SB: What kind of adhesive should I get?

disny4fun

Mouseketeer
I am just starting out and have never SB before. What kind of adhesive should I get. I am signed up for a class at a SB store, but their adhesive is so expensive and they have several different choices. When I asked the store clerk she highlighted the most expensive one ;) . So what do all of you recommend?

Hi, I just started scrapbooking this year and have tried a few types of adhesive. I started out with the CM tape runner. It was an older model and I could never get it to work right. Then I got a glue stick. But there really wasn't much stickiness. I have had to reapply adhesive to many of my pages. But then I got reinvolved with CM. I went to a workshop, and made a comment about the tape runner. The CMC allowed me to try her's, and I just love it. I really like the CM photo splits too. And after attending a few workshops and getting really into the scrapbooking (like I probably should have done 3 years ago), I signed on with CM and just love it.

So, as for my experience, I would definitely stay away from glue sticks (and this was a photo safe). See if you can buy a small quantity to try different ones. Just make sure that they are photo safe, etc.

Good luck, and enjoy creating your books.

mbs

I agree with MBS! I've never had much luck with glue sticks. I am personally partial to the CM tape runner and photo splits.

Happy Scrappin!

I like using ZIG 2-way glue, it comes in various tip widths. I agree with the comment about the glue stick not working well...gave mine to the kids!

I use three types.

The CM pull tab photo squares, Hermafix, and the 2 way glue pen. Each has it's own best use.

For most things I use the photo squares.

Hermafix is pricey to start with as you have to buy the dispenser. You also have to get used to how much to use because at first you tend to get carried away. It is a repositional adhesive. There are many times when I want that option.

The third is the 2 way glue pen. I have the small tip for gluing small things. You also have to watch the liquid adhesives as sometimes they will bleed through the thinner papers.

Hope this helps you choose.

Chessie

I am a huge fan of the hermfix repositionable dots - it is a bit pricey initially, but the refills are about half the price and it's very easy to refill. When I run out, and have to use my CM tape runner I am so devasted (mainly because the CM one is very permanent, and I just love to be able to reposition)

I also like a glue stick for smaller things that are hard to hermafix (although you can run the hermafix over a small thing lying on a scrap of paper , and the extra dots will just go onto the paper, and can be rubbed off, whereas the CM tape is a fixed width and I often have to trim it off.

You don't need a lot of hermafix, and this is a hard lesson to learn, I used to put it on all 4 edges of my photo, now I just use a bit in each corner.

Bev

I have been scrapping for quite a while, but I still have trouble with vellum. It seems to me that every adhesive I try shows through. I always try to hide the spots with overlapping items. What do the rest of you use?

I usually put the adhesive under something, as you do - in the BH book she suggests either a Xyron machine (which I don't have) or on white paper, she says you can't see what photo splits - not sure what to do on colored paper!

I have found that tiny amounts of gluestick don't look too obvious.

Bev

I use the CM tape runner. I used the Hermafix tab dispenser for a while, but I like the flexibility of the tape runner because you can put a little or a lot of adhesive in a spot. I got tired of cutting those little tabs to fit in small spaces like on die cuts. Some people prefer the CM photo splits because you can put them on your pics, move your pics around to figure out where you want them and the peel off the backing and mount them. I like the speed of the tape runner, though. Photo splits are good for the beginner scrapbooker, though.

I;ve just noticed that someone is advertising clear photo splits, especially for vellum - it was in this month's CK.

Bev

Oooooh - I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter