SB: New SB'er has some general ??

welovedis

Disneyland here we come!
Hello!

I am new to scrapbooking & was wondering how you all got started? Did you take a local class or workshop? Or just strike out on your own with some books?

I am trying to organize my things to create a few different books, mostly would like to put everything together from our first trip to WDW last Sept. I saved quite a bit with this in mind, but have no good idea where to start.

Any suggestions would help!

TIA!

I started out by taking a Creative Memories class. They do a good job of expaining the "do's and don't's" of scrapbooking. They'll give you a good start and you might meet some scrapbooking buddies. I love to scrap with others, since I am famous for getting scrapper's block. Seems at a crop there is always someone with a great idea for a page or a title when I am stuck.

That said, I don't stick to the CM products. Their albums are the best, in my opinion, but I buy a lot of my paper and adhesives, etc. at Michael's on sale. Once you know all about what is safe for your albums, shop around.

Welcome to the best hobby around. I've made more good friends through my albums. It can be a lot of fun and your family will love you for it!

I started at a CM workshop as well - it really inspired me to start getting all of those old pics in shoeboxes at least organized. Now if I could only get them in scrapbooks!

I'm not fortunate enough to have classes or workshops available to me, so I started by buying a couple of magazines, reading a lot of stuff on the net, and looking at layouts - then just getting stuck in.

www.gracefulbee.com has a good article on getting started, then it's just a matter of buying some supplies and getting stuck in.

A word of warning, I thought a good way to get started would be to buy a 'starter kit' from Michaels - well, it has a nice album in it, but the die-cuts are horrible, and the paper is fairly standard, I won't use any of the die-cuts, and I think I would have done much better spending $30 on a nice album and choosing $20 worth of my own paper and stickers. (the starter kit was $50) - it's branded 'Making Memories' there may be nicer one's out there? but I was not impressed with this one

Bev

THANKS for the advice!

I just called a local scrapbook store & have signed up for an introductory workshop. The said they sell CM & many other products so there should be alot to choose from if I decide to go ahead & purchase some things from them.

DH bought me some neat albums & paper already, but I wanted to check out to see if it was safe to use & get some basic supplies to get started. Thanks for the tip about those pre-packaged starter sets--I did see some of those at Michael's when I went there to write down the prices of the supplies. I figured I could compare prices to those at the scrapbook store before I buy.

Ok thanks for the welcome everyone & I'll let you all know how it goes!

I too started with Creative Memories. I loved it so much I became a consultant! That said, definitely take a class wether it's with a local CM Consultant or at the local scrapbook store. It's a great way to get started. However, a word of caution, the only way to get CM products is through a consultant not the local scrapbook store. If the LSS is saying the have CM products, be leary. CM does not sell to retail establishments! Anyway, have fun and welcome to the addiction of scrapbooking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter