Scared of the heat

kisobel

Mouseketeer
Ok, I'm from central New York and I don't tolerate the heat great. But I am bound and determined to turn 50 at the MK. So our trip is booked for Sept 5-Sept 16. Yes I know it's going to be hot, but I can't move my birthday. I need suggestions, strategies, or tips to make this trip more heat tolerable. Thanks.

Kate

Ok, I'm from central New York and I don't tolerate the heat great. But I am bound and determined to turn 50 at the MK. So our trip is booked for Sept 5-Sept 16. Yes I know it's going to be hot, but I can't move my birthday. I need suggestions, strategies, or tips to make this trip more heat tolerable. Thanks.

Kate

There's not much you can do. It's just plain old hot and humid then. Have plenty of water (get a Camelbak pack) have a mist fan, whatever, it's just gonna be hot. Last time we were there in September, it was between 90-95 and the heat index was about 115-120.

You'll be there for the afternoon storm which then makes things even more humid.

I guess some advice would be to take advantage of early morning offerings, getting out of the heat of the day in the afternoon and heading back out after it storms in the early evening and staying out til as late as you can handle or the park closes. Other than that, if you're destined to stay in the parks the whole day, find places you can get out of the sun as frequently as possible.

I also don't tolerate heat well and we went last August. I was so worried, but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, it was hot, but it was manageable. Here's what we did that helped:
Get out early! This was key. Then we went back to the resort from after lunch until about 4 before heading to the parks for the evening.
Get Hydro Flasks! You can get them on Amazon. Fill it with ice and water at the resort in the morning and it will literally stay cold all day! You can get free cups of ice water at any quick service, so keep refilling it throughout the day.
Get mini fans. I know it may sound dumb, but it helped... a lot. I didn't like the misting type, but some do. We used ours when waiting in line for rides.
Plan on going to shows during the hottest times you'll be in the parks. We left for the early afternoons, so went to shows when it stated getting hot late morning and early evening when we got back to the parks.

I worried also, but it was fine. Just be prepared and have a plan. One of the days we were there it was 101! We were at animal kingdom that day and took frequent "breaks" by going into the shops to cool off. We had a great time and I'd totally do it again!

We made a trip late last August and it was HOT! DW, who takes medication that makes her extra sensitive to the heat, became overheated just waiting for a 9am rope drop at Epcot one morning. Bad planning on my part getting there so early and asking her to stand and wait.

I will second mousehockey37's suggestions. And make the following additions: Consider moisture wicking clothes. They don't work as well in the high humidity but they do help. Wide brim hat to keep the sum off your head and face. Adjust your touring plans for frequent indoor attractions. Plan for a lazy, relaxed visit.

We have gone in August and September. We wore dri fit type clothes, Frog Toggs chilly pads (for our necks), misting fans and lots of water. I found Magic Kingdom to be the most manageable. I think because there are a lot of rides and most ques are inside or covered. Sometimes you go to rides or shows just for the AC! We also work in a pool day to relax and cool off.

I've never been to Disney in the summer, but I do go to band camp in August and what helps me the most is the instant cooling towels you can get at dollar tree. I have one that's a strip you can roll up, and put it behind my neck. Greatest thing I've ever used to help fight the heat.

I grew up in Florida and now live in NJ. I don't tolerate heat well either. I'm spending my 40th birthday at WDW this year mainly because I was invited to a wedding, but I jumped at the chance to spend my 40th birthday there. The big catch being it's in JULY! I'm not sure how much actual park time I'm going to manage compared to other trips, but the goal is to hit the early mornings, break in the afternoons, and back in the evenings for shows. I'll use frogg toggs and spray bottles and hydrate as much as possible, but I'm still a bit nervous about how I'll manage. I found when I go in May that soaking my clothes with cold water helps for a while. I'm usually dry within an hour or two but it helps on the hottest of days.

This past summer I got sick from the heat when we took the kids to a local amusement park. It was around 90 and humid and even though I felt I drank a lot and used other things to try and keep cool I ended up with heat exhaustion. Massive headache, confusion, and nausea and so tired I literally couldn't keep my eyes open. Almost fell asleep driving home at 4 in the afternoon and ended up so weak and tired I slept for most of the next 48 hours. So overall my plan for Disney is to take it slow and not expect to my usual intense touring plans. Break up outside attractions with indoor ones to cool off. And just lower expectations in general. I'll focus on dining plans and things indoors whenever possible.

Good luck and I hope you have a great birthday celebration!

Kate
Staying on site helps, set up your fastpasses for earlier in the day, retreat to the shade (resorts, waterkparks, movies) for the afternoons, return in the evenings.

Have a great 50th!!!!

We've done Disney in mid August six years in a row.. We find it very manageable. We do mid day breaks... I honestly don't think we would survive a whole trip if not for these mid day breaks!! Get to parks for close to rope drop, take a few hours back at the resort then hit the parks again after dinner!
Oh and it might sound crazy but no hot coffee outside lol I survived five years at Disney in August and last summer I made a rookie mistake, drinking my hot coffee outside while the sun was just beating down.. Got heat poisening because it rose my body temperature.. True story.. I was out of commission for a day and a half

"So our trip is booked for Sept 5-Sept 16. I need suggestions, strategies, or tips to make this trip more heat tolerable. "

I live here and have for over 20 years & am originally from NE Philly area. All tips are excellent so far but I want to stress these things. You must drink. I mean drink at least 2'xs what you are use to. It's essential to not getting sick. Ice water at any counter service location free. Just ask. And ask and ask. Second, you must eat. Many people say it's too hot or I forgot cause I was busy. No, no, no. You must eat. It will get you out of the heat for a bit and it will help you stay healthy in the heat.
Also, you are coming at the height of our storm season. Bring ponchos with you (they are ridiculously priced in the park) and I would bring an extra pair of socks with you into the parks. Change them mid day or when you go back to your room for an afternoon break.
You will get thunderstorms daily around 4-6pm ish. They don't last long but you can see them rolling in. Nothing worse than being over heated and then soggy while trudging through the parks.
I would also say, don't try to be a commando. Do what you can each day and don't beat yourself up for having to take breaks in the heat. Many people think they absolutely have to cram every attraction in and that's not the case.
Also, not only is it hot but the sun will cook you to a crisp. Be sure to reapply your sunscreen at least 2x's through the day.
If you aren't use to walking far, long periods etc, I'd look into getting some mole skin for your feet. It really helps with the blisters.

I'm a life-long Floridian. I like cooling towels-- soak them in ice water. Personal fans help, the ones with the lanyard to hold them around your neck and pointing up to your face. The lanyard also keeps your hands free. Carry as little as possible (hence the lanyard fan).

I don't like misting fans. Water doesn't evaporate and cool you as quickly in the high humidity. Avoid rides like Splash and KRR that will get you really wet. The relief is short-lived; the soggy clothes will last for hours. If you do need to do these rides, do so right before you leave for an afternoon break. Head right back to the hotel and change.

Speaking of afternoon breaks, a shower during these times does me a world of good (even after a swim).

Wear a broad rimmed hat. Drink water all the time. If you start to feel thirsty or get a headache, you may be getting dehydrated. Drink Powerade to replace lost electrolytes. Eat a good meal in air conditioning during the hottest point of the day. Use the time to rest and recuperate.

It all comes down to avoiding the hottest part of the day (about noon - 4PM). There are tons of ways to do it and you have to determine what works for you. First is to stay hydrated (8oz at least every hour for adults, 4oz for kids). Second, getting out of the sun is important. Go into shops, watch indoor shows, go back to your resort, visit other resorts. Whatever it is, get out of the sun.

You cannot avoid the heat in Sept, you can only plan for it. We learned after Day 1 to adjust our schedule and keep cool.

• Bring shade (hat or umbrella)
  • Drink cold water
  • Hide from the heat of the day (go in the parks at opening til noon, then 5pm to midnight)
  • Take a nap in the a/c all afternoon

I've never been to Disney in the summer, but I do go to band camp in August and what helps me the most is the instant cooling towels you can get at dollar tree. I have one that's a strip you can roll up, and put it behind my neck. Greatest thing I've ever used to help fight the heat.

Coming from a drum and bugle corps vet here, band camp has nothing on Disney in August, lol.

I am from the deep south. I work in the heat. When you are at Disney world in the hot months it is ruff. All the concrete reflecting the sun back up at you. We try to go every year on the Fourth of July. My wife and I Marvel at folks from up north. Most are sun burned pink and red and the sweat just pours off these poor folks. We are not sweating at all .Drink plenty of cold water. Take cooling breaks. Eat light. If you have some one that may not be up to all the walking, rent a scooter. Wear copious amounts of sun screen. Take advantage of air conditioning when you can find it. Go back to your resort and get in the pool. You folks from up north think were all slow down here but it is the only way you can survive.

Sept. Can be hit and miss as can Aug and July... been there July 4 week and all except one day it was in the low 80's and breezy...Aug and Sept. range from similar to mid 90's.. for the most part for us Sept. has always been a little cooler -- in the mid to mid upper 80's but Humid the payoff was always less crowds and short waits so you are not spending a lot of time in the sun... I always Drink a lot of water and never had an issue...even on a few Mid July days one trip where it did not rain for a few days to cool down the concrete... being in the sun was about equal to sticking your head in an oven..

I'm Canadian and I was at WDW late last Sept. I always carried a small bottle of water & refilled it regularly at CS locations and/or fountains. Cooling towels (either Frogg Togg - cut them in half lengthwise or Ergodyne . . . both available on amazon) were wonderful. I always did rope drop in the early a.m. then looked for air conditioning by late morning for a cool break at noon. Watch your feet. The heat, humidity & rain storms lead to blisters. Consider a couple prs of good quality running socks (avoid your regular cotton sport socks) and wear your most well broken in & comfortable running shoes. Bring moleskin padding (most drug stores have it) even if you haven't had blisters before. WDW in Sept is blister season. Sunglasses, a ball cap & sunblock are a must. Also watch your alcohol consumption. It is the Epcot Food & Wine so not easy but more than a drink or two in the sun & humidity can knock you down flat.

We found the cooling towels to be life savers when we went in August one year. We also took mid-day breaks and went back to the air-conditioned room for a break/nap.

As others have said, don't try to rush everything. Just take your time and enjoy the little things that you normally miss when you are rushing around.

Have a fantastic trip!

Wear a hat, light clothing, get one of those "cool towels" and drink TONS of water (you can free iced "tap" water from any of the concession stands). I'm not a fan of leaving the park and going back, but I do see how that would be a benefit. My family and I just like to get the most out of the park. Leaving for a few hours doesn't seem to allow that for us. My best suggestion, is to wait until fall or winter. You can't move your birthday, but you can move the celebration...

This comes up a lot.

Wear sunscreen
Wear a hat
Wear lightweight clothing
Wear light color clothing
Take advantage of the free water
All inside places have air cond
Go on the rides and shows in the afternoon that are inside if staying in the park.
Get use to the heat before you come. This is easily done since you are coming in September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter