland Park, I asked the kids to take a photo on Main Street for me.

It didn’t work out:

0008.JPG

Onwards, children! Farther into the park we go!

0011.JPG

There goes my Disney buddy, who won’t leave a family member behind….

We were headed to Discoveryland, and about halfway there the kids proclaimed that they would be willing to take a few photos. Unfortunately, Alex wasn’t paying attention to the camera and we only have unfocused photos from their stop.

0017.JPG

Since I was feeling fresh, I wanted to try Hyperspace Mountain. I was willing to take the jostling in order to gain the experience, so Alex took both kids over to Buzz Lightyear for yet another ride while I went to tackle the coaster.

I felt like a fool walking into the attraction. It was an empty queue, and there was more than one time that I didn’t know what direction to go. The ropes weren’t set up clearly and nobody was there to guide me. I’m sure I looked ridiculous, weaving back and forth through hallways, unsure if I was going back the way I’d just come or was on the right path.:sad2:

I would advise anyone going on the attraction during EMH to bring someone who’s got spectacular navigation skills.

When I finally did stumble my way into the loading zone, I was able to hop right on and go. The Star Wars overlay was really well done and very cool, but the ride was still rough and I could only manage the one turn.

0021.JPG

Meanwhile, Alex and the kids had finished battling Zurg and were waiting for me at the exit.
0022.JPG

I asked Alex if he wanted to go on Hyperspace Mountain again, but he declined. He knew he had to drive home later that day and didn’t want to risk a headache. Both of us love coasters but the DLP ones are simply too hard on us.

The four of us left Discoveryland and headed towards Fantasyland. Up until this morning, the sword had been missing from the stone behind the castle. This was a disappointment to Alex since that’s where he always gets his obligatory Disney picture with Landon.

To our surprise, the sword had been replaced overnight and we were able to get our photos with it!

0024.JPG

After our mini photo shoot, Evie begged us to go on the carousel.

Because nothing’s better than the carousel at Disney.

You guys should know this by this point in the trip report, right?

Here’s proof my daughter was literally running to the attraction:

0031.JPG

Good thing Alex and I weren’t in any rush and didn’t mind going on the carousel. We made our daughter one happy little girl:

0033.JPG

Continued in Next Post:

Continued from Previous Post:

There was a wait for our turn on the carousel and while we were waiting I grabbed a photo of Alex:

0035.JPG

And then laughed hard when in the next second I captured his Dad face in action:

0036.JPG

:rotfl2:

Has a truer parent face been shared on my trip report before? Highly doubtful.

This is such a classic, “
WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” face that I had to share.

When my kids realize where Alex and I are going for a few days this summer and ask how we could be so cruel as to leave them behind, I’ll use that picture in my supporting argument.

“Yes, children, your father and I are going to Disney without you. Why? Because we have forgotten what it’s like to stand in a queue and not ask you crazies why you’re pretending to make snow angels on the ground. Because we want to go out to eat and not watch you germ balls pick up a fallen French fry from your chair and eat it.”

I love ‘em more than life itself, but Alex needs some Disney time away from carousels and toddler antics…
::yes::

Moving on. We found out why the carousel was taking forever to go through its cycle. It was because the Cast Members were being extremely strict about enforcing safety rules. When it was finally our turn, and we got the kids situated on their horses someone came by and insisted I stand
EXACTLY on the green foot icons on the ground.

I don’t mean, make sure I was somewhat on it. I could not move my feet outside those lines.

What happened if I did?

They stopped the ride.

Yeppers.

Not twenty seconds after the carousel began moving, someone unbuckled their seatbelt and caused the whole ride to stop, followed by a Cast Member coming back through and checking everyone all over again.

Don’t try and tell me you feel tortured by It’s a Small World. Go on Disneyland Paris’s carousel and then we’ll talk.

Whew.

0037.JPG

By the time our extra-long circular horse jaunt was done, the park was open for regular hours and Alex and I made our way to Frontierland to ride Big Thunder Mountain again. Unfortunately, the coaster was down so we were turned away.

But on the flip side, we stumbled upon this amazing Cocoa setup.

0042.JPG

0043.JPG

0046.JPG

0048.JPG

0049.JPG

The detailing was phenomenal. The more I stood around and looked the more I saw. I haven’t seen what WDW has done with the Mexico pavilion, but I hope it’s as good as Disneyland Paris’s ode to the film.

Leaving me to my own picture-taking devices, Alex slipped away with Evie and bought her the second toy we had promised her.

0050.JPG

The Remy we found on our first day.

While I was still feeling a little bitter that it wasn’t a Lion King plush, I couldn’t deny the Remy was cute. It sports an apron that says Disneyland Paris on it, and Evie kept calling him “REE-MEE” which was entertaining to hear on the drive home.

During the shopping side trip, Alex had also contacted Dugette’s family and made plans to meet up with them. They were headed to BTMR, and we circumvented them before they made the wasted trip. Instead, we agreed to meet up by Pirates and plan our morning from there.

Up Next…Playgrounds are where Friendships are Solidified

That's sweet that Landon is worried about leaving Evie behind, that may change in a few years! :laughing:

How odd about the extreme strictness on the carousel. I wonder if they had a problem the day before and were reacting like this because of it?

Awww that's such a sweet settlement that Landon doesn't want to leave Evie. Why couldn't you figure it out at the time?! :P Anyways I honestly don't think I had a problem navigating through the queue of Hyperspace Mountain. I just mainly followed the corridors until I was at the landing bay.

Last edited:
Last days are so bittersweet!

Landon was visibly upset that I had the audacity to leave Evie; if one kid goes to Disney then they all go. What’s vacation without your little sister to share in the shenanigans
Okay this is so precious!

Meanwhile, Alex and the kids had finished battling Zurg and were waiting for me at the exit.
I find it adorable that you can barely see Evie's head in this photo :D

To our surprise, the sword had been replaced overnight and we were able to get our photos with it
Good timing!!

I mean its sweet that Landon wouldn't leave Evie for a Disney trip! :rotfl:

Last days are just the worst and I totally get trying to mentally plan another trip because that's really the only upside to leaving is when you have another trip on the horizon!

Aww, it's kinda sweet that Landon doesn't want to leave Evie behind. Give him some time, I'll bet he changes his tune in a few years! :rotfl:

That sounds like a rough go on the carousel!

0004-jpg.380085

Empty!

“Just us?”

“Yeah, wouldn’t that be cool?”

NO!

Not the reaction I was expecting. “Why not?”

“Because Evie would be left alone.”

“Well, Dad would watch her.”

“But she would miss out. I go places with Evie. Not by myself!”

:eek:

:faint:

I felt like a fool walking into the attraction. It was an empty queue, and there was more than one time that I didn’t know what direction to go. The ropes weren’t set up clearly and nobody was there to guide me. I’m sure I looked ridiculous, weaving back and forth through hallways, unsure if I was going back the way I’d just come or was on the right path.:sad2:

Yeah, that's just weird. :confused3

Here’s proof my daughter was literally running to the attraction:
0031-jpg.380092
Wheeee!!!!

The detailing was phenomenal. The more I stood around and looked the more I saw. I haven’t seen what WDW has done with the Mexico pavilion, but I hope it’s as good as Disneyland Paris’s ode to the film.

I hope whatever they do, it's temporary. I like the pavilions to be an accurate and as authentic as possible representation of the country so I can feel like I"ve gone "there". I don't mind a LITTLE character intrusion, but not a ton.

That's sweet that Landon is worried about leaving Evie behind, that may change in a few years! :laughing:

How odd about the extreme strictness on the carousel. I wonder if they had a problem the day before and were reacting like this because of it?

I'm waiting for Landon to hit that age where he doesn't want his little sister hanging around. I'm sure it's coming...

I wondered that, as well. Or maybe they were getting inspected? Do they do that at Disney?

Awww that's such a sweet settlement that Landon doesn't want to leave Evie. Why couldn't you figure it out at the time?! :P Anyways I honestly don't think I had a problem navigating through the queue of Hyperspace Mountain. I just mainly followed the corridors until I was at the landing bay.

I'm pretty directionally challenged, so it's no surprise I couldn't figure out the line by myself.

I LOVE Evie’s wee face as the gets her carousel ride :love:

It was nice to see her find something she enjoyed at Disney, because for so many trips prior she had been scared and/or disinterested. I think that might be why Alex was willing to go on the carousel over and over again. He knew it made her happy.

Last days are so bittersweet!

Okay this is so precious!

I find it adorable that you can barely see Evie's head in this photo :D

Good timing!!

I keep waiting for the day Landon doesn't want Evie hanging around him, but for now they love spending time together. Yesterday was a teacher workday at Landon's school, so he had to tag along to Evie's gymnastics class and the entire time Evie kept looking out into the bleachers going, "Is Bubba watching? Did he see me do my roll?" I am locking these moments away to remind them when they're teenagers that they did used to love one another. :rotfl:

I thought it was funny, too, that Evie's head barely fit over the ride vehicle in Buzz.

I mean its sweet that Landon wouldn't leave Evie for a Disney trip! :rotfl:

Last days are just the worst and I totally get trying to mentally plan another trip because that's really the only upside to leaving is when you have another trip on the horizon!

Agreed! Fortunately, we knew we would be back to Paris for our races in September, but we also knew it was just going to be a quick weekend trip. The last few years, all we have ever seemed to do are fast, commando days in the parks. So this trip here in June really reminded us how amazing long vacations to Disney are.

Aww, it's kinda sweet that Landon doesn't want to leave Evie behind. Give him some time, I'll bet he changes his tune in a few years! :rotfl:

That sounds like a rough go on the carousel!

No doubt. A part of me is surprised he doesn't shoo her away when he's hanging out with his friends. I'm not looking forward to those days. :laughing:

I hope whatever they do, it's temporary. I like the pavilions to be an accurate and as authentic as possible representation of the country so I can feel like I"ve gone "there". I don't mind a LITTLE character intrusion, but not a ton.

I agree 100%. Having Frozen in Norway and getting Ratatouille in France irks me. But I guess in Mexico's case, the Gran Fiesta Tour isn't my favorite attraction. And I feel like if they change it to a Cocoa theme then at least they are sticking with the Mexican culture. Day of the Dead is at least a real celebration and a learning opportunity for folks unfamiliar with the holiday. :confused3

:wave2:

I have been missing from the trip reports sections of the DIS for a couple of months now. Your report is the only one that I am even close to being caught up!

Back at the Marvel show- the pictures are cool and I appreciate your attempt at commentary, but it doesn't really matter to me since I haven't seen most of the movies. Just Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy, but the rest are all alien to me.

The parachute ride looks really cute, and I'm glad that it was a "threshold" ride for Landon.

That is an adorable selfie with Evie while the boys were on ToT. She has the cutest smile!

Those were a couple of pro-moves by Alex getting the kids to eat the chicken sandwiches and getting his wife on an upside down coaster. Well-played!

LOL on the photo faces * For Ben, it was a few years of seeing his tongue in every picture.

I feel your pain on your kids' disinterest in the Lion King plushies.* OMG, they are so cute!

The Hyperspace Mountain area at night is just gorgeous!

Loved the story about Landon's invisible car routine. He has a great imagination.

AWESOME picture at the Sword in the Stone.

Dad face! :lmao:

You may have suffered on the carousel, but you got an awesome family picture.

* I love your trip reports. The writing is riveting and I appreciate your honesty and humour. But the very best thing is that it brings me back to times in my kids lives, parenting challenges and triumphs. Memories that were buried until one of your anecdotes bring them to the surface.

:hug:

World's worst DIS-er reporting back finally! :o I haven't been on here at all, but had to catch up on your report and re-live parts of our trip! I'm hoping life will let me get back into the swing of things on the TR boards at some point....I am hopelessly behind on writing mine and reading everyone else's. :sad1:

I’ll be connecting the dots and waiting for Dugette to write her report to see how close I came to the truth.
Hahaha, by the time I get to mine, I'll just be posting pictures and going, "Uh, guess we went to this place next..." :confused3 I don't have any notes on this trip. And my memory is terrible. Should be interesting! :rotfl:

Following Pirates, they ended up by Indiana Jones and Alex offered to watch Izzy while Dugette and Dug went to ride by themselves. Alex knew full well how rare it is to get to ride coasters with your spouse when you’ve got young kids, so he was more than happy to give them that opportunity.
So nice of Alex to offer! I really didn't want to dump a third kid on him, but he welcomed it. And it's so true, once you have kids, it seems you never get to ride as a couple (until kids are old enough to join you).

I was shocked. Both because my husband spent the evening with one of my friends, people he had never heard of or knew about before a few days prior.

And because they were comfortable enough to let him watch Izzy for a few minutes.
Haha, well, I am the same person who did a DIS-meet with Lauren & Aria that started with them picking us up at the airport and stopping at Target and then leaving sleeping Izzy in the car with them while I ran in to get our supplies for the condo. It definitely occurred to me that she could just drive away with my sleeping toddler, but thankfully she didn't. :thumbsup2 (this was the first time we met - of course, reading these reports for years, we all feel like we know each other already, I think)

I think that goes to show how well Dugette’s family and mine hit it off. I think all of us got along well, the kids seemed to like each other, and we all felt comfortable spending hours together despite never having any previous interactions. I really appreciated how open and willing Dugette and her husband were to share their Disney time with us and make us a small part of their trip memories.
We super appreciated that you were willing to meet us and hang out as well. It's always so great chatting with Disney-loving people and the bonus of relating to bringing young kids to Disney/having young kids at all is really nice. And it worked out so well that it was right in the middle of our longer France trip, so it gave Izzy a chance to run around with an English-speaking kid of her age in the middle of a French-speaking spending-lots-of-time-with-adults trip. So glad it all worked out! :goodvibes

We are moving to England next summer! :goodvibes

I can’t tell you how excited and happy Alex and I are over this news. It’s always been a dream of mine to live in the U.K. and Alex really, really wasn’t ready to finish his European travels. It was one of our dream locations to live, and I still don’t know how we were lucky enough to get it.
I cannot tell you how happy I am for you and your family! I know this was a dream for you and so glad it's coming true! pixiedust:

WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!
Yay!!! So excited for you to return to WDW (and a little jealous - we miss WDW!)

I don’t even mind that Landon wasn’t cooperating and wouldn’t smile, because getting a family picture on a ride like this is such a rare gem. The seven of us then proceeded to get an awesome group selfie, but I can’t seem to find my copy so hopefully Dugette will share it when she writes her report.
Let me find it here...
dlptram - 1.jpg

And now I’m sitting here thinking, “Man, I want to go back and experience all these things again.”
Me too!!!

Hopefully over the years, he'll get to meet more fellow DISboard kids. There's gonna be a subforum here one day... Kids of DIS TRers. :rotfl2:
That would be so cool! And a sign that we are all doing something right. :woohoo:

We’ll have to wait for Lesley’s or Dugette’s update on the show and compare how close I was…
Haha, by the time I do mine, it's going to be "so, we saw a superhero show, here's some pictures and a link to Lesley's report since I remember nothing about it..." :rotfl2:

Over winter break, Landon hit a crazy growth spurt, and he's actually over 44 inches. Which means, he's opened himself up to even more rides when we go back to WDW this June. I'm really excited! And Evie's at 37 inches, so if she can grow one more inch we can all try SDD together for the first time, which I really hope will be the case.
Good job hitting 44", Landon! That is a big Disney height! And hope Evie keeps on growing to get that other inch by summer. I took Izzy to the amusement park in the Mall of America recently and she was just about at the 48" marker (with shoes on)...cannot believe it! These kids are just growing so fast!

It does make me stop and pause and think about how I joined the DIS before I was even married, and now I'm planning a trip where my oldest can ride Space Mountain. The time is flying by!
It really is! It seems like yesterday we were toting around little babies. :confused3

Hey, we'll be in Disney in June.... @Dugette? :rolleyes1 (And if not Disney, then we'll definitely have to coordinate something when I'm in your state. Also in June.:laughing:)
Man, now I really want to make a spontaneous and financially irresponsible visit to WDW!! :laughing: Just in case...what are your dates? And you're coming here in June too? Keep in touch, we would LOVE to see you!!

I would advise anyone going on the attraction during EMH to bring someone who’s got spectacular navigation skills.
Agreed! I don't have a good sense of direction at all and I had such a hard time getting through that queue - I think someone had to redirect me at one point even. :rotfl:

I enjoyed catching up on this tonight and will try to get back here sooner next time. :goodvibes

I agree 100%. Having Frozen in Norway and getting Ratatouille in France irks me. But I guess in Mexico's case, the Gran Fiesta Tour isn't my favorite attraction. And I feel like if they change it to a Cocoa theme then at least they are sticking with the Mexican culture. Day of the Dead is at least a real celebration and a learning opportunity for folks unfamiliar with the holiday. :confused3

That makes sense too. And I do think the soundtrack to Coco is a really good one. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts