Sci Fi or 50s Primetime for 22 month old and first timer?

Disney Kidd

Mouseketeer
Which is better for a 22 month old? It will also be my hubby's first time at WDW. Which is better for first timer?

While the food is about as average as you are going to get at WDW, I think the Sci Fi is definitely cool to see at least once. It's a great space and the theming is some of the best on property. I also think it will keep the attention of a 22 month old. We've gone to WDW every year at least once for the last 20 years. The last time we ate at SCI FI was 15 years ago. But it's the one place I don't go that I always recommend to people making their first trip. You need to see it at least once.

Unless hubby is really into 50s nostalgia I'd skip Primetime. Not much to keep the 22 month old entertained. While I also find the food much better, it is some of the heaviest food on property. The couple times we ate here we left STUFFED.

I would say 50’s PTC. The food at Sci Fi is just ok and it can be dark and you are in these cars that can only fit 2 people in a row so if you are with others they would be behind you and would have to turn around to talk. We love the food at 50’s and the servers are so hilarious we have a blast every time.

Sci-Fi may be the quietest meal at Disney.

Food is 'meh'.

But we go once during every vacation.

I prefer the food at Prime Time, but Sci-Fi is quiet place where even very young, and overstimulated by Disney, children tend to behave.

50's PT is very noisy. If your husband gets annoyed easily, he will probably hate it. And if he doesn't like to play the games while he is eating, he will surely hate it.

We prefer SciFi of the two. First you cannot beat the atmosphere and its a definite "wow" for a first timer. Plus a toddler will likely be entertained by the movies. We also really like the food. Recognize not everyones holds this opinion but its solid burgers, sandwiches, and milkshakes that add to the drive in atmosphere. Oh and they have the best onion rings and fried pickles.

50's is good too and the kitch fun but for me going here depends on the time of year. Their food is very heavy (meatloaf, pot roast, fried chicken) and that is the last thing I want in the Florida heat. But if you are going at a cooler time of year its worth considering. Though I don't think a toddler would find anything interesting about it.

I don’t know about sci fi w a high chair. Can you sit at a car w a high chair or are you relegated to the tables?

If I recall correctly, if you need a highchair at Sci-Fi you have to sit at one of the tables that has chairs and no booths towards the front. They are the same tables they use for those in wheelchairs and they only have maybe 2 or 3 of them so you may have to wait quite awhile past your ADR until they are free. When my kids were toddlers they did not like Sci-Fi due to how dark it is and they thought the movie clipe were creepy. They love it now though. For those reasons I would choose 50s Prime Time.

I would say with a small one SciFi as it’s easier to keep their attention in there with the movies and atmosphere. A first timer will also like it. We always go there and while food is ok you can do worse.

50s would be good for first timer but not the little one as not much to keep their attention. Food is good but it’s the interactive nature that makes it good or not so.

So tough choice for sure and really one of your tastes.

Sci Fi 100%- great to see at least once and perfect for a first timer, VERY quiet inside! Food is ok and like PP stated it is dark, so those are the negatives.

If I recall correctly, if you need a highchair at Sci-Fi you have to sit at one of the tables that has chairs and no booths towards the front. They are the same tables they use for those in wheelchairs and they only have maybe 2 or 3 of them so you may have to wait quite awhile past your ADR until they are free. When my kids were toddlers they did not like Sci-Fi due to how dark it is and they thought the movie clipe were creepy. They love it now though. For those reasons I would choose 50s Prime Time.

What about booster seats?

Sci-Fi is very cool and wonderful for older kids, but a 22-month old is not really going to “get it”. At that age I would choose PTC; I even gritted my teeth and served my time at H&V when my kids were around that age.

What about booster seats?
I think that would fit in a standard "car" at Sci Fi, but I would caution that the car booth seating is tight. Its just DH and I when we go and its enough room for the two of us, but would be tight if we had a child in there with us. Especially a booster seat. That said, the tables are still an option there and you still get the same effect for the most part.

Sci Fi and 50s Prime Time are two of my favorite restaurants on property. Both are experiences you can only do at Disney, and there have been trips we've done both. They are different fare, but we'll do them on different days. I don't think the 22 month old will "get" either atmosphere, so which would your husband appreciate more? Do you guys prefer burgers and shakes or hearty comfort foods? If you both have outgoing personalities, you may have fun with the servers at 50s. If you're more introverted, Sci Fi may be better. A PP mentioned above that Sci Fi is the quietest meal at Disney and I tend to agree. While that's certainly not the expectation nor a requirement, it seems to just be the way it goes - I presume because the movie clips are playing and people are sitting side by side. Its just a quieter atmosphere, if that's at all a concern with a 22 month old.

I think that would fit in a standard "car" at Sci Fi, but I would caution that the car booth seating is tight. Its just DH and I when we go and its enough room for the two of us, but would be tight if we had a child in there with us. Especially a booster seat. That said, the tables are still an option there and you still get the same effect for the most part.

If a couple sits with a child in a booster in one of the car booths, someone's rear end is going to be half hanging off of the booth! Since the booths don't face each other you could have 1 adult by themself in one row and the child and parent in another but that doesn't sound like fun to me.

If a couple sits with a child in a booster in one of the car booths, someone's rear end is going to be half hanging off of the booth! Since the booths don't face each other you could have 1 adult by themself in one row and the child and parent in another but that doesn't sound like fun to me.
The booths are small, yes, but I don't know if it can be definitively said that it won't fit. It will depend on the size of the seat, the child, and the body type/size the OP and her husband. If OP wants to give it a shot, the worst case scenario will be that they either need two rows or will need to sit at a table.

The booths are small, yes, but I don't know if it can be definitively said that it won't fit. It will depend on the size of the seat, the child, and the body type/size the OP and her husband. If OP wants to give it a shot, the worst case scenario will be that they either need two rows or will need to sit at a table.
Yes, I stated the 'worst case scenario' if they don't fit, that the child and one adult are in one booth while the 2nd adult is in another. I generally don't enjoy paying money to sit alone and eat while my family sits behind me (well, I guess it depends what kind of day its been in the park :rotfl2:). Someone who hasn't dined there before may not realize that's what could happen if you don't fit in the booth together, just pointing it out :goodvibes

Neither will be a big deal for your little one. As mentioned before, Sci-Fi is dark, but it would be my choice since it feels more like a dining experience than Prime Time. I prefer the food at Sci-Fi, I cook plenty of the same types of food as PrimeTime serves so the menu is very ho-hum to me.

Yes, I stated the 'worst case scenario' if they don't fit, that the child and one adult are in one booth while the 2nd adult is in another. I generally don't enjoy paying money to sit alone and eat while my family sits behind me (well, I guess it depends what kind of day its been in the park :rotfl2:). Someone who hasn't dined there before may not realize that's what could happen if you don't fit in the booth together, just pointing it out :goodvibes
You can also choose to sit in the car tables in the back if you don't want to sit one in front of the other.

You can also choose to sit in the car tables in the back if you don't want to sit one in front of the other.
Yup, stated that. Unfortunately there are very few of those tables and anyone with a wheelchair who doesn't want to or can't transfer out of their wheelchair is also vying for those tables. You may have to wait quite awhile past your ADR time for one of those few tables to be free or you might have one ready for you when you arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!