Scooter for teenage GrD?

bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Is there anything I need to know to make this happen? My DGrD15 (large 6' tall) would be nearly impossible for me to push through the parks in a regular wheelchair due to my own limitations. She recently had an emergency knee surgery and her Dr cleared her to go on our long-planned trip to WDW, but advised she use a scooter and avoid too much walking (she can do short distances). Does Disney allow people under age 18 to operate scooters in the parks? Will I need a letter from her Dr? I am scrambling to make this trip possible - I would rent an off site scooter since we are not going into the parks until late-day at a busy time of year and I would worry they would be out of them. TIA any advice!

You can try Randy's Mobility -- I think they have rented to older teens in the past, but usually only those who have experience using a scooter at home. Neither WDW nor the offsite vendors (other than Randy's) will allow rental for use by someone under age 18. You may need to ask her doctor where a scooter can be rented near home to take with you. Or try a local Lions' Club or other service organization, sometimes they have mobility equipment to borrow.

Enjoy your vacation!

Only if she uses one at home for daily life. And then only from one or two offsite places. Disney is firm on the 18 minimum age limit to operate theirs

Agreeing with the other posters.
It says on the WDW website that guests must be 18 years or older to rent or operate one of WDW Park ECVs.

I have heard from multiple people that Randy’s will rent for use by older teens. They deliver the ECV directly to the guest, do some demonstration / instruction and then determine if they feel the teen is capable/ mature to use the ECV.

We met a family at the Boardwalk last month who had rented a scooter from Walker Mobility for their daughter who has hip displasia (?). They said they were never asked her age when renting when I expressed surprise that the company would rent to a 14 year old. And she did not use one regularly as she was very nervous (especially parking it on the bus), and they were hoping it would eventually make teaching her to drive easier. We saw them 2-3 times over a several day period and the girl was using the scooter each time.

We rented one a couple years ago for my then 12 year old. Might have been Florida Mobility? It was no issue at all with them. They deliver to your resort. She had broken her leg so this worked out perfect for us.

I just went back through my emails. It was definitely Florida Mobility Rentals that we used. And I emailed them ahead of time to ask if they were okay with my then 12 year old driving it and when they dropped it off to us they showed her how to use it. I was very clear with her age as I was concerned it would be an issue. She did just fine with it and often had my then 3 year old riding along with her. I’d just call them. They were very responsive to email.

It’s just important to check, because most of the companies don’t allow. Randy’s is one I am personally aware of. If yours was OK with it, you’re fine.

Also, check the rental agreement. Most do specify one rider and no passengers. I’ve almost gotten run over twice with a ‘lap child’. One of them, the child had his hands on the steering yoke. Another, the child pointed at something, hitting the driver’s arm. I’ve also seen a child fall off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter