Scared of the heat

So much good advice on here! One thing I haven't seen is to front load your morning with your must-do's. We have each family member pick a thing that is their number 1 priority. We got those done in the morning and then the afternoon/evening after a break was all just extra fun. It took a lot of pressure off of us to keep going and allowed a lot more flexibility and breaks.

Kreckl's advice to scrap plans if need be is also really apt. Our arrival day was planned at Disney Springs. We did some shopping and planned on dinner at Earl of sandwich. Everybody was dying from the temp change (MN to FL is no joke!). So, instead of shopping more, we grabbed sandwiches to go and swam and ate in our room. One of the best decisions we made. Try to remember that it's a vacation, not a checklist (this is my mantra because I'm a checklist girl!), and adjust plans as needed with the heat.

Don't really have much to add beyond what others have said. The frog toggs (or a simple washcloth dunked in ice water) work the best for me. That is combined with taking it slow, breaks, etc.

I'm a big girl and definitely not a heat tolerant creature and our last trip was in September. Let me tell you it was so hot I'm pretty sure I've blacked out over half of the trip and may have seen the devil in his natural habitat. Honestly, you can't really prepare for that type of heat, you just have to jump in; and remember, September is like peak hurricane season. But stay hydrated! Free ice water at QS is fantastic and, even though I can't stand it, we found that Gatorade (or Powerade I can't remember) helped tremendously on days when water just didn't feel like enough. Also, there's no shame in cutting out midday to go back and nap or swim, this saved us from going at each others throats due to heat exhaustion.

We just left and it was unbelievably hot. Especially at Epcot and AK it seemed. That said what others have said is wise. Go early and escape the parks midday to early evening. Dress smartly with moisture wicking clothes. I saw lots of people in denim this week which blew my mind.

Also start drinking water the night before. I made both my kids down a full bottle on the way to the bus stop and refill at each water fountain.

Wear sunscreen.
Wear a hat. One that offers UV protection if possible. I like brims to keep heat and sun off neck and face.
Wear lightweight, breathable clothing. Wicking fabric is terrific.
If you can't do wicking fabric, stick to natural fabrics which breathe. Linen is better in heat than cotton (but wrinkles more).
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Alcohol and sodas will not keep you hydrated. Water is key. You need to replenish the water your clothes wick away.
Take your time. Plan some indoor/AC rides.
Start now taking long walks outdoors to help acclimate you a bit. It won't be the same, but it will help.
Depending on your touring schedule, consider taking a break during the heat of the day and returning to the parks when temps cool.
Look into something like frog toggs to help keep you cool.
You can also purchase handheld, battery operated fan/misters.

Ok, I'm from central New York and I don't tolerate the heat great. But I am bound and determined to turn 50 at the MK. So our trip is booked for Sept 5-Sept 16. Yes I know it's going to be hot, but I can't move my birthday. I need suggestions, strategies, or tips to make this trip more heat tolerable. Thanks.

Kate
Buy a small UV umbrella from Amazon, and use it as a parasol. I won't go to the parks in the summer without mine.

We carry water bottles called Hydro Flask, keeps cold water all day. And we have a misting fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter