School vacation week

madmar

Earning My Ears
Staying 2/13-2/19 for A gymnastics meet. discount hotels, Pop ,POR, or CBR are discounted. this is also school vacation week.šŸ˜±. which resort and why? Also would like a preferred room as I'm a bit older and having surgery this summer. Any suggestions appreciated

You might want to clarify. Feb 2019 is past, no discounts are our for Feb 2020 yet...or beyond September.

If you mean Feb 2020, that is Presidentsā€˜ Day weekend, so yes it gets quite busy. Iā€™m not sure where you are from but school vacations are all over the map. New England public schools do tend to have a vacation around then, but not all the same week (ours is the following week). POP will probably feel more crowded that weekend, especially if those are the resorts for the gymnastics teams. Note that CBR and the Bayou section (which includes preferred rooms) at POR do not have elevators if that would be a concern (you mention an upcoming surgery). I think a Preferred Room at POP will be closer to the main building than Preferred at CBR or POR, but that might just be my perception.

Enjoy your vacation and good luck at the gymnastics competition!

@lanejudy I feel like you're right. The preferred room I stayed at in Pop "felt" closer to the main building than the preferred area at POR.

@madmar POR will probably "feel" quieter.

It could also be that I still have nightmares from the music that was played in the 70s courtyard when I stayed preferred at Pop

Pop ,POR, or CBR are discounted.
Of those 3 I would choose POR - It is a very nice resort and has boat access to disney springs. If anything your less expensive Pop will the one most crowded and crazy with groups. POR should be a bit quieter as it would be a little more expensive being a moderate hotel.

I can tell you that most (if not all) of Florida schools only get Presidents day off and not the whole week. I would do POR or POP. But be aware that at POR the preferred buildings are in the AB section and they are 2 floors without any elevators, so you need to request a ground floor room.

I can tell you that most (if not all) of Florida schools only get Presidents day off and not the whole week. I would do POR or POP. But be aware that at POR the preferred buildings are in the AB section and they are 2 floors without any elevators, so you need to request a ground floor room.

Yes, but a lot of states on the east coast have this week off, so WDW will be very crowded.

Yes, but a lot of states on the east coast have this week off, so WDW will be very crowded.
Sorry, I disagree. Will it be heavier than normal, yes a bit, but the highest crowd level is during the 3 day weekend (when the locals are off) and then it goes down a level starting that Tuesday.

It's really only NY, New England, and randomly Washington State that get the whole week off. It's not bad at all Tues - Fri. We go every other year.

The NY districts I am familiar with don't get a full week, either. We have to go as much as possible to avoid snow day make-ups keeping the kids in school until July. ;) ;) ;) Districts all make up their own schedules and states vary widely from one area to another in terms of weather, tradition, and local culture, so it stands to reason that the school district calendars will reflect that. :)

But since you're there for a meet, it's not like you have the option to pick another time no matter how busy it gets (or doesn't get) while you are there.

Of the resorts you mentioned, during a meet I'd go with POR, simply because I think more of the kids will be staying in the other 2 options. :) I hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide. :)

Out of those options, I'd go with POR. But if mobility really is an issue, I would book POFQ instead, unless the POR discounted rate was a LOT cheaper.

It's really only NY, New England, and randomly Washington State that get the whole week off. It's not bad at all Tues - Fri. We go every other year.
And some districts in CA randomly. My district has it. (I'm a teacher.)

I'd choose POR because I love POR. It's beautiful and serene and as someone else said, I'm guessing groups of kids might choose the other two options first.

Several counties in metro Atlanta off the whole week as well. Weā€™ve gone Presidents week twice and itā€™s not that bad.

Several counties in metro Atlanta off the whole week as well. Weā€™ve gone Presidents week twice and itā€™s not that bad.

Interesting! My cousin's kids right near Atlanta have a week in September off but not the Feb one! We've never found it that bad either - and it's great to flee the frozen tundra for the week, even if we have to come back to snow!

Interesting! My cousin's kids right near Atlanta have a week in September off but not the Feb one! We've never found it that bad either - and it's great to flee the frozen tundra for the week, even if we have to come back to snow!
Yeah we have shorter summers (first day of school this year is August 1, last day was before Memorial Day) then get a week ā€œfall breakā€ in Sept, week off at thanksgiving, two weeks off at Christmas, week off in Feb (ā€œwinter breakā€), then spring break in April. Itā€™s got its pluses and minuses. šŸ˜³
Weā€™re north of Atlanta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter