School Holidays/Breaks

That's exactly what happened last time this came up. DW is a teacher with TDSB and they started back and had to be in the school I think it was the Wednesday or the Thursday before Labour Day. She ended up taking an unpaid day off and we went ahead with our planned trip anyway (had to apply for it and get it approved but since there are no kids invovled and they didn't have to pay her it was basically found money for them). We have a HAL Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver booked for that week next summer, expecting something along the same lines.
Yes, I remember that. It was in 2010 on a Wednesday. We had our PA at the Rogers Centre. Buses took us from school there as a whole school group. No real professional activity and luckily we visited WDW in July that year. We took advantage of the $99 flights and stayed for a week. Teachers were told about the PA Day in June. As we all plan our Disney travel months or even years ahead, this is too short a notice! I would have applied for an unpaid leave as well if that happened to me.

Then please all of you who get a say vote no for those who have planned a Disney trip end of summer

Yes, I remember that. It was in 2010 on a Wednesday. We had our PA at the Rogers Centre. Buses took us from school there as a whole school group. No real professional activity and luckily we visited WDW in July that year. We took advantage of the $99 flights and stayed for a week. Teachers were told about the PA Day in June. As we all plan our Disney travel months or even years ahead, this is too short a notice! I would have applied for an unpaid leave as well if that happened to me.

I work for a public school board. Calendars have to be approved by the board itself and then the ministry I believe. That said, in previous years my board has had a PD day before labour day for staff to come in in order to meet the 194 required days. Students have always started after labour day.
Things could change you never know but I’d say it’s unlikely.

Ottawa Catholic Board won't be posting until March their proposed schedule. I am interested to know if other boards are following the public board here though.

Anyone heard anything recently here in Ontario about when school will be starting in Sept? Trying to rebook our March break WDW trip possibly at the end of summer since my oldest will be working f/t all summer.

Interesting it looks like both Calgary and Nova Scotia schools will start before the Labor Day. Is that the usual for them. Wonder if Ontario will do the same.

Ottawa Catholic Board announced September 1st for the first day of school as well, it was in the news yesterday. So I am guessing more than a few will be following suit. I think it varies by school board but it seems many are following the same dates.

As long as Christmas break is still the same as set out by the ministry of education, I am all good. If Ottawa starts early, does the school year ends early too?

Well this just sucks! I homeschool my two youngest, but my oldest is going into grade eleven. Not liking the loss of that last week of summer.

Very hard to swallow. Hate being tied to the school calendar, but it’s not simple to homeschool for high school in regards to building an official transcript.

As long as Christmas break is still the same as set out by the ministry of education, I am all good. If Ottawa starts early, does the school year ends early too?

Public board's last day will be June 25
And Catholic board elementary school's last day will be June 24
From what I've seen.

I believe the Public board did a survey with parents for Christmas holidays and they all voted for the normal one, so December 21 through January 1, going back on January 4th.

Public board's last day will be June 25
And Catholic board elementary school's last day will be June 24
From what I've seen.

I believe the Public board did a survey with parents for Christmas holidays and they all voted for the normal one, so December 21 through January 1, going back on January 4th.
Thanks for the update!

And no, OCDSB has not yet officially set the school year calendar. DW is a teacher and we are waiting (im)patiently to find out so that we can book our August vacation. There is a possibility that school could start in the final week of August.

I asked a principal friend of mine and it looks like in York Region (north of Toronto) First day is after Labour Day. He said it would still be the status quo- same as always. Teachers may be in early (PA days) but Not students. Let’s hope he is right!

I asked a principal friend of mine and it looks like in York Region (north of Toronto) First day is after Labour Day. He said it would still be the status quo- same as always. Teachers may be in early (PA days) but Not students. Let’s hope he is right!
Big relief here as we are in York region. Thanks for sharing.

We're in the Lambton-Kent district and I heard the first day of school for kids will be the day after Labour Day but there will be PD days the week before for teachers. We usually have a PD day at the end of September so maybe that will cancel that one out. I'm not sure why they're treating this year different since Labour Day is late like this every few years (last time was in 2015).

We're in the Lambton-Kent district and I heard the first day of school for kids will be the day after Labour Day but there will be PD days the week before for teachers. We usually have a PD day at the end of September so maybe that will cancel that one out. I'm not sure why they're treating this year different since Labour Day is late like this every few years (last time was in 2015).
Maybe the extra week of summer is throwing things off? But we've had this before and we have always returned first Tuesday after Labour Day.

Maybe the extra week of summer is throwing things off? But we've had this before and we have always returned first Tuesday after Labour Day.
Yeah same, I remember it being late in 2015 because we contemplated going to WDW that week and decided it would be way too hot so we cancelled it!!

In my 47 years, it’s always been after Labour Day so I don’t buy the, “We can’t fit in the requisite number of school days nonsense.” I’m a retired teacher so I’ve always been attuned to the school schedule. Hope that the York Region rumour is true and that Peel Public does the same. Going back before Labour Day stinks; especially in Canada where we get so little great weather.

Yup in York region as well. I am going on the basis of start day Sept 8. All the ymca camps, town camps have camps up to Sept 4. That is my clue that school starts after Labour day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts