School Calender just came out. Would you rebook your vacation?

So the district I taught in used the end of term placement test to determine if a child could go in advanced math because they were held constant across teachers in multiple middle and elementary schools. I'm not using it as a scare tactic, I'm just saying it's different to miss a district test or an end of term test than a Kindergarten end of chapter reading test. If it's a tested grade level and particularly once there are different levels of classes it can be a big deal. The fact that it wasn't for you, doesn't mean it isn't ever.

As I originally said if the OP couldn't change for other reasons (which it sounds like they can't), it's not going to doom the child, but yes there are consequences to missing a term test and yes it can require effort to catch up. It's a very different situation to have someone involuntarily absent for a severe illness than a my family wanted to take a vacation.

And @Lilsia I'd hope if you're expecting a teacher to pull overtime (which is what you're describing by making them show up early or stay late to catch your child up) for a vacation that was your choice (not an illness, a funeral, or some other unavoidable issue) that you'll be compensating them for their extra services at your expense. Because saying it's just what "good teachers do" shows little empathy or understanding of what teachers currently are doing in a lot of school and the sacrifice to their own family time so that you can go on vacation.

OP, it sounds like you've made a well researched and thorough decision. One suggestion is to make sure your kids do some school work everyday. The kids I had that were miserable and overwhelmed were often the ones forced to do a week's worth of work on the plane home or bus back.

Our school district does pay the teachers if they stay late. They are beyond wonderful in making sure that every student has the help they need. There is always before/after/during school help to all students for whatever reason. And they actually encourage family time and vacations. Heck, most of the teachers go to WDW throughout the year. Not once has a teacher or administrator said anything other then "have a great trip" to my kids and myself when we told them we were going. There IS more to life then just the kids "academic career". We definitely appreciate what teachers do.

For my children, in our school district, if I had planned based on a recurring school schedule and there was a last minute change, then unless I truly thought it would cause a struggle for my kids, I would go ahead with the trip. I always try my best to plan around school, but unfortunately schools can sometimes make it difficult to do that. So if I had really tried to avoid them missing in the first place, but then a school change made it so they would miss a bit, I'd fill out the vacation forms well in advance, and send notes to the individual teachers explaining and apologizing for the inconvenience, and continue with our trip as planned.

I wouldn't change it or stress. I booked our trip thinking they usually have the Fri out before fall break so they would miss two days... But turns out they are now out the Monday after fall break instead and we aren't losing some of our special stuff planned. My daughter starts middle school this year too. So we are leaving that Wednesday As soon as we pick the kids up from school and traveling late at night to keep it at 2 days. Won't be a fun night but we are taking our trip and not changing dates. Lol.... We put in way to much work to move dates. I couldn't justify a week out because we have very strict absence policy in our district. We can only have 3 parent note days a year. Rest must be doctors excuses. 5 unexcused absences in the year and you have to go to truancy court! So my opinion is keep the date...it will be ok!

Once my oldest started middle school, our during-school Disney trips came to an end because I didn't want her to miss labs or important in-class work. However, if I were in your situation, I would still go on the trip. You planned it believing the break time would be the same and your kids wouldn't be missing school, it is early enough in the school year to not hugely impact grades, and it is only three days. As long as any missed work can be made up and the teachers and district don't have a problem, my vote is for go and have fun.

Oh please. Kids are out sick longer then 3 days and it doesn't ruin them forever. If a child missing a few days of school completely destroys their year, then that is more on the teacher and school, not the child. We have all missed school for whatever reason and most of us have normal productive lives. I never ran into anyone in my 4 1/2 decades on this planet that said "I wish I never missed those 3 days of school in junior high, it ruined my life". :crazy2:

That is exactly what happened to my DGD when we took a family vacation during the school year. Normally, when she missed a few days she was fine. She is a good student and worked hard to keep her grades up. We took a week and when we returned she got sick. And sick again. That year it seemed like there was something going around all year long, and the poor kid was a mess. She asked my DD never to do this again.

I will say that she did miss a week last year the first week in December for our 25th wedding anniversary trip, and the first one we all could travel together as a family. She worked with all of her teachers ahead of time, and was in better shape when we came home, however she did not get sick that semester either.

OP- every family has to evaluate their own circumstances and decide how the kids will be if they miss classes. That changes year to year, if I base it on my own family. Some years kids have an easier schedule or a lighter workload, or teachers who can support them if they miss classes. Other years it would be the perfect storm for the child. You do what works, and hope for the best.

Update....we decided to reschedule. Not really due to the kids missing school, but due to the crowds! We knew when we originally booked the trip that it was a holiday weekend and it would be crazy crowds. We did some research and I asked on some threads just how bad the crowds were. The answers I got scared me. We discussed it and decided to rebook. We actually got the flight for $52 cheaper. Our actual resort package was more but we decided to leave on Thursday night instead of Friday morning. We also were able to get CRT reservations! The only thing we lost was BBB which I am determined to call on and keep trying! So now the kids will only miss Friday which is what the plan was the whole time. I am relieved and hopefully we will see less crowds than originally planned.

Glad it worked out ok!! We had a similar situation... we booked in November for the end of May, when school was going to be out. Our district had class on Monday May 21st, off May 22nd due to elections, and the last day of class was May 23rd. We decided since airfare is cheaper on Tuesdays, we'd schedule our trip Tue-Tue, and the kids would just miss 1 day. Well, we had The Eternal Winter and had a ton of snow days. Normally we don't have to make them up because there's only a few, but this year they added on 2 extra days. So, they ended up missing 3 days, instead of 2. Fortunately, it was the end of the year and it was mostly parties and clean up stuff. I know people regularly take their kids out of school for vacations, but I was raised that you don't miss school unless you are expelling a large amount of any number of bodily fluids, haha.

Update....we decided to reschedule. Not really due to the kids missing school, but due to the crowds! We knew when we originally booked the trip that it was a holiday weekend and it would be crazy crowds. We did some research and I asked on some threads just how bad the crowds were. The answers I got scared me. We discussed it and decided to rebook. We actually got the flight for $52 cheaper. Our actual resort package was more but we decided to leave on Thursday night instead of Friday morning. We also were able to get CRT reservations! The only thing we lost was BBB which I am determined to call on and keep trying! So now the kids will only miss Friday which is what the plan was the whole time. I am relieved and hopefully we will see less crowds than originally planned.

May I suggest the Ivy Trellis as a sub for BBB? I took my little Princesses there for their Princess package and was very pleased. Teh price was excellent, the stylists are licensed and will customize the hair for each child, and can actually do the hair becuase of their license. They also will do the makeup, however we declined that. The girls both had their own Princess gowns and were given a lovely tiara to go with their new do. They then paraded around the Grand where guests and CM's all paid them the respect Royalty is used to. Best moeny spent!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter