Scooter ECV... bus/boat??

*Fantasia*

<font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c
Can Disney bus and the Epcot resort boat be able to accomodate the scooter? Or it has to be the electric wheelchair? I am considering renting a scooter for my mom.. and I am thinking of staying at one of the resort in Epcot area. Will use the bus and the boat to Epcot/MGM. Will the scooter be loaded in the bus/boat? Thanks for your help.

*Fantasia* said:
even the scooter kind? Will the scooter be loaded in the bus/boat?

I've only seen one kind of ECV....Electric Convenience Vehicle...a scooter...but there may be other configurations. They fit on WDW boats, buses, you name it... Just drive it on...or they will push it on for you/her if it's better that way...

*Fantasia* said:
Can Disney bus and the Epcot resort boat be able to accomodate the scooter? Or it has to be the electric wheelchair? I am considering renting a scooter for my mom.. and I am thinking of staying at one of the resort in Epcot area. Will use the bus and the boat to Epcot/MGM. Will the scooter be loaded in the bus/boat? Thanks for your help.

Hi Fantasia :wave2:
Here are some threads about ECV and Buses and Boats.
I have used my rented offsite EVC on many of Disney's buses with no problems. I have never the EVC on a boat. I hope to use the ferry from the MK to Fw this October however and I will let you know if I have any problems.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713
post 4 gives info on EVC and the buses

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=882381&highlight=wheelchair+boats
This thread is about EVC's and boats

Have fun with your parents at Disney!
Linda

I rent an ECV from an off site supplier & have been on the WDW busses, boats & monorail without a problem. It gets a little getting used to when you have to back up, for example, to get on the bus, but it is doable.

Sorry, Fantasia - I was still half-asleep when I answered you the first time. Usually I'm a LOT more talkative!

To the best of my knowledge, ALL scooters can fit on ALL buses (unless there are already two scooter/wheelchair Guests on the bus already). The guidebooks warn you that some ECVs may be too long to fit on the lift. I've never had/seen this happen, but then you just need to wait for a bus with a ramp - ask the driver to call for one for you or if you're leaving a park, one of the Transportation CMs can do it. Also, if your mom is nervous about steering it on and off the bus and she can handle the bus steps, you can load it for her. Keep in mind, most times the drivers require you to back onto the bus - but see the sticky at the top of the disAbilities page about boarding buses. I think you can insist on driving forward.
All boat transportation should be able to handle the scooter as well, but it may depend on water level. I know OKW and DtD have ramps on the dock they can put in place if the boat isn't TOO far above of below the dock, and I'm 100% certain the MK ferry uses a ramp so that should not be a problem.
Also, the monorail is accessible. At MK and the TTC, you need to use the ramps up and down from the platform, but there's an elevator at Epcot, although you probably won't all be able to fit in it and you MAY need to find someone to unlock it.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Just to make sure... I have the link to the picture of the scooter to share. I just would hate to rent it and come to find out Disney will not board it on the bus nor the boat. Please check it out and let me know if this is okay? Thanks so much! All your infos are greatly appreciated. :)

Electric Scooter Pix Link
PS... sorry for all these questions... we've never used one.. and I am just a little nervous. I just want to make sure I know what to expect when I get there so I can prepare myself and my mother. I am going to make sure she gets enough practice at Target or Walmart..or wherever there's an EVC or scooter. Thanks again for your help and understanding. :)

Hi,
I've used a similar ECV(scooter) on all WDW modes of transportation, all the types of busses, the Epcot area friendship boats, the boat from Wilderness Lodge. The only time there was any hint of problem was going to HDDR via boat. The water level was a little low but with help from my DH I was able to get on and off. You drive onto the boats. The busses may have a lift that the scooter is backed onto then the driver raises it or a ramp that the scooter is driven/backed up.
BTW there is no bus from the Epcot resorts to MGM or EPCOT. You either take the boats or walk.
Have a great trip.

Thanks Nanajo for the info. I'm sorry but what is HDDR? I am terrible with the abreviations. I'm glad to know that I can take the scooter on the bus and the boat. I just wanted to make sure that I rent the right scooter. Thanks again!

HDDR= Hoop Dee Do Revue at Fort Wilderness.
I love my scooter. It gives me such freedom.

Okay, that looks a lot like the scooter I rented from Randy's, except mine was blue and could be taken apart for car transport (never again, but that's a different story entirely :))
So, yes, you should have NO trouble getting this scooter on and off Disney transportation - except maybe the backing-up part.

kaytieeldr said:
Okay, that looks a lot like the scooter I rented from Randy's, except mine was blue and could be taken apart for car transport (never again, but that's a different story entirely :))
So, yes, you should have NO trouble getting this scooter on and off Disney transportation - except maybe the backing-up part.
O oh... never again? Was it hard to manuver (sp?) Doesn't this scooter have a reverse? i hope my mom will do fine with this scooter. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Nanajo1.

The scooters back up when you depress the left lever. The three wheel scooters are easier to drive than the 4 wheeler. Remember the direction of the front wheel determines the direction the scooter goes even when backing up.

Okay, after this, NO more replies until I have somebody else proofread them to make sure I'm saying what I mean! :sunny:

Nope, I WILL continue to rent scooters from reputable off-site companies like the ones in the sticky FAQ here. I just meant I'm never going to transport one in the trunk of my car again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone from maintenance at my off-site hotel had to help me disassemble it and get it into the car (and the housing for the battery blew across the parking lot while we were doing this :)) and two Cast Members at OKW had to get it out of the trunk and help me put it back together!

kaytieeldr , thank you for explaining. I suppose if I am not going to rent a minivan, then I won't need one that you can take apart. I guess that's the reason I do want to stay on site and want to be near Epcot and MGM for easy transportation. I appreicate all the help you gave me. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter