School books

daughter_of_amid_chaos

<font color=green>very very very careful about wha
So on amazon.com about a week ago my biology book (which I need for ALL of my prerequisites for my minor) cost $130. Now today it cost $195. THIS SUCKS! :earseek:

I was a biology major for a couple of years. What book do you need? I might have it.

It is Biology, Sixth Edition by Campbell and Reece.
They are very strict that it has to be the sixth edition...even though a seventh edition came out lol

Yeah mine is the old 5th edition. Didn't realize two more had come out since then. Should have known as I took the bio class way back in 2000.

IloveDMB said:
Yeah mine is the old 5th edition. Didn't realize two more had come out since then. Should have known as I took the bio class way back in 2000.
Yeah the 6th came out in 2002 and the 7th just came out. this 6th edition is used for all bio intro classes so almost every single student in the college of liberal arts at depauw will have this book at some time.

daughter_of_amid_chaos said:
Yeah the 6th came out in 2002 and the 7th just came out. this 6th edition is used for all bio intro classes so almost every single student in the college of liberal arts at depauw will have this book at some time.

Yeah we have two bio intro classes. I took them back to back and then decided I'd just keep the book because I thought I'd graduate with a bio degree. I ended up switching to public health but I still found the book to be a great reference.

IloveDMB said:
Yeah we have two bio intro classes. I took them back to back and then decided I'd just keep the book because I thought I'd graduate with a bio degree. I ended up switching to public health but I still found the book to be a great reference.
We have 4 intro classes. Bio 120 and 140 are taking together each 7 week courses. Then Bio 160 and 180 are taking together each 7 week courses.
So for the first 7 weeks of next semester I am in Intro to Ecology and then the last 7 weeks are Intro to Evolution.
I am a bio minor so the book will come in handy. I would have majored but you need calc, chem, and physics too...and I am not good at those. Plus I didn't want to double major and I am already a history major.

daughter_of_amid_chaos said:
We have 4 intro classes. Bio 120 and 140 are taking together each 7 week courses. Then Bio 160 and 180 are taking together each 7 week courses.
So for the first 7 weeks of next semester I am in Intro to Ecology and then the last 7 weeks are Intro to Evolution.
I am a bio minor so the book will come in handy. I would have majored but you need calc, chem, and physics too...and I am not good at those. Plus I didn't want to double major and I am already a history major.

What other classes do you have to take for your bio minor?

For bio, we took Bio 1100 Organisms and Evolutions first, and then Bio 1200 Cells and Molecules. I had the same boring teacher for both.

Intro classes are Intro to Cell Bio, Intro to Genetics, Intro to Ecology and Intro to Evolution.
Of course they are currently changing our entire bio curriculum and it is changing for next year so that is this year.
I think they are combinging the 7 week courses into 1 long semester course.
So i would take cell bio and genetics together next semester. I guess I don't know...They are completely changing it all.

ILoveDMB--I just got my course list for my Plants in Human Cultures class and they look SOOO boring.
Did you ever take a plant bio class?

Nope, I switched majors before I got to the plants course. We did cover it in my intro courses and I remember, it was incredibly boring. I can't imagine spending a whole semester on just plants.

If you get a chance, take a microbiology course. Much more fascinating.

IloveDMB said:
Nope, I switched majors before I got to the plants course. We did cover it in my intro courses and I remember, it was incredibly boring. I can't imagine spending a whole semester on just plants.

If you get a chance, take a microbiology course. Much more fascinating.
I am waiting to see how the bio curriculum is changing before I choose my path for my minor.
This plant class sounds somewhat interesting because it is how plants are in human culture and stuff. The books are old and boring looking though lol

I still have one class left to buy books for, but I've already spent $441. And they're all used. And small. And paperback.

On the bright side, I'll definitely get all of my reading done this semester -- after spending that much money? I am not wasting it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter